Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!!

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 9 months 4 weeks ago #71660

• JakeB
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
There is time to release. My son loves to eat anything that he catches so we had those for dinner that night. I usually prefer to release them just so I don't have to bother with the mess of cleaning them up.
Tank: Display 450 g; 2.5 ft tall and deep by 9 ft long with 100g sump

zebra oscar x 1
red severum x 1
green severum x 1
convict cichlid x 1
tin foil barbs x 4
featherfin cat x 1
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 4 months 3 weeks ago #72219

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 495
Summer is here. Fishing has been pretty good though I think I may need to separate my thoughts to be able to get into the finer details of my issues with bass fishing vs what I have had success with so far this year fishing in general.

Crappies - been on them hard this year. The ice was out late this year - like nearly May before the ice was gone on some lakes up here, so all of the spawns were delayed due to low water temps. I did some camping in Itasca this year with the family and caught a lot of northern pike which really, is not uncommon. THey are generally aggressive and fairly easy to catch so when I have a lot of ppl on the boat, especially ppl who just want to feel a tight line, I will take them out for pike. They were furious. Several doubles, a really nice 30+ incher, and a lot of follows. I had my suspicions about them just being up to spawn, or maybe just finishing but that was all confirmed when we landed the 30 incher and he, well, exploded all over the floor of my boat. Yes, fish sperm. It was a mess. That was memorial day weekend. A solid 2-3 weeks behind their typical spawn. And of course when the pike are up shallow that means nothing else is - like crappies. I think the water temp was probably ok for them to spawn by memorial day weekend, but because the notherns were up there, they just had to hold in their staging areas and wait for the pike to finish and go back to deeper water. Long story short is that I got to experience some crappie fishing during their spawn which I normally miss because it happens so early in the year and it was a blast. Several hours of just drop in and jig once or twice and pop, you've got a 11-12 inch crappie - every time. It was awesome. They all held right directly in the 6-8 foot weed line. THey were just waiting to go up shallow, holding there. And all you had to do was put in next to that weed line and they were just thick in there. I caught a limit easy (25) but I only kept about a dozen knowing that I didn't want to spend all night cleaning fish. And crappie is taaaaaaaasty fish man. So good.

Pike have been easy to come by. Good numbers as usual, and in the predictable spots. I've even caught a handful of walleyes this year and would love to chase more of them as well.

And of course the little one is with me. He is getting better at casting and retrieving. He still really needs to watch where he is flinging the hook though before the cast. It's been a good season so far. Bass fishing should really start to heat up now that we are in the thick of summer here.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 4 months 3 weeks ago #72223

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
Nice!

I've never caught a pike before. Are they as bony as the pickerel?

Recently been camping this summer and managed to catch a 14in-ish bill head catfish as well as a small chain pickerel and some perch. Didn't keep any to eat.

Sorry, it's bullhead, not bill head. Spell check :angry:

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 4 months 3 weeks ago #72225

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
Very nice and Boy is getting big. I was fishing a couple of times last week but did just catched a couple of pike not much bigger as of your boys.
Weather is way to hot, rivers are super low and water is close to tropical fish tanks temp.

Oscarnom, pikes mouth are hard and you need for sure sharp but also good quality hooks because they are able to bend them open.
Pike fishing is mostly a big bait/lure thing. This guys attack things like 3/4 there size and the big mamas are great fun and a good fight.
They are also a pain in the ass to land without net because there teeths are razer sharp. So if you wanna fish for them steal leader should be a must or something like 1 mm Fluoarbon
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 4 months 2 weeks ago #72230

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks, that's good to know.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds