Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional category header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC: RiP Oscarfish.com ?

RiP Oscarfish.com ? 1 month 1 week ago #72379

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 5
That post is for admins and advice team members only, copy paste / synopsis of the post?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RiP Oscarfish.com ? 1 month 1 week ago #72382

• ted
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
Aquamoo wrote:
That post is for admins and advice team members only, copy paste / synopsis of the post?

Oops! Ok, keep in mind, this is 4+ years ago. I suspect the mobile users are up in percentage from then quite a bit.

As mentioned in another thread, I have been looking into some stats related to the site. A couple of Interesting Stats that may surprise you.....

The number of site visits was up 23.15% last year, over the previous year.
The number of new site visitors was up 26.09%, over the past year.

Those two numbers are telling me that I am getting at least part of my job done properly, getting people to the site. But, you are likely asking yourself, if more visitors, where are the posts? That's evident in the following stats:

Page Views is down 9.69%
Pages/Visit is down 26.66%
Average Time on Site is down 20.9%

So we are getting people to the site and they are not hanging around and posting. Why is that? Some of it may be site appearance and format. But if you dig deeper, you find the MAIN reason.

The number of iPhone users is up 46%
The number of Android users is up 49%

This is further evidence of what I always try and teach upper level management at my office. People consume data from mobile devices, they don't produce shit. Our site requires people to "produce" (create and respond to threads) and this is too troublesome from a mobile device so they just don't do so.... or least are less likely to do so. I'm not sure how to address the issue. I certainly don't have the skills or staff to develop the killer "facebook" app that may or may not encourage people to participate more in the forums. :dry:

People are looking at mobile connectivity to enhance productivity and I have a hard time getting folks to understand that only applies to people who consume information. People who produce information still need a full sized screen, mouse, and keyboard.

And the limits in the number of posts and threads on Oscarfish.com is further evidence of this.

RiP Oscarfish.com ? 1 month 1 week ago #72384

• Aquamoo
Interesting, while the site definitely does not have a "modern" appearance, the information here is on a class of it's own.The login bug is annoying but (at least for me) is easily fixed by clicking go back and logging in again. If the site was stylized a little better and reformatted a bit, I think it could make a comeback. Another thing that's probably keeping a lot of people from checking out the site is that it's not https secured.

RiP Oscarfish.com ? 1 month 5 days ago #72389

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 219
Most forums are very slow, some stagnant. If not Facebook based, interest is waning. Not just fish forums, other hobbies are seeing a big drop off as well
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

RiP Oscarfish.com ? 1 month 3 days ago #72395

• ironside
  • Poecilia reticulata
If it's any consolation guys, OscarFishlover.com has taken quite a hit in the last year also as well. The forum isn't any more active than this one so you are not alone in suffering from lack of activity. Social media is more than likely to blame for our demise in forum activity. Facebook is very popular and there are countless pages dedicated to tropical fish and Oscars. I'm afraid forums are becoming redundant.

RiP Oscarfish.com ? 1 month 2 days ago #72396

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
ironside wrote:
If it's any consolation guys, OscarFishlover.com has taken quite a hit in the last year also as well. The forum isn't any more active than this one so you are not alone in suffering from lack of activity. Social media is more than likely to blame for our demise in forum activity. Facebook is very popular and there are countless pages dedicated to tropical fish and Oscars. I'm afraid forums are becoming redundant.

Very likley, its an easy one button solution. Like you said especially Facebook is full of Fish groups you have a fast connection to others you can upload pictures and videos and you have a fairly large community.

We may sleeped on this and the Forums had to be the first ones using this new medias.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

RiP Oscarfish.com ? 1 month 2 days ago #72397

• ohern4ever
  • Thank you received: 2
Well that somewhat screws me over if Facebook is the place to be for fish groups as I do not have a Facebook page and I will never get one.

As I noted before, if we can fix the fatal error with the sign off I think that would do a lot towards keeping the ship afloat. As I mentioned before I am willing to chip in to get that one item fixed to see if that makes any difference.

RiP Oscarfish.com ? 1 month 1 day ago #72398

• pacu mom
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 9
Too bad. I learned the fundamentals of fish keeping on O Fish--the Nitrogen Cycle. And even though I'm a member of several fish forums on FB, I hate to see the demise of this forum. It will always be special to me.

photos.app.goo.gl/cUYjAbCJG6qFxYw76

My big tank upgrade is still a work in progress.

photos.app.goo.gl/Ws1hyV2hm2mSjLNQ9

photos.app.goo.gl/tPBb2s97oLMKfjxi8

RiP Oscarfish.com ? 1 month 1 day ago #72399

• Aquamoo
WOW, that must be a couple thousand gallons, you plan on keeping Pacu in there/ what's the stock? You must have had to really beef up your floor supports huh, that tank's gonna be super heavy when you fill it. What are the dimensions?
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds