Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Amphilophus trimaculatus Take 2

Amphilophus trimaculatus Take 2 3 months 6 days ago #72319

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
Some times time don't work for you. Last december i got a good batch of trimaculatus fry. Growed them out for months till the biggest reached male convict size and than it happened.
My beloved Trimaculatus that I raised from 2 days free swimmers to like 13 cm in size turned out to be some dull looking hybrids.
Shape was trimac but pattern and spotting more like Mayaheros.
Well this was not that i wanted. So it tooked me again more than a half year to get a pure strain of Trimaculatus.
An very well known men in the Hobbys here in Germany got an F1 pair of another good known Fish keeper. He got them to spawn quickly. The pair broked up and started to rampage but he could safe a good batch of fry and raised them to about 2 to 2.5".
He knowed that i was looking for them for like 2 years in this kind of quality and asked me if I want to get down the half country and hand pick some out of his 20 ones left.
So I made a 600 km road trip to get some new Baby trimaculatus and all are more or less the quality of this little guy what is the dominant out of the group of 5.

Now it's not starting from point blank but kind of a restart but this will be a propper Trimaculatus. No dull hybrid but also no fancy Flowerhorn just a pure nasty T mac

We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ernie14

Amphilophus trimaculatus Take 2 3 months 5 days ago #72320

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder

Here the ones i growed out from 2 day old free swimmers. I saw the Patents itself and and i can't explain this myself why the fry looks like this and the Patents like that.

The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

Amphilophus trimaculatus Take 2 2 months 21 hours ago #72349

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 495
Hows the little trimac doing?
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Amphilophus trimaculatus Take 2 2 weeks 14 hours ago #72447

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 6
How are the Trimacs doing toom?

Amphilophus trimaculatus Take 2 2 weeks 8 minutes ago #72448

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
I need to upload again. I redused to two. Im very optimistic this two are 1/1

The bigger one is deffently male the other one is to 95% female still to spot in the dorsal what is not that big of a sign.

The bigger one is now arround 5 to 5.5" and becomed very mean hitting the other one from time to time but leaves the remaining Amatitlania mostly alone. They also become less and less shy and hard hitters on food what is great fun.

Real Trimacs are always hard to keep. I have to admit i would do it different know.
I reduced the numbers to early. I wanted the best looking ones but you need devider fish to reduce aggression.
I also would not recommend to try keeping this guys long term in smaller tanks if you don't plan to devide with a love door for the female.
Also if you have to separate always remove the dominant one and not the beaten down one.

I learned this after i reduced the Amatitlania. I had 4 pairs in there and sold two. Than I restocked the same species but with non paired up 4 fish to may let them also pair up.
The Bigmac killed the exact 4 fish in a single night, bit leaving the other ones that was theer before them alone.

After i reduced two 2 trimaculatus and 4 Amatitlania in the 220 i thought the tank may can handle a bit of dithers. I tried 15 big Tiger barbs. Well had to recatch them after like 50 minutes after again.
It worked and the cichlids where more out but the evil Mac lurking under them and doing random attacks.
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds