Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 40 breeder Journal

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 6 months 3 weeks ago #71981

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 494
This is the one!
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 6 months 2 weeks ago #71998

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Update: 4/25/18

I took the kids to the pet store yesterday and picked up 3 damsels. Two 3-stripe damsels and one Domino damsel. They look healthy and acclimated well to the tank.

The reason I added these guys is mainly because the others in the tank were still really skittish. The clowns were the only ones who really moved about. The cardinal would hang out underneath the overflow box and pretty much not move most of the night. The blenny poked is head out from the rockwork just enough so he could see.

After about 3 hours of getting used to their surroundings the damsels were out. Moving around chasing one another looking for food. It was an instant change in mood for the whole tank. The clowns moved around more, the banggai came out to the front and I saw the blenny come out more in the 20 minutes I sat watching the tank than I had the previous week. It made a huge difference. Assuming they all stay healthy, the tank is at a harmonious balance currently. I still would like to get that royal gramma, then in the future when I need to thin the herd (I'm assuming I'm already over stocked a tad long term) I can just pluck out the damsels.

Also... a bit of an impulse buy... not really though considering I have been researching a bit. I bought a 3 pack of rainbow bubble tips from a vendor off ebay. I'm assuming they will be shipped today sometime for delivery tomorrow. I have a short day tomorrow assuming no emergencies come in at work, so I should be able to grab them and start acclimation right away. I am a bit nervous about this being I have not been successful with any anemones in the past. But I have the light to sustain them, I have good flow, my water parameters are good and have been stable. I think that I may rearrange the rockwork a bit tonight and glue stuff down, but other than that I am ready for them. Stay tuned for pics.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 6 months 1 week ago #72013

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
4/30/18

The tank is in the beginning of the diatom algae phase. The rocks are turning brown and there is brown algae accumulating on the power heads and loc line and overflow. It's not bad right now but I did forget how annoying it is. Hopefully it won't last too long. Skimmer is skimming well, and I need to empty it about every 5 days or so. Not really a thick skim yet, mostly still light green and watery.

Fish are doing great. Since the addition of the damsels the community feel is palpable. All of the fish move about a lot more now and I see the blenny more often than ever. I did notice one of the three damsels had some serious nips in his tail which i did expect. I am watching closely though as none of these fish went through quarantine. I still don't feel really comfortable with food yet. I have been feeding primarily NLS pellets but I think I'm going to order some different stuff and just present a variety to them. They do take to spirulina infused brine shrimp, but I don't want to feed that regularly. I'll grab some PE mysis shrimp, and find a good staple for them.

BTA Update - The bubble tips have been doing well so far. I bought them off eBay (buy it now, not the auction) from LAreefs. The package was for 3 bubble tips. All arrived in good condition. Only one really looked irritated. I acclimated them and got them into the tank in places where I thought they could have a good place for the foot to grab hold of the rock like a crevice or a small hole (about the size of a nickel or slightly larger). All three took to the places I had chosen for them and as of today still have not moved. Most of the day they are bubbled up nicely. I even fed them some brine shrimp yesterday. So far they are doing well. I need to do one thing and that's cover the powerhead with a sponge of some sort so if they do bust loose the powerhead doesn't chop them up.

FTS

Bubble tips 1 & 2

Bubble tip 3
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD4321

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 6 months 1 week ago #72015

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
The tank is looking goooood. Did I miss the filtration system?

As far as algae, I must agree. I have slight OCD so when ever there's algae or even a hair floating in the tank I'm tempted to take it out. (the hair I always do, it depends how much algae because I know a little is good).

No lid?

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 6 months 1 week ago #72018

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Biological filtration is carried out primarily by the live rock in the system. There isn't much for mechanical filtration except for a filter sock and the cleanup crew. A large portion of nutrient export is done with the protein skimmer.

Nope, no lid. while the threat of jumping fish is a significant thing to consider, lids really are problematic for salt creep. It can accumulate pretty quickly actually and become another source of daily maintenance. I personally prefer not to have one.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 6 months 1 week ago #72019

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
That's actually a really good reason I never thought of for a saltwater tank...

Don't you worry about dust/bugs getting in it? I once had a pair of cichlids that ate a lady bug (probably not good for their health).

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 6 months 1 week ago #72021

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Yea the bugs are annoying. Its warming up here and the lady bugs are a problem in the house right now. A handful have landed in the tank (attracted to the light I suppose) but they just end up in the filter sock, or the overflow mesh. So far it's just a nuisance.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 6 months 1 week ago #72031

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Overflows seem to be the best option for these kinds of situations.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 6 months 3 days ago #72059

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Update: 5/9

Tank is doing well. Diatom phase seems to be mellowing out a bit. Water is still a bit cloudy, but the rocks seem to be taking on a green color. Hopefully some coralline algae starts up soon.

About a week ago I added the final piece to the stock list - royal gramma. This guy is unfortunately as shy as the bicolor blenny. He hides most of the day. When I turn the pumps and powerheads off to feed Mysis he will come out. He doesn't seem skittish, or afraid, but he definitely isn't at the front of the tank or out cruising a lot. Hopefully with time he will come out more. The clowns and banggai and all damsels are doing well. They have taken to the NLS pellets and really go to town on the Mysis shrimp. I noticed that they look round in the belly after feedings which is always encouraging.

BTA's are all doing well. They have grown noticeably. The BTA I keep in the middle of the tank has moved down a tad bit. I think he had the most direct lighting and it was a tad too much for him, so he moved down behind the rockwork. I can still see him but I may have to turn that rock towards the front of the tank just so I can view him more. Tentacles seem to be getting longer on all nems. I have fed them small bits of Mysis and brine shrimp on 2-3 occasions now. I may try small cut up pieces of shrimp next.

40 breeder Journal 5 months 1 week ago #72103

• buehler
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
Exciting to see some live stock in the tank! How have the BTAs been these last few weeks? Has the RG come around a little more with some time?
10 gallon IM Fusion - Zoa Tank
Eagle Eye Zoas
Scrambled Eggs Zoas
Utter Chaos Palyzoas
Fire and Ice Zoas
Pipe coral
Ricordea Mushrooms
Rhodactis Mushrooms
Glove Polyps

phryno.wordpress.com
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds