Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Moving Beds, K12?

Moving Beds, K12? 4 months 3 weeks ago #72154

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
Are moving beds important and/or substantial to a freshwater aquarium? I've been designing a sump and don't know if I should add one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Moving Beds, K12? 4 months 2 weeks ago #72163

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm assuming you mean k1 kaldnes fluidized media. IME you should only use k1 on either massive aquariums or if your filtering a bunch of aquariums. You have to purchase a large amount to filter an aquarium as the media itself has a very small surface area. The only reason it is popular is because it is self cleaning and essentially maintenance free. Unless you can buy it for a VERY cheap price I would advise against it and like I said the sump would have to be massive in order to filter a tank. I would stick to a wet dry sump, and if you want I can show you some nice articles I have been reading to make my sump.

- Aquamoo

Moving Beds, K12? 4 months 2 weeks ago #72165

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Yeah I meant K1 and accidentally hit the 2.

Would it be worth the price on a 308 gallon with 160 gallon sump?

Would love the articles

Moving Beds, K12? 4 months 2 weeks ago #72168

• Aquamoo
First thing is that this all depends on the stocking level of the aquarium and the design of the sump, a very large portion of the sump must be filled with media in order for it to be effective. Pictures of the tank and sump would be very helpful for better advice.

Here is a good post about using k1: www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/thread...ldness.650995/page-1

If you really wanted to go the k1 route I would get the k3 instead as it is much larger here is a link to it: www.amazon.com/Aquaponics-Aquaculture-Hy...y/dp/B01M72T49V?th=1
In your 160 gallon sump I would put no more than 200 liters with 100 liters being more realistic. The 1 liter/ minute per liter of media seems to be hit and miss. Some people swear that it works even with large amounts of media, others have needed a much larger ratio. From what I have learned, the rule works BUT the pump has to actually be as powerful as it says it is. However I must say that imo a wet dry filter is a far superior filter than a fluidized media filter. Here are some more articles relating to the building of a wet dry filter:

www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/thread...wet-dry-sump.144850/
www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threa...raded-2-6-13.137148/

Here you can get bio balls for cheap: www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14727
If you haven't bought a pump yet make sure you go by a 5-6 times turnover rate (helps account for head loss) so a 308 gallon aquarium + 160 gallon sump = 468 gallons * 6 = 2808 and round up to 3000, you will need a 3000 gph pump something like this might work: www.amazon.com/Danner-02660-3000GPH-Magn...=mag-drive+pump+3000

If you do decide to use the wet dry (also called the trickle tower or emerged sump) you can get it set up for much cheaper that in you used a fluidized setup. Remember that you can still fill the submerged part with other types of media like ceramic media and sponges.

- Aquamoo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscarmon

Moving Beds, K12? 4 months 1 week ago #72183

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
I really appreciate all of this information :cheer:

Thanks again.

FYI: My sump design has a 5 stage trickle filter which leads into the moving bed/s.

Moving Beds, K12? 4 months 1 week ago #72185

• Aquamoo
Another thing to keep in mind is that your overflow(s) need to be able to handle whatever pump you get. Although you will lose a significant amount if flow due to head loss, you should still get an overflow matched to whatever your pumps flow is and a safety margin of 25% would be even better. Since you seem set on using the moving bed you should keep in mind that the air pump is likely going to be pretty loud. Personally, I would have the air pump in another room or a closet to get rid of the noise. This is especially true if you have your aquarium in your bedroom or living room.

Another thing that you should implement in your tank is a drain plumbed into your tank that leads outside, this can save you a TON of time when doing water changes. Obviously the drain shouldn't be at the bottom but if you had it at the 20% level in the tank you could quickly drain water. If you have a garden outside you can use this to water your plants and the nutrients from the fish waste will help them grow faster. Good luck in getting your tank set up!

What will you be stocking it with?

- Aquamoo

Moving Beds, K12? 4 months 1 week ago #72186

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
I had plans for aquaponics. There would be two, 3in overflow pipes in each overflow box (there are two). One pipe from each box would lead down into the 'small' aquaponics tank. After the water fills up in the aquaponics tank, it would lead straight to the sump for cleaning.

I was planning on a couple of oscars since I have more knowledge on the cichlid species when compared to the others.

I will post the project when I'm ready. These are just the plans and questions I'm asking about it so I'll be prepared.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds