Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lost an Aqueon Pro heater.

Lost an Aqueon Pro heater. 1 year 7 months ago #61195

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 178
Define leaving heater on during water changes?

If people are not using a UPC back up, that's dangerous enough with all the variables plugged in.So much easier with one button/ power
180 oscar/JD/pleco
75 peacock and eB
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)- RIP 6/11/17
2 english bulldogs
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores-
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lost an Aqueon Pro heater. 1 year 7 months ago #61198

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 229
On my tanks, the filters, heaters and air pumps are all plugged into a power strip that gets powered down or simply unplugged during WCs. The only items plugged into outlets by themselves are my lights, because they are on lamp timers.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

Lost an Aqueon Pro heater. 1 year 7 months ago #61205

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 901
Wow... I could not imagine my Oscar tank at 75. :think:

The only tank I keep that low is the Tiger Barb tank and every time I reach into that tank I think it is freezing. Everything else I keep at 80-82, which is where I would recommend Oscar's be kept..... in the 79 to 82 range. I would consider 75 a bit low. How's his (her) appetite at 75?

As for absolute low end an Oscar can live at, I would say 72 would be pushing it. They can likely survive short term drops down into the mid 60's but will not survive at those temps for extended periods of time.
Rob167 wrote:
Define leaving heater on during water changes?

Draining a tank, leaving part or all of the heater exposed to atmosphere, while running. There is a "minimum water line" for every heater.... for a reason.

And the first person that tells me this is not a problem if you place your heater horizontal at the bottom of the tank is going to get. :bitchslap:

:laughcry:
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Lost an Aqueon Pro heater. 1 year 7 months ago #61216

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
leaving a heater on at water change just a bad ideal, cracked glass and shocked at the worse, dead heater at the least, and yes Kmuda, submerged and at an angle. give me your best shot. :evil3:
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

Lost an Aqueon Pro heater. 1 year 7 months ago #61224

• kmuda
  • Admin
:tounge:

Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned Vertical and aligned

:tounge:

Lost an Aqueon Pro heater. 1 year 7 months ago #61229

• popss
  • Advice Team
:roflmao:
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

Lost an Aqueon Pro heater. 1 year 7 months ago #61230

• popss
  • Advice Team
I am thinking that hurt you allot more than it hurt me. :box:

Lost an Aqueon Pro heater. 1 year 7 months ago #61233

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 229
kmuda wrote:
Wow... I could not imagine my Oscar tank at 75. :think:

The only tank I keep that low is the Tiger Barb tank and every time I reach into that tank I think it is freezing. Everything else I keep at 80-82, which is where I would recommend Oscar's be kept..... in the 79 to 82 range. I would consider 75 a bit low. How's his (her) appetite at 75?

As for absolute low end an Oscar can live at, I would say 72 would be pushing it. They can likely survive short term drops down into the mid 60's but will not survive at those temps for extended periods of time.

K, I have no issue bringing the temp up. I just based my 75 off the recommendations I've read over the years that fell in the 72-80 range. In the summer months, this tank can run ~80F. I've also tried to keep it at the lower end given the bio load on this tank. I feed lightly and are able to maintain no more than a 20ppm nitrate creep.

Appetite is always banging the glass lids good, but the O and sev in the tank do get a little competitive at eating time.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

Lost an Aqueon Pro heater. 1 year 7 months ago #61234

• popss
  • Advice Team
as an FYI all my tanks run in the 75 range, jags, and oscars, use to run the jags a little higher but not any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FreshyFesh

Lost an Aqueon Pro heater. 1 year 7 months ago #61252

• kmuda
  • Admin
Freshy, if it's working for you, stay with it. One thing is certain, with increased temp comes increased metabolism which brings increased appetite and potentially aggression.

I base my temps upon the fact that the average daytime temperature of the Amazon Rain forests runs between 80 and 90 degrees and as a result of solar heating, water temps tend to be higher than air temps. The one study I've found over an 8 month period identified temps along the river from 82 to 88 degrees (surface to a depth of 50 feet).

So I think our Oscars are more suited to temps from 80-85 than they are temps from 70 to 75. While our tank raised fish may be better suited to handle the lower temps I would recommend keeping wild caught and their immediate offspring in the 80-85 range... and evolutionary design of even the tank raised fish would suggest keeping them in the upper ranges.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FreshyFesh
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds