Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Thinking about a Nano Reef!

Thinking about a Nano Reef! 3 years 7 months ago #51822

• Astronotus6
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 25
So, i've been going back and forward with myself about setting up a nano reef. I've been intrigued with them for many years and now I feel that I have the "courage" to do so (like it's some kind of mysterious thing or something) lol.

It will be a really small reef set up in the 8-10 gallon range.

Livestock:1 fish (A. ocellaris), live rock, shrimp, a few snails, small anemone.

I'll get some pics up once everything is setup!
---- (60 gallon tall) ----
Astronotus ocellatus

"In the hobby of fish keeping, looks can be very deceiving & often times, deadly" - spjr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thinking about a Nano Reef! 3 years 7 months ago #51826

• dlll
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
"Reef Tank" translates to "Money Drain" remember that :roflmao:

So no coral??

I personally love my reef tank but gosh is it a lot of work :scared9: I took the slow rout and finally am starting to fill with coral, after a large phosphate problem.

Nano reefs can be tricky because heat swings are common, so make sure to keep and eye on the temp and always have an extra heater on hand. Also Anemones need very stable water and light that usually takes at least a year to achieve. Also I would pick out a reliable RO because in the long run it will save you a ton of money instead of buying water by the gallon.

Im, sure you have done your research but have fun and remember nothing comes fast in the saltwater world :greet: :)

Thinking about a Nano Reef! 3 years 7 months ago #51827

• Astronotus6
  • Symphysodon discus
No, I'm not going to go with any coral at this time. Maybe I'll add a little later.

There's a local reef tank store in my area that has RO water on deck! lol. So I will be ok in that area!

Also, do you recommend me getting a 10-20 gallon tank with powerhead and heater with pre mixed salt water on hand for "water change day" or just use a clean bucket and mix a day before "water change day"?
Astronotus ocellatus

"In the hobby of fish keeping, looks can be very deceiving & often times, deadly" - spjr

Thinking about a Nano Reef! 3 years 7 months ago #51829

• dlll
  • Platinum Boarder
Both ways work, I personally mix mine in a 5g bucket two days before I do a WC. But having a pre-mixed tank is much better, if you got the room. This allows you to do a WC anytime you need, unlike having to wait 24 hours for the salt to dissolve. You never know when you might need to do a WC right away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Astronotus6

Thinking about a Nano Reef! 3 years 7 months ago #51873

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 495
I personally would start out with a larger tank if possible. An 8-10 gallon tank is small, leaving little room for error. A nem is also not a great beginner invert. They can be very sensitive to water quality, and they are also very high bioload IME. Of course it depends on what type of nem you go with, but not many will fit in a 10g for long, if at all.

I would look at something more in the 40g breeder range. You could easily do a Bubble tip and a clown in that size tank. There would be plenty of water volume for both, and water quality would be less of an issue. 40 breeders are nice and shallow too making lighting a bit easier on the wallet.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Thinking about a Nano Reef! 3 years 7 months ago #51893

• bassetmancichlids
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 395
My daughter wants me to get some clowns....I am immune to her manipulations so she has to wait a couple weeks.

Thinking about a Nano Reef! 3 years 7 months ago #51897

• dlll
  • Platinum Boarder
bassetmancichlids wrote:
My daughter wants me to get some clowns....I am immune to her manipulations so she has to wait a couple weeks.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

20g with a pair of clowns and a watchmen goby, perfect. :thumbs:

Thinking about a Nano Reef! 3 years 7 months ago #51938

• Astronotus6
  • Symphysodon discus
bassetmancichlids wrote:

haha! i was thinking.. i think i'm going to go with the FLUVAL SEA 14 Gallon. I'm going to wait a little bit now b/c I'm thinking about moving & definitely do not want the added headache of moving 2 aquariums!
Astronotus ocellatus

Thinking about a Nano Reef! 3 years 7 months ago #51989

• dlll
  • Platinum Boarder
Definitely, moving a reef is 10x harder then moving a freshwater :S
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds