Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (URGENT) Oscar Needs Help

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 2 weeks 1 day ago #72441

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 6
This bad boy is top of the line and if you plan on going into saltwater someday, is compatible with apex controllers. It is pretty expensive but will save you money on the long run as it is pretty energy efficient.

I would add maybe 5 (cattapa leaves) to start off and then just add them once a week. Remember it's better to add a variety of sources for the humic substances than to just add a bunch of one source. Alder cones, cattapa leaves, and peat filtration seem to be the most popular.

- Aquamoo
The administrator has disabled public write access.

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 2 weeks 1 day ago #72442

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
Oscarmon wrote:
Yes, that's what I've been planning on. There should be plenty of room in a 30 or 40 gallon sump, right?

I'm assuming purigen will not negatively react with these substances.

Two questions:

How much of these substances?

Any good controllable pumps with about 1000gph?
I want one that will last a long time.

Is this purigen some kind of ion exchanger? Is it rechargable with Salt?

For the leafs. Just get like 10 to a 100G and let them in the tank itself. Oscars go nuts on them and carry them around.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 2 weeks 1 day ago #72444

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Toom, no it's not rechargeable with salt as far as I know. I'll check about the ion exchange.

Aquamoo, do you have any personal experience with this pump? Just wondering.

Also, do you mean adding 5 leaves in the refugium area to begin, then every week moving one from the refugium into the tank itself? Or every week add another leaf in the refugium space.

I'll see where to find alder cones later, too.

Thanks for the help so far! I can't wait until I get started on the switch.

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 2 weeks 1 day ago #72445

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
It seems I made a mistake! :pinch: The cor-20 is the standalone model that works with an apex, the cor-15 is the model that requires an apex. While I don't personally have either, my friend has a cor-20 along with an entire apex system for his reef tank which he really likes.

I would probably go with what Toom said about the cattapa leaves, but after the initial 10, add them once a week alternating between in the main tank and in the sump (but after the biomedia or before the mechanical filtration when put inside the sump).

- Aquamoo

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 1 week 2 days ago #72460

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Just now I unloaded the new tank with some help. It's not new either, actually. A 90 gallon.
Came with the stand, a t5 light and the tank itself for $100. Holds water too. :)

I ended up going with this person because the previous wouldn't reply to my messages. So no 110.

What I really want to know is whether the back panel is tempered or not. I personally know of not 1 company that has a tempered back panel for their 90g. Nonetheless I knocked on the bottom and side panel to see if there was difference. There was. I'm assuming this tank has non-tempered sides but I want to know for sure. What do you recommend doing?

Thanks

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 1 week 1 day ago #72461

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Also, since this was once a saltwater tank. How should I clean it?

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 1 week 1 day ago #72462

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 220
Pure white vinegar will clean it to like new. If really scaled over, crusty, a sharp blade will help. For super duper nasty, acetone will work. Dont get any acetone on the silicone seals. Bottom may well be tempered, unlikely anything else. Is this a standard 48x18 90, or that oddball you were previously looking into?
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 1 week 1 day ago #72463

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Thanks, I'm pretty sure I used vinegar last time.

No, this isn't the oddball. It's a standard 48x18in. In some places I'll probably end up using a blade (Picture maybe tomorrow) to get the junk out of it.

I ended up taking some silicone out of 2 of the bottom corners. I'm going to figure out why the previous owner put it there and reseal it, as it was old and peeling.

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 1 week 9 hours ago #72466

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 220
Congrats, its a much better home for your Oscar. I have seen the same thing, where someone has just put a bead, of patch of sil on the original sil. Waste of time, as new wont stick to old. If you mean you are going to do a reseal, be aware that all, and I mean every spec of old silicone must be removed. Even residue that you dont see. Its not difficult to reseal a tank, but there is no margin for error. YouTube has some how-to vids. Cleaning and sterilizing the glass is the critical key to success.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 1 week 8 hours ago #72467

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Great! I'll check some out.

Since It's just two bottom corners do I have to reseal the whole thing?
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds