Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 1 month ago #39896

• lilly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 119
~rush~ wrote:
Holy shrooms! Looking great in there. :) Keep ca and mg levels up and the acans will really take off. If I miss anything about my old reef, it's the acans... Sigh. :/

So whats your excuse? Small can be done very nicely as MM shows us ;)

VERY nice MM :)
210g,1-lutino tiger O, 1- red long fin lutino O, 1 red O,7 SD
120g,3 Discus various dither fish
60g reef,1 sand sifting gobie,1black&white wrasse, various cleanup crew and lots of corals:)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 1 month ago #39897

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 495
lilly wrote:
~rush~ wrote:
Holy shrooms! Looking great in there. :) Keep ca and mg levels up and the acans will really take off. If I miss anything about my old reef, it's the acans... Sigh. :/

So whats your excuse? Small can be done very nicely as MM shows us ;)

VERY nice MM :)

I'm pretty wrapped up in my planted tank at the moment. I know that I wouldn't be able to put in the time required to properly care for both of them. Some day I'll jump back into the reef, but now is not the time.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 1 month ago #39922

• MikeB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 52
Wow! Awsome pics ! Beautiful, wish I had the $ for something like that .

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 1 month ago #39923

• Captain
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Mbuna and oscars all over my home
  • Thank you received: 4
Looks great in there, just keep in mind that dead zone you probably have in the corner under the powerhead, most of your detritus will accumulate there and might get some cyano growth, keep phosphates in check and use magnesium and you will have a mighty nano reef in no time. When or what is your stock choices if you are adding fish?
29 gallon reef

60 gallon Malawi Mbuna, Peacock and Victorian rift tank

80 gallon CA/SA/Oscar tank

1 Calico, 1 Japanese Bobtail, 1 Olde English Bulldogge

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 1 month ago #39926

• monarchzman
  • Apistogramma agassizii
I probably won't add a fish if I'm able to keep this a mantis tank, but if I can't get a mantis again (assuming this one died), I have been looking at the prawn gobies. If I can find a reasonably priced Flaming Prawn Goby or White Cap Prawn Goby, I might opt for one of them, otherwise, I might just go with a Yasha Goby.

If the mantis doesn't work out, I'll probably go with a goby, and then lots of inverts like a few more Sexy Shrimp, a Pom Pom crab, and perhaps some other neat shrimp species.

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 1 month ago #39964

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 495
+1 vote for the symbiotic relationship of goby/shrimp.

Yellow watchman goby and tiger shrimp is on my list of must haves.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 3 weeks ago #40878

• monarchzman
  • Apistogramma agassizii
So short update. I've been impatient, and haven't found the mantis for sale again. As a result, I'm switching over to primarily a community invert tank. I'll get a mantis tank at some point in the future, but right now, I'm really liking all of the stuff crawling around. I ordered a pom pom crab, candy cane pistol shrimp, periclemenes shrimp (glass anemone shrimp), an emerald crab, and a few hermit crabs which should come tomorrow. I have a friend who works at a wholesaler who will let me know when they get flaming prawn gobies. When they do, I will jump on that. I added a few more corals yesterday (neon green rhodactis mushrooms, red blasto, and blue clove polyps). And holy cow, the blue clove polyps are tiny. Like 1/16" diameter would be generous.

I am kinda toying with the idea of putting a maxi-mini anemone in the tank for the shrimp to host, but that may be a little large (I've read they get about 6" in diameter). I've got a spot where it could go, but I just worry it might overwhelm the tank a bit. I guess the shrimp will host mushrooms if they don't have an anemone.

I'd still like to add a few more zoanthids, and possibly blue (and red) actinodiscus, and maybe a rainbow acan or two (my adviser just got a bunch of those, and they look pretty sweet). Otherwise, it's looking pretty good. Everyone still seems happy. The clam looks great, so I'm hoping at this point, he's going to continue looking great! And the sexy shrimp are great. I definitely want a couple more of those guys.

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 3 weeks ago #40879

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
pics!!!! :happy:
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 3 years 10 months ago #47383

• monarchzman
  • Apistogramma agassizii
I've been waiting until I have something actually good to report, and I think I'm good now.

So starting with the bad. I had a fantastic Christmas gift when I came back. Leaving this in my office, some one in my office turned on the heat because the office can get pretty cold. Well, they forgot to turn the heat off, and when dealing with a 1960s building, that means there's not reliable control. Long story short, I came back to the tank being at 90 degrees. This killed most everything. I had to do 50% daily water changes for about a week in order to get it not smelling like dead stuff. When I started getting it smelling normally again, someone forgot to turn off the heat again, and I came in the following day to a 95 degree tank. At that point, I decided that was the last straw, and the tank was to come home where I had complete control over ambient temperature and I could hook the tank up to my Apex, which allows for more stable temperatures.

Essentially, I was left with my zoanthids (for the most part, my Emerald Cities died), and a single green Rhodactis mushroom. After getting it back to my house (and building a custom stand for it), I kept on hearing snaps, which I had assumed was the pistol shrimp. Turned out that they're pretty hardy, and it was the only animal (other than the zoas and shroom) to survive.

I made a big order a couple weeks ago and got a few more zoanthid pieces and more mushrooms. I also got another peppermint shrimp, 4 sexy shrimp, an emerald crab, some hermits, some snails, and a yellow watchman goby. A few days ago, the goby and pistol shrimp suddenly realized they were besties, and ever since, the shrimp has made a much larger tunnel to accommodate for the goby.

Then today, my LFS finally got my Flaming Prawn Goby in. These typically go for $150, but somehow, my LFS was able to offer them for $35, so I jumped on that. The goby is TINY. Like, could fit on a quarter with lots of room. I worry a bit about the size difference between the watchman and the flaming prawn goby (watchman is 2-3"), but thus far I don't think they realize there is another fish in the tank, and the watchman seems pretty docile. And it looks like the FPG is making its own little burrow. Assuming everything is okay between them, I'll try to get photos of the fish when they're a little more bold. But thus far, it's a super cool little fish.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds