Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Marineland Multistage Canister Filters (C-Series)

Marineland Multistage Canister Filters (C-Series) 4 years 3 months ago #3831

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 903
The Marineland of today IS NOT the Marineland I grew up with. All of the talent that made Marineland what is WAS left after the United Pet Group/Tetra buyout, forming companies such as Dr. Tim's Aquatics and Cobalt. The Marineland of today is really little more than the North American arm of Tetra.

After about 5 years of really good use, my C-360 developed a renewed leak and was replaced with an Eheim 2217.

I love the concept of the C-360. A $150 filter with massive volume. Like most products designed and manufactured in China, it's just poorly executed.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Marineland Multistage Canister Filters (C-Series) 4 years 3 months ago #3837

Thanks for all the post! I was really wanting to fix my C-360 because of what I have invested in it. Guess I'll Ebay the new parts & filter media. Was thinking about a Rena XP3 found one for only $166 complete. People here seem to like the Eheim - so I'll check them out. I'm REALLY bummed about all the fish / animals I've lost from filter problems. How did you "upgrade to Eheim for $20"?

Marineland Multistage Canister Filters (C-Series) 4 years 3 months ago #3839

• tom
  • Thank you received: 232
My C-360 was pretty much brand new, less than 2 weeks running, so I took it back to where I bought it.
They offered to replace it, but I asked for an Eheim 2217 instead and paid the difference in price.
B)
6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Chocolate, Rotkeil Severum
10 Silver Dollars

Marineland Multistage Canister Filters (C-Series) 4 years 3 months ago #4282

• renegade87
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 7
Kmuda's original review of these canisters contributed to my decision to buy two of the C-530's. After one years use, I have not experienced any leaks or other problems using these filters. I have had minor "micro-bubble" issues at startup after maintenance. But that's easily resolved by powering down, and reseating the valve block.

Would I buy them again? I might reconsider and get the C-360's instead. Due to the gross operating weight of these beasts! These babies (C-530) are freakin heavy when full of water and media. Other than that, they work as advertised. Massive media capacity, minimal bypass, reasonable pricing & solid support.

If replacing the C-Series, would I consider another brand? I'd definitely consider Eheim if I could find a cost effective alternative with decent flow rates that wouldn't break my back every six to eight weeks when performing maintenance.

Fluval? Well, they just introduced the FX6. Let's see how that's received.

Others? Well Rena has a pretty good following, but I'd probably stick with what I know. I know what the ML canisters are all about. And Eheim has had their excellent reputation longer than some of the members of this forum have been alive! "Leave the dance with the girl that brought you".
"The world ends when you're dead. As long as your breathing you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man and give some back."

Marineland Multistage Canister Filters (C-Series) 4 years 3 months ago #4283

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
DO NOT GO FLUVAL!! I just got a brand new 405 damn thing leaks like a sive. its going back, I have a large Eheim nock off , 4 stage Jebao that is dead quite and has great flow for 69.00 and a Eheim Pro 2 that just keeps cruising along.
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

Marineland Multistage Canister Filters (C-Series) 4 years 3 months ago #4306

• bskelton0907
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 88
I have a c-220.filter is a very good filter.just took the carbon out and replaced it with that blue pad stuff.overall the filter does what it has to.solid design.tubes are nice and heavy duty.but it is a pain inthe ass to prime if air gets in the lines ;)
135 gallon(Albino Oscar,Firemouth, 5 Silver Dollars )

2 emporer 400's

Fx5

Eheim 2217

Marineland Multistage Canister Filters (C-Series) 4 years 3 months ago #4307

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
IMHO they are all pain to prime, if it has a ball valve shut off at the hoses you will never have to refill the lines again except for yearly cleaning, i fill the canister all the way to the top with tank water in the sink so it over flows when i put the power head back on. then break the prime pump loose before putting back in the stand. hook the hoses back up, open the ball valves and give it a few pumps, then fire it back up, then shake a bit to get all the air out of the canister.
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bskelton0907

Marineland Multistage Canister Filters (C-Series) 4 years 3 months ago #4308

• bskelton0907
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 88
Good tip.will take that into consideration.thanks pops
135 gallon(Albino Oscar,Firemouth, 5 Silver Dollars )

2 emporer 400's

Fx5

Eheim 2217

FIXED MY C-360 LEAK!!! 4 years 3 months ago #4422

FIXED MY C-360 LEAK!!!
Thanks for everyone’s help! I’ve been shopping for an Eheim & while a C-360 valve-head on backorder. Figured if it didn’t fix things – I’d eBay it…

This is what I did:
1) Replaced all O rings
2) Silicone-sealed the bottom of motor- head (along all the grooves)
3) Replaced the VALVE HEAD

NO LEAK!!!!

Note: The replacement VALVE HEAD is much better! The parts that fit down into the motor-head is longer and has 4 gaskets instead of only 2. (Marineland said my unit was made 7 years ago).

I’m a happy camper – think I’ll replace some fish!
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds