Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Got a betta pictures up

Got a betta pictures up 1 month 2 weeks ago #69253

• blackcougar
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 41
I rescued a betta from the fish store on Saturday, (I resisted the urge for four days but). I have him in a half gallon which is temporary. I'm in the process of collecting items to put him into a 5.5 gallon tank which I hope to have up and running by the weekend. (I have the tank but it still needs a heater, substrate, pay day on Thursday) Still needs to be cycled so I have the sponge filter cycling in my 65 gallon aquarium. I was thinking of a couple of snails and shrimp as tank mates, plants once the tank is fully up and running.

I was thinking of attempting sand for the first time with this setup as a dry run for later down the road.

I never saw such a beautiful specimen before. He's a deep teal blue, but it turns a dark royal blue in a different angle. His tail is a light peach color but shimmers a deeper color when the light hits his tail. He's a half moon. His tail is in need of repair because it's missing a huge chunk in the middle of that beautiful tail of his. Considering it's been like that for a week without getting worse, I'm guessing he got nipped or snagged on something. The girl at the pet store said it was from shipping and the tail should repair itself over time.

I've been dosing with small amounts of aquarium salt and changing out the water every couple of days and replacing with some water from the 65 gallon. He comes up to eat when I place pellets in there and gets excited when it's feeding time. He's starting to exhibit the behavior of associating me with food.

I'll get some pictures up when the 5 gallon is up and running.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Got a betta 1 month 2 weeks ago #69259

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 224
Sounds like a nice little project!

Bettas are fun. I kept a male betta in a planted 10g with a few bloodfin tetras. I know they've all got different personalities, but mine would pick at snails and would eat shrimp. Same with the sororities of female bettas I've kept in my community 55g.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackcougar

Got a betta 1 month 2 weeks ago #69260

• blackcougar
  • Symphysodon discus
There isn't much room past a betta in that tank.

If I give the shrimps hiding spots and they breed, it'll keep the betta happy
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

Got a betta 1 month 2 weeks ago #69264

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 472
I've never been able to keep bettas happy. I've kept them on several occasions in community type setups but they always faded after a year or two. I think making them the focus like the way you are setting up is the way to go with them.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Got a betta 1 month 2 weeks ago #69266

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
~rush~ wrote:
I've never been able to keep bettas happy. I've kept them on several occasions in community type setups but they always faded after a year or two. I think making them the focus like the way you are setting up is the way to go with them.

Same here Rush and I think you're right. Once other tank mates are added to the dynamic with different eating/feeding characteristics, it makes it more complicated.

I know when I kept groups of female bettas in community tank settings, they would over-eat and I'd loose them to bloat. They're total hogs when there is food available.
55g goldfish tank

Got a betta 1 month 2 weeks ago #69268

• blackcougar
  • Symphysodon discus
It's hard to feed them if there are other fish in the tank with them because the other fish will snatch the food at any chance they get. Sometimes bettas are better off by themselves but it's depending on the personality. They have been known to turn around and kill off their tank mates wanting the tank to themselves.

You have to be careful with what you keep with them, some fish are notorious for nipping at the Betta's fins to the point where the betta has been known to die.

I had one in a community tank once. We developed a feeding routine where I would feed him in the back corner of the tank around 10 at night. That seemed to work pretty well
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

Got a betta 1 month 2 weeks ago #69269

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
Sounds like you've got it all figured out.
55g goldfish tank

Got a betta 1 month 2 weeks ago #69271

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 387
I keeped my bettas always without Filtration. Had once a whole lineup of 8 cubes.
All heavy planted with easy maintaince plants like Javafern and alot of Moss. And at least 2/3 of the surface was covered with Azolla.
The water was heated by the Light.

If I woud Set up today an betta tank I would take one of this Nanofilters only for a bit of circulation put in one of this Mini heaters and use an fine gravel as substrate. As a bottom plant Anubia Nana and of course 2/3 covering with swimming plants.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Got a betta 1 month 2 weeks ago #69277

• blackcougar
  • Symphysodon discus
I'm going to put in one of those sponge filters that hook up to an air pump. That's all the filtration he requires, because they are not very strong swimmers so there is the chance of the fins getting sucked up into the filter.

A sponge filter will allow me to have shrimp in there with him.

The sponge is cycling in my 65 gallon. I plan to get the rest of the stuff on Thursday and hopefully get the tank set up that night.

I already have the five gallon, but it still needs a heater and substrate.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

Got a betta 1 month 1 week ago #69295

• blackcougar
  • Symphysodon discus
He is in his new home and seemed like he couldn't wait to make the transfer. I put the fish bowl in front of the tank and he was trying to swim through the glass.

I took a picture from the first day I bought him and you can see the color change on him. You would not think it's the same fish but it is.

He's a beauty and I noticed the smaller tear in his tail is gaining the blue color along the fin back and it's slowly healing. The larger chunk missing is going to take more time I suspect but I see new growth along the missing chunk. He's starting to heal.

Day one

Day five

Same fish love the morphing color on him.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds