Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 40 breeder Journal

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 5 months 6 days ago #71800

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 493
Yeah, I'm not sure what to think about it just yet. This stuff is really thin. The last time I did a sump, I think I had 1/4inch acrylic... this stuff is closer to 1/8 inch. So I'm unsure if it will hold up to the weight of the water in the tank. People are skeptical over on reef central as well. But I'll water test it tonight to see what happens. Can't hurt to try it out. If a seal busts, I'll go to some thicker stuff.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 5 months 5 days ago #71801

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 442
I did not noticed that you drilled the tanks. My best redults where with a regular fast turning power drill. Most cordles power drills only run max to 1700 rpm.

Seems with more than 2000/2500 rpm nearly no pushing and more soft grinding and alot of sprayed water makes the difference.
I drilled like 100+ holes in Glas but it's always thrilling :P
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 5 months 3 days ago #71802

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
I used a corded drill - hitachi. I'm unsure what the rpm on it is but I dialed it back because the torque and speed are usually overkill for what i need it for most of the time. It went well. I'll definitely try it again on my next setup too I think.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 5 months 3 days ago #71804

• buehler
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
Glad to see the build coming along nicely! I don't think I would have the stomach to drill my own tank :pinch: No doubt I would bust it.

You said you are using rock you already had for the tank? You have any ideas yet for the aquascape?
10 gallon IM Fusion - Zoa Tank
Eagle Eye Zoas
Scrambled Eggs Zoas
Utter Chaos Palyzoas
Fire and Ice Zoas
Pipe coral
Ricordea Mushrooms
Rhodactis Mushrooms
Glove Polyps

phryno.wordpress.com

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 5 months 1 day ago #71810

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Nope, no ideas for aqua scape. Trying not to look past plumbing and drilling and getting everything water tight. Once I'm confident in the bulk heads and pvc seals, I will start to day dream a little more about that kind of stuff.

So we are done painting. The wife and kids did a bang up job if you ask me. We were originally going to do a distressed look, but I think I like it the way it is personally.

I did some plumbing right out of the pump last night so that I could add the ball valve, and got that all measured and cemented. Should be able to fit everything together tonight and water test once again.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 5 months 1 day ago #71812

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
It looks really good Rush....stuff to feel proud about!!

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 5 months 10 hours ago #71815

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Thank you!

Little good news bad news update here. I put everything together last night after plumbing the return pump and ball valve. Moved the sump in and filled everything up to give it a water test. The front baffle in the sump popped loose from the silicone... so it looks like I'm going to have to rip those out and go with glass, or thicker acrylic. After hearing others experiences I might look into having some glass cut - I guess silicone bonds glass joints together on a chemical level, which is why the bonds are so strong. With acrylic its just a fastener, and if you factor in that most of those acrylic baffles bend a little shifting the silicone joints it's a wonder more acrylic to glass joints don't fail. Anyway it's a delay, but not a disaster.

The bulkheads are still water tight and the pvc to ball valve is also water tight. So after I get the sump baffles taken care of we are golden. It will be time for sand and rock at that point. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 4 months 3 weeks ago #71833

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Alright guys I'm back. Had a short vaca in Virginia to see my brother but I'm back home and ready to pick things up where I left off. After work today I'm going to swing by lowes and either pick up a thicker sheet of acrylic or have some glass cut... depends on the employee there. If they've got a guy that knows what he's doing I'll get the glass, if not, acrylic. I need to pick up some salt and we'll see what the local ma and pa has for sand. If they have some decent stuff I'll grab that as well. I think I'm going to adjust the vinyl tubing in the sump as well. It's not quite cut to fit and as a result it pushes the pump off to one side and I think that's creating a lot of vibration and hence noise. It's not that bad since its downstairs and I don't have to listen to it, but as long as I'm draining the sump I might as well take advantage of the opportunity. I'll also be scoping the lfs for a chunk of live rock. I know they don't sell it in bulk anymore but if I can just grab one piece it should really help jump start the cycling process.

Things I need to keep in mind - Suspending light - still haven't really nailed this down. I was originally planning on making a shelf to match the stand, paint it and have the same trim, but after holding the light above the tank myself, the shelf would really have to stick out around 14-16 inches from the wall to be able to suspend the light where I want it. I'm thinking I should be able to mount the cables (came with the light) to the floor joists in the basement. I have the recessed ceiling tiles or whatever you call them, so it's as easy as pushing a tile away to see where I can add a few screws. The tricky part will be getting the light suspended where I want it.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 4 months 2 weeks ago #71848

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
OK guys I did a little more work this week. I got the sump drained and pulled out the first baffle, the one that had collapsed. I replaced it with the. 220 inch acrylic. I only replaced that one because the second baffle is suspended (bubble wall) and the last one only really has to hold the water between the first baffle and itself. Overall the thicker acrylic is much more sturdy and is what I would recommend for anyone else doing a sump. It doesn't bow at all under the pressure, so the silicone is much more likely to hold up. I water tested that the following day and it held perfectly. I also cut down the vinyl tubing in the back and the return pump now sits evenly and has reduced the vibration a lot. After these two adjustments I put the sump back under the tank hooked up the return pump and filled the tank. The water test was successful, sump baffle held, so I went to the store and picked up sand and salt. I then made a classic rookie mistake and did not rinse the sand before I put it in the tank. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I did four 90% water changes and let the filter sock catch the rest overnight.

I pulled back my ceiling tiles and mounted a piece of plywood across the floor joists. This allowed me to put ceiling hooks in directly above the tank. A little bit of thin gauge wire and some eyeballing and the light fixture was in place.

A day or two after the sand was put in things cleared up and it was time to add rock. I also managed to grab two pieces of live rock from the pet store roughly 10 pounds. Hopefully that will speed up the cycle.

Things are looking good. Just gotta give the cycle some time to get a move on. I'll be 'feeding' the tank food daily - in the amount I imagine the stock I plan to acquire would need - so as to culture a bacteria colony roughly the size that I will need for my future fish. Still thinking about ordering online. Everything from F&S, one and done, no quarantine, just in and done. Or getting a few things here and there from the LFS....

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 4 months 2 weeks ago #71856

• buehler
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
Tank and stand look really sharp Rush! Glad to see you got the sump baffle problem squared away, Not something you want to fail while the tank is running. Was it too difficult find glass pieces cut to size for the sump?

I think the a few things here and there approach is more fun. You never know what goodies are going to pop up, but if you have a plan in mind then it may be easier to just order it all online.
10 gallon IM Fusion - Zoa Tank
Eagle Eye Zoas
Scrambled Eggs Zoas
Utter Chaos Palyzoas
Fire and Ice Zoas
Pipe coral
Ricordea Mushrooms
Rhodactis Mushrooms
Glove Polyps

phryno.wordpress.com
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds