Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: injury to my oscar eye

injury to my oscar eye 7 months 4 weeks ago #71970

• prania
  • Poecilia reticulata
hi Lokie, my oscar has this hole over his right eye. its strange shape and i dont know how he got it. how do i treat it? can i send a picture?

His water is clean. no hole in head anywhere im worried it may affect his sight

thanks

urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https...TRTMmQX6GjGk3s43wA&e
The administrator has disabled public write access.

injury to my oscar eye 7 months 4 weeks ago #71972

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185
good news.. he doesnt seem to be acting hurt..lol...hungry maybe..
not sure what meds you have like melafix..keep your water spotless while an admin responds.. i would do water changes daily to prevent a bacterial infection.
they are clumsy.. what decorations are in tank?
sharp rocks?
180 oscar/silver $$s/pleco
75 female JD
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)- RIP 6/11/17
2 english bulldogs
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores-

injury to my oscar eye 7 months 3 weeks ago #71982

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 495
Could be a mechanical injury... but the areas around some of his sensory pits do look a bit eroded. Have you tested water recently?
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

injury to my oscar eye 7 months 3 weeks ago #71987

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 220
~rush~ wrote:
Could be a mechanical injury... but the areas around some of his sensory pits do look a bit eroded. Have you tested water recently?
Completely agree, there is significant erosion around the nostrils. Hith will follow if not corrected asap. You say water is clean, but fish shows signs of living in sketchy water. Looks clean and is clean are totally different.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

injury to my oscar eye 1 month 1 week ago #72387

• prania
  • Poecilia reticulata
hi, some how one of my fluval 306 filters stopped working and i didnt know it. the outtake so i ordered new parts and replaced it. i also cleaned the media before replaing the parts because the nitrates were through the roof, 40ppm. i i did a 60 water change and fixed filter. week later, same results, so 2 days ago i took out other filter and cleaned all the media, cleaned gravel, took down 50% of water and i just tested it and its still high. i have nothing in the tank besides Lokie. he is large and 8 years old and im concerned this hole in the head isnt getting better but i know its the water but i keep changing i t, what could it be? it looks clean. i cleaned the media. and gravel and took out 50% of the water twice within a weeks time. i dont know what else to do. please advise

you guys have saved me so many times, well my fish anyway,

thank you

injury to my oscar eye 1 month 1 week ago #72391

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 220
Cleaning mechanical media is good. Cleaning bio media may have killed off a big percentage of beneficial bacteria, although showing high nitrate indicates some cycle intact. No mention of tank size? What is it? Big old Oscar in something like 50-60gals may need a 3x weekly water change. You may be having a bad test result, expired kit, or maybe you not doing it correctly? You may have nitrate in the tap water. Lets assume tap water is good. With an in tank level of 40ppm, a simple 50% w/c will lower nitrate to 20ppm. 75% would drop it to 10ppm. With a fish like Lokie, big and old, showing signs of hith, I would be doing large water changes every day until I saw at least a halt to hith progression. He needs a consistent nitrate level of 10ppm maximum. Do whatever it takes to make that happen
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

injury to my oscar eye 1 week 5 days ago #72452

• prania
  • Poecilia reticulata
hello, i need serious help with my 8.5 year old black and orange tiger oscar. for over a month now i have not been able to get the water regulated and he is doing so poorly. About 6 weeks ago, one of the canister filters had stopped working and i didnt know it until a week later when tank was all cloudy. since then he has bad hole in the head. the whole is spreading over his eye, it is HUGE. i ordered metrinozole or whatever that is called on line in a powder form. waiting for it to be delivered.

i have a 75 gallon tank with 2 fluval 306 canister filters underneath. there is nothing in the tank besides 2 aerators and gravel. 2 days ago i emptied 85% of the water. this morning it had a brownish tint to it and he was not in good shape, so i took out about 20 gallons before i went to work and added some fresh back in until i get home. i have been doing 3 water changes a week, i think i need to do it everyday. so i had it under control until i lost power a week ago and then it went down hill again. i have moved with this fish 4 times and we survived alot and i dont want him to die as a result of my poor care taking skills. i dont know what else to do.

i am going home shortly and i am going to remove all the gravel and take the water down again and change 90% of it. then test it, i will test it before i empty it as well. i see your post below about do whatever it takes to make that happen! water change everyday is what i am going to do.

right?? is that what i should do? take out gravel and water change

thank you

injury to my oscar eye 1 week 5 days ago #72453

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 6
When you do water changes are you vacuuming the gravel? A bigger tank would be really helpful for him or if you could buy a small plastic pool that could hold a couple hundred gallons it would be a huge improvement in water quality. What are you feeding your Oscar? 2 days after a 85% water change the water should not be tinting brown... Do you have anything your putting into the tank like cattapa leaves? You should consider adding some forms of humic substances as their healing properties could be really beneficial for your Oscars recovery chance.

- Aquamoo

injury to my oscar eye 1 week 4 days ago #72454

• prania
  • Poecilia reticulata
no thing in tank except aerators, but the disease is spreading across his body, its awful. i am changing water daily and its pristine but its still looks like its spreading. i am considering euthanizing him. its just horrible. i want to send a pic how do i do that? i ordered metronidazole, he isnt eating and is not moving around so much, any advice???

injury to my oscar eye 1 week 4 days ago #72455

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 6
Click here to upload using photobucket, you will still have to get the direct link to the image and then when you post it on the forum click the image link button (two to the left of the ebay link) and paste the direct link of the photobucket image. Alternately you could just post the link to the image on photobucket instead of uploading it here.

Good luck with treatment.

- Aquamoo
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds