Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 2 months ago #37942

• lilly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 119
Great to read that the tank is on the way to being a reality for you :excited:

The aiptasia is tough for sure to deal with :evil: :evil: ....I would stick to Joe's Juice only ... until you eradicate it I wouldn't add a thing to the tank.

The rock formation setup is awesome....keep us posted ;)
210g,1-lutino tiger O, 1- red long fin lutino O, 1 red O,7 SD
120g,3 Discus various dither fish
60g reef,1 sand sifting gobie,1black&white wrasse, various cleanup crew and lots of corals:)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 2 months ago #38109

• monarchzman
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 4
I put in a couple of Peppermint shrimp today and they seem to be doing well. Time will tell if they go after the aiptasia. I also got a plug of zoanthids to see how they'd react to the tank. They opened up immediately, so things are looking good.

I also got an alert today that G. smithii was available from Blue Zoo Aquatics, so I put in an order. I'll have it delivered on the 21st. That should give the tank enough time to work through the cycle and be ready for it's inhabitant. Very psyched about it!

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 1 month ago #38825

• monarchzman
  • Apistogramma agassizii
I put in an order yesterday for some corals, which should come tomorrow. Right now, the tank is mostly going to be zoanthids and mushrooms, but I did order a few acans as well. The zoanthids that I bought last week are doing well, so I think the parameters are good. I've been doing a quart water change daily (which is about 1/16 change), so that should help keep the nutrients under control. I am having some hair algae pop up and am going to put in a couple snails to help control that. I'm hoping that and the frequent water changes will keep it in check. And I'm hoping the mantis will leave the snails alone...

My labmate also complained about the glare caused by the lights, so I've been working on a hood the last couple days. It's all painted, but I'm going to wait until next week to put it on (just want to make sure the paint is thoroughly dry).

I'll post photos once I get the corals in and where I want them.

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 1 month ago #38932

• monarchzman
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Got 3 acans, a candy cane (I think), Tonga mushrooms, and five zoanthids (Silver Eyed Monster, Emerald City, Blue Hornet, Saturn's Eye, and Gorilla Nipples).

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 1 month ago #38933

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
i was fine tell I saw "Gorilla Nipples" :roflmao: now i keep looking for them, great looking !!
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 1 month ago #38934

• monarchzman
  • Apistogramma agassizii
I partially got them because of that reaction. I didn't name them. Someone else did, but they are a rather pretty zoanthid. No idea what gave them the idea of naming them Gorilla Nipples.

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 1 month ago #38963

• lilly
  • Platinum Boarder
popss wrote:
i was fine tell I saw "Gorilla Nipples" :roflmao: now i keep looking for them, great looking !!

Amazing the things that you can have when you go salt :laughcry:

MM,

Tank is looking really good...I see you are using the filter that Toom recommends...how do you like it?
60g reef,1 sand sifting gobie,1black&white wrasse, various cleanup crew and lots of corals:)

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 1 month ago #38964

• monarchzman
  • Apistogramma agassizii
What filter is that? I'm not running anything other than a small carbon bag on the tank for lack of space. Since I'm not running a filter, I'm doing a quart water change every day during the week. This would translate to about a 25% change a week. If I keep that up, I think I should keep things in check.

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 1 month ago #38965

• lilly
  • Platinum Boarder
It is the 5g you planned on from Fluval right? Doesn't the left side of your tank have a space for sponge and media? Also had a cover in the pics I saw...

Nano Tank for a Mantis Shrimp 4 years 1 month ago #38970

• monarchzman
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Correct. I had to take out the sponge out to fit the heater and ATO. So I just have the carbon bag in the bottom of the overflow. It should have enough water flow there because the return pump is pulling a lot of water past it.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds