Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fish Food Ingredients Analysis

Fish Food Ingredients Analysis 1 year 4 months ago #63347

• Erik1974
  • Poecilia reticulata
I just checked amazon.de, delivery time is a bit vague as it still comes from a shop in the US, shipping wasn't clear to me without creating an account. But certainly interesting to look in to, thx. I was wondering what foods you would like to try that we can buy here. I also saw repashy superfood, you need to mix the powder to create a gell and feed the gell to the fish. The ingredients looked promising. Maybe i will get it when the dennerle is finished to try it out.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fish Food Ingredients Analysis 1 year 4 months ago #63348

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 192
Kmuda - Based on what you know about Paradigm 'Carnivore' fish food, how would you rate it?

paradigmfishfood.com/p/unique-qualities
paradigmfishfood.com/products/paradigm-carnivore

I only ask about Paradigm 'Carnivore' because of the high amount of green pea powder used in the 'Omnivore' and 'Herbivore' formulas. A few months ago, you provided me with some great information regarding the use of green pea powder in fish food showing that anything under 20% is acceptable and preferable to other fillers like wheat. 'Omnivore' is probably over that number and I wouldn't be surprised if the 'Herbivore' formula was half green pea powder, considering it's the primary ingredient and judging by the color of the 'crumble'.

Paradigm Carnivore's main positive as far as I'm concerned is it's high digestibility. It has none of the usual fillers like wheat flour, corn, gluten, etc., so my fish produce less waste when fed Paradigm compared to other foods.

I also like that Paradigm uses a relatively large amount of astaxanthin (1% not including what's in the Shimp Meal) which has many benefits as you've outlined, and with spirulina, paprika, and cayenne pepper, it's also a strong color-enhancing food.

Here's the short list of ingredients for the Carnivore:

Ingredients: Whole Menhaden Fish Meal, Shrimp Meal, Green Pea Powder, Dried Chicken Egg Whites, Crude Menhaen Fish Oil, Human Grade Spirulina Powder, Astaxanthin, Paprika, and Cayenne Pepper.

Protein: 50%
Fat: 7%
Minerals/Ash% 15%

Some of the less than desirables: the ash content is up there (although I've seen lower numbers on the website), the first two ingredients are 'meals', the chicken egg whites are a question mark (although Paradigm claims they are a perfect binder/protein source), and the short list of ingredients is missing a few ingredients I'd like to see like chlorella and garlic.

I feed Paradigm, Northfin and NLS to my fish and I've considered Paradigm more or less on a par with them. Both Northfin and NLS have preferred primary ingredients to Paradigm 'Carnivore'. Northfin has 'Whole' Antarctic Krill 'Meal', 'Herring Meal' and 'Whole' Sardine 'Meal' and NLS has 'Whole Antarctic Krill' and 'Whole Fish' while Paradigm has 'Whole' Menhaden Fish 'Meal' and Shrimp 'Meal'. None have ethoxyquin (on the label at least, but Paradigm and Northfin claim their food is100% ethoxyquin free), BHT, coloring agents (dyes), or synthetic vitamin K/K3.

I think my oscar fell in love with Northfin as soon as he saw the bag. :roflmao:

Fish Food Ingredients Analysis 1 year 4 months ago #63366

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 901
Tarheel, Paradigm is a difficult judgement on my part. I really need to better understand the digestibility of both the egg white and pea powder. Pea powder is a completely mixed bag all by itself, depending on how it's extracted. Which makes it very difficult to rate. You also have the foundational concept to consider of "we want to see aquatic proteins and starches, not terrestrial proteins and starches". Something Paradigm is clearly not in adherence with.

All of that said, you want to like what they are doing and you certainly want to support the small guy, but in order to provide a high rating you would have to dismiss several basic concepts. Which is the reason I have not provided them with a review to this point. The fiber content is just too high.

EDIT: Here is the concern
www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0377840107002337
The use of plant-derived materials such as legume seeds, different types of oilseed cake, leaf meals, leaf protein concentrates, and root tuber meals as fish feed ingredients is limited by the presence of a wide variety of antinutritional substances. Important among these are protease inhibitors, phytates, glucosinolates, saponins tannins, lectins, oligosaccharides and non-starch polysaccharides, phytoestrogens, alkaloids, antigenic compounds, gossypols, cyanogens, mimosine, cyclopropenoid fatty acids, canavanine, antivitamins, and phorbol esters.

www.fao.org/docrep/003/t0700e/T0700E06.htm

Or for more details.......

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...AqQEVGW-RwZi09WF7xYA

Edit...edit....

I guess this answers that question..,,.www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0044848610007477
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96

Fish Food Ingredients Analysis 1 year 4 months ago #63440

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 901
Why use Pea Flour instead of something like Kelp Meal?

Kelp Meal.... about $200 for 25lbs.
Pea Flour..... about $30 for 25lbs
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds