Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 40 breeder Journal

40 breeder Journal 3 months 1 week ago #71627

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 492
It's time.

My 40 breeder has been sitting empty ever since I bought it 3? years ago? Time to fix that. I have a complete overflow kit/return kit on the way, and plan to drill the tank. I'm going to use my 20g as a sump. I've got the live rock already. I've got a SRO 1000SS skimmer. I'm going to order Quiet one 3000 return pump. Jager heater. Plan on buying a chinese box light (viparspectra) 165w LED.

Haven't completely decided on stock yet. I know I want a pair of clowns again, probably either a coral banded shrimp or a fire shrimp... We'll decide on other inhabitants later. I do plan on doing corals at some point as well but I'm trying not to get a head of myself just yet. I'd like to get the tank up and running and fine tune stuff before I drop more cash on corals.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 3 months 1 week ago #71633

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Ok guys, I've got a few minutes to explain my setup a little better for those who are interested.

First things first, the tank. I ordered the 700 Complete in-and-out kit from www.glass-holes.com. The kit comprises of an overflow box, glass hole saw, and return kit with flexible tubing, return bulk head, and loc line fittings and nozzles. The overflow box can accommodate 700 gallons per hour turn over rate. The pump I have does 758gph, but I plan to use a ball valve on the return line to control the flow a bit. So I'll be drilling 3 holes into the back of the tank. First two are for the overflow box. One hole will be for the main drain, the other an emergency backup. PVC elbows off the back should fit the bulk heads and drain down to the sump. The last hole will be for the return line. I'll use the flexible tubing to go from the return pump in the sump up to the PVC elbow into the bulkhead which will connect to the loc line. I also ordered a Y for the loc line so I can direct flow in a few different directions.

The sump will be simple for now. Just three chambers. Filter sock, skimmer/heater, and return pump. Nothing fancy. The skimmer I have pictured above is rated for 75-90 gallons so I don't think I'll need to go crazy with refugium setups or turf scrubbers or other nutrient export methods. For now at least.

Last thing that is weighing on my mind is the light. Just not quite sure how to feel about it yet. It's just so cheap. Could it be that good of a deal? I guess we'll see. Almost everything will be here by Wednesday.

I plan to do some wood putty tonight (it's not quite as pretty as the picture above would have you believe) and then paint maybe tomorrow? I'll work on the doors later, but I don't want that to hold things up at this point.

Stay tuned.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 3 months 1 week ago #71649

• buehler
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
Rush! Glad to see you are getting back into the game. I just dropped by to see how the forum was doing, and saw your thread.

That equipment list sounds pretty solid. The cheap light would freak me out, but you may luck out and get a really solid unit.

Any ideas for livestock yet?

Cheers,
B
10 gallon IM Fusion
still cycling...

phryno.wordpress.com

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 3 months 6 days ago #71664

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 60
looking forward to the final outcome :)
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 yellow top finned Lawanda
2 male cobues, 1 cobue fry
6 female cobue peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis
1 electric yellow

5.5 Gallon
red finned, blue and white marbled Delta tail betta

30 gallon
3 males, 4 females

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ~rush~

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 3 months 6 days ago #71667

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
buehler wrote:
Rush! Glad to see you are getting back into the game. I just dropped by to see how the forum was doing, and saw your thread.

That equipment list sounds pretty solid. The cheap light would freak me out, but you may luck out and get a really solid unit.

Any ideas for livestock yet?

Cheers,
B

B - what's good man? Long time no read. Glad you are here. I'm happy to have someone in the forum to bounce ideas off of.

Livestock list so far is a pair of Ocellaris clowns, banggai cardinals, and some type of goby or blenny. Maybe a 2-3 damsels as well. I really miss my old clown pair. So that's the only thing on the list that is a must have. I definitely want it to be an active tank, but it also must be coral friendly. Gotta have my LPS. :)

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 3 months 5 days ago #71669

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
So yesterday I received the light, the Quiet one 3000 return pump, heater, and Koralia 850.

Lets start with the light. This is the Viparspectra 165w timer model. Just initial thoughts after unpacking are impressed. It's heavy, seems to be built solid. I half expected the thing to be constructed of tin after paying such a low price on it, but it doesn't seem that way. Display is digital, two internal fans, hanging kit comes with it. Two channels with white and blue lights. I would say just at first glance that this will be plenty of light for what I want to do, and the color that it puts off is pleasing to the eye. Plenty of blue, but you can dim it down if you prefer more of the pinkish tones as well. It comes with a remote as well that allows you to save color schemes much like the highly toted Current Satellite+ freshwater LED. I have a lot more confidence in this thing now that I've held it in my hands. Lets just hope it lasts more than a few months.

Return pump. Quiet one 3000. Large pump, comes with two adapters to reduce the output hose down to what looks like 1/2inch if you want to go that small. Lists head loss on the package. With my stand and setup, after head loss, this pump should be putting out around 520 gph... which is still a bit high. Even when you consider I'll be splitting the outflow with a locline Y. I still need to purchase a ball valve so I can control that output and valve it down if need be. That in addition to the Koralia I got should be plenty of flow in the tank.

I'll slap some pics of the light a bit later.

Still waiting on the overflow kit to arrive. I thought I'd have it this week, but it's not expected to arrive now until Tuesday the 20th... :/ Guess I'll have time to get my ducks in a row before we do the drilling.

Things I still need to do-
1: Cut doors for the stand. Still not 100% sure how I want to do this. I have 1x6's and I could probably just cut and glue some side by side and then put some trim on or router the edges for a finished look. That's kind of what I'm leaning towards at the moment.
2: Still need to paint the stand. Once I choose a paint, this won't take long though.
3: Change out membranes on the old RODI. I really should just run it as is and test the water, but I do have the new membranes just sitting around too... I'll probably just swap them out.
4: Empty sump. Still have some straggler freshwater fish in my future sump. I'll just plop them into the 125g and clean everything out.
5: Cut baffles for the sump. I placed the skimmer next to the 20g the other night and I dunno... might not be enough room for a 3 baffle sump... may just have to go with a filter sock/skimmer section and then the return section... Once I get the 20 cleaned out I'll have a better idea of what I want to do there.
6: Buy sand, salt, and test kit.

....dang, still a lot to get done...

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 3 months 5 days ago #71671

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 438
Good to see you back in buisens and can't wait for some Updates.
Also some critic, why a dinosaur pump like a Quiet one 3000? Why not a modern DC Pump that can be adjusted on the Impeller by reducing the power input as for creating bottle necks?
Even the Aqua medic eco runnner 3500 has like 100+ G more flow and that on less wattage and that on an identical price.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 3 months 5 days ago #71673

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
To be quite honest that's just me refusing to get outside the box. I know the quiet one models last, and perform well. Kmuda ran one for years and swears by them and I used a quiet one on my last sump. I've heard good things about the dc pumps though. Perhaps for my next setup.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 3 months 5 days ago #71674

• buehler
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
Love me some Banggai cardinals!

Glad to hear the light seems to have a solid build. How loud are the fans on it?

Are you going to removable doors for easier access in the sump?
10 gallon IM Fusion
still cycling...

phryno.wordpress.com

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 3 months 5 days ago #71677

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Fans are not loud at all. A very light hum. That's about it.

Doors will open to the front, and the sides will be doors as well. Shouldn't need more access than that. Back is completely open as well. Only thing I could have done is make the stand a bit taller for room under the display. Hoping it's not too much of an issue.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds