Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: FX4 is Here!

FX4 is Here! 2 months 2 weeks ago #72271

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
Yesterday I stopped by and purchased an FX4 from my favorite pet store. I.chose the box with the best condition and saved $10 :happy:

Today I just finished checking all the parts. By doing so I've stumbled over a few problems.

After placing the aquastop valve I noticed a small gap and it seemed that it could go down further. It wont. And since it's new and feels almost greasy i don't know i it will make the desired click.

Also. It has 2 sections of ceramic rings. Should I replace one with bio balls?

Overall product seems great! Pics and installation should come Saturday when I have time :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FX4 is Here! 2 months 2 weeks ago #72272

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 217
There is no telltale click, at least I have never noticed one, indicating the valves are on tight. If you cant force them down anymore, thats where they go. I run all my FX's the same. I let the wrap around sponges handle mechanical, baskets are as full as possible with ceramics. Unless packaging has changed, they dont give you enough to fill both baskets. I dont use the extra pads. If you have room for more bio media, its basically your choice what to use. Any quality media is as good/ no better than the other. All my cans are full of Fluval Biomax and Seachem Matrix. Both quality, very durable. As long as you offer a porous surface area for bacteria to live and grow, there is really no bad choice. You like bio balls? By all means use some.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

FX4 is Here! 2 months 2 weeks ago #72273

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Thanks.

I noticed the product comes with two empty 100ml bags. Do you think they can hold something small as Purigen?

FX4 is Here! 2 months 2 weeks ago #72274

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
I couldnt advise on Purigen. I know what it is, I know what its SUPPOSED to do, but have never used it. Whats your take on it? Why you think you need it?
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

FX4 is Here! 2 months 1 week ago #72277

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
To me, Purigen is the best replacement for carbon. I'm hopefully going to begin using this when I install the filter itself.

So no, I've never used it. But It's supposedly 5x better than carbon and doesn't have the risk of HITH. It's also "rechargeable".
This means every time the media becomes exhausted, you use some household stuff (vinegar I think) to clean it out. Then it's ready to be reused.

Therefore Purigen is supposedly cheaper, more effective, and less of risk than carbon.

Link to what it is and does. www.seachem.com/purigen.php

FX4 is Here! 2 months 1 week ago #72278

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
I'll take another view point. In a properly stocked, properly filtered tank with good quality source water, all you need is a strong, viable bacteria colony to process ammonia. Some mechanical capabilities in the filtration system to capture solids, and you are good for life. I believe the recharge process for Purigen involves a bleach rinse, huge red flag to me. I believe that carbon has no use in the aquaruim, so 5x better than nothing is still nothing. I wont be so bold as to state Purigen is worthless, I have never used it. I am confident in stating you most likely dont need it.

FX4 is Here! 2 months 1 week ago #72279

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
You're quite correct!

It really depends on the opinion and situation of a certain person.

In my case, the tank is overstocked and the nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are all hard to keep down. Carbon helps a bit with this but has the risk.

To me, switching to purigen Should be beneficial in a way.

Do you just run FX5's and 6's?

FX4 is Here! 2 months 1 week ago #72282

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
I have an FX4 along with my 5's and 6's. Got it shortly after they came out.I like the easier cleaning of it. Much lighter than the big ones It runs on my 220 Oscar tank. Also have on the tank a pair of Filstar XP4's and 3 AC 110 hobs. Yeah, 6 filters, thats what I have on hand I run them all. I sold a couple of 120g recently, but kept all filtration. Just added everything to existing tanks. Your new filter should help with toxin levels

FX4 is Here! 2 months 1 week ago #72287

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
So would it be safe to run it without any media whatsoever? I wanted to test it so I had an idea on how strong the current would be. This would hopefully help with less stress when installing it.

FX4 is Here! 2 months 1 week ago #72288

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
Oscarmon wrote:
So would it be safe to run it without any media whatsoever? I wanted to test it so I had an idea on how strong the current would be. This would hopefully help with less stress when installing it.

The actuall flow of an canister is different with or without media. It also gets less and less depending on the level of clogging.
So you will have like 25 to 35% more flow without media as with fresh media and like 25 to like 50% less than with fresh media after the filter gets mostly mechanical clogged by gunk.

Also I have the FX6 and while it's ab great filter after all it's a pain in the ass to clean the 6 mech sponges.

I cutted myself some of 20 ppi filter sponge of 1.5 " thickness.
Now i switch them and drop them in the washing mashine on cold water without soap and let them Spin on 1200 rpm in fast Mode.
Of course this kills the biology on them but I am lazy and the area of that sponges that are in my case heavy gunked because I got like 100 pounds of driftwood innthis tank is anways not that great.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds