Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Thinking of Taking the Plunge

Thinking of Taking the Plunge 5 years 9 months ago #83

• monarchzman
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 4
I guess since the old topics aren't going to be moved over, I'll just continue the discussion here. Here is the last post I made about my tank:

Short update. I got Kent Tech M Magnesium to battle bryopsis since that seems to be the product that works best for it. I have been adding some the last few days and just got a Salifert Magnesium Test Kit (I know, probably not cool to elevate magnesium before having the test kit, but I was being conservative about how much I increased it). My magnesium levels are at 1680ppm right now, and I think I'll up them to 1900 or so. That seems to be the sweet zone for killing off bryopsis. I'll update how it goes. I really hope it works because this algae is really out of hand (I have been removing probably about a handful daily and have not made a dent).

In an unrelated note (I think?), my clown has decided to host the BTA which I'm stoked about. I read that captive clowns are not as likely to host anemones, so I wasn't expecting it, but am happy she's doing it. It's pretty humorous, though, because she now has lots of love spots where the BTA has stung her. :lol:

Kmuda Note; This thread is a continuation of a thread in the forum archive. For history, please reference the following link: www.oscarfish.com/oscar-forum/viewtopic.php/f,3/t,85391/
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thinking of Taking the Plunge 5 years 9 months ago #138

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 495
Still with you JP.

Why don't you remind us of what your setup is so onlookers don't have to go back and find the stats/specs of your tank.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Thinking of Taking the Plunge 5 years 9 months ago #139

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 911
FYI... I've included a final post in the original phpBB thread to link anyone discovering that thread over to this one.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Thinking of Taking the Plunge 5 years 9 months ago #194

• monarchzman
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Thanks for that, K.

I got the magnesium up to 1800ppm now, and I'm going to leave it there for a few days to see how the bryopsis reacts. Maybe it's my wanting it to work, but I seem to think that the bryopsis isn't looking as happy. There is still a lot of it, but I specifically haven't been pulling out any for the last couple days just to see how it reacts. Some of the bryopsis seems to look like it is discoloring. If it doesn't look like it's dying back in the next couple days, I'll bump the magnesium a little bit more.

Thinking of Taking the Plunge 5 years 9 months ago #250

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Hey JP, I'm getting a lot of feedback about the EVO 200 being too powerful for a 40g breeder. The 40g is only 16 inches deep so I can see where a powerful LED fixture might be too much especially for LPS.

You have the EVO 100 correct? Do you have yours turned up all the way? How are the corals doing with the light?

Thinking of Taking the Plunge 5 years 8 months ago #710

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Hit us up with an update JP. How are things going in the tank? Fish? Corals?

Thinking of Taking the Plunge 5 years 8 months ago #724

• monarchzman
  • Apistogramma agassizii
I missed the questions about the Evo 100. I do have it turned up all of the way and I don't think there are really any ill effects of the light. Two of my zoanthids appear to have been bleached, but I think that might have been a result of the accidental poisoning. They're still going strong, but have lost much of their color.

Other than that, things are going well. I have to check magnesium levels, but I've had them around 1900ppm to take care of the bryopsis. That has weakened it, but hasn't killed it off yet. I am going to wait another week or two to see what happens. The coralline algae seems to be picking up, and I'm starting to get some red bubble algae (but supposedly, emerald crabs will take care of that).

Thinking of Taking the Plunge 5 years 8 months ago #725

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
How about the hammer?

How are the fish doing?

Thinking of Taking the Plunge 5 years 8 months ago #728

• monarchzman
  • Apistogramma agassizii
The hammer is doing fine. It has a lot of what I can only guess are potential new polyps (little thin branches) around it, but it's had those for some time. No new polyps since I put it in.

The fish are also doing fine. The clown is happily hosting the anemone. The jawfish and hawkfish are still paranoid, and I think the hawkfish is finally back to normal. It was pretty reclusive after the poisoning, but now is acting pretty normally.

Unfortunately, my boxer shrimp didn't make the poisoning, so I'm thinking about getting another. I also have an explosion of what I think are amphipods, and I think to help control them, I may get a mandarin. If it doesn't go for that, I do have a good copepod population going now, so it'll be able to eat those as well.

Thinking of Taking the Plunge 5 years 8 months ago #737

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
monarchzman wrote:
The hammer is doing fine. It has a lot of what I can only guess are potential new polyps (little thin branches) around it, but it's had those for some time. No new polyps since I put it in.

Right on. I think know what you are talking about with the hammer - the small daughter colony? Not sure what to call it. On my old hammer it looked like a miniature of the mother colony. Is it growing right out of the base stalk? My hammer grew from one head to 16+ over the year span when it was in it's prime but that daughter colony never grew. Just stayed the same size the whole time for whatever reason. Mine was never able to get light because of where it was. Maybe that had something to do with it.
MonarchzMan wrote:
The fish are also doing fine. The clown is happily hosting the anemone. The jawfish and hawkfish are still paranoid, and I think the hawkfish is finally back to normal. It was pretty reclusive after the poisoning, but now is acting pretty normally.

Clownfish hosting anemone?! Pictures!!!
MonarchzMan wrote:
Unfortunately, my boxer shrimp didn't make the poisoning, so I'm thinking about getting another. I also have an explosion of what I think are amphipods, and I think to help control them, I may get a mandarin. If it doesn't go for that, I do have a good copepod population going now, so it'll be able to eat those as well.

The amphipods aren't going to do any harm to anything so there really isn't a need to control them. Certainly is a good reason to try your hand at a mandarin though!
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds