Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tournament time

Tournament time 5 months 3 weeks ago #70143

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 477
One of my best friends from high school and I have entered into a tournament series. 5 tournaments over 2 and a half months. Entry fees are a couple hundo per boat per tournament. First place finish permits individual entry into a singles tournament that could (if you win) put you into the bassmaster classic.

I personally am tempering my expectations, but I am preparing for success. I picked up some decent rain gear, in preparation of putting in 8 hours of fishing in the rain, and I still need to find some sun gear. Long sleeve breathable shirts and a comfortable hat and shades. Looking at getting another omen black medium heavy for deep heavy jigging and deep lipless cranks.

First tournament is on Mississippi river pools 4 and 5... never bass fished a river system this big before. And while I'm familiar with rivers and trout fishing, this definitely makes me nervous. The whole thing makes me a little nervous to be honest. Should be fun though. See how we really size up against other people who know what they are doing.

Stay tuned.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tournament time 5 months 3 weeks ago #70148

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 903
You ever know until you try. Kudos for chasing something you love doing. If you get to the Arkansas River near Russeville or Lake Dardnelle in Arkansas, hit me up. I have relatives that have been fishing those areas their entire lives and have guided for legends.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Tournament time 5 months 3 weeks ago #70150

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Thinking about taking the gopro's along too, but we'll see how the first one goes...

Tournament time 5 months 3 weeks ago #70151

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
to get into the BassMasters Classic is the holy grail for bass fishing, be killer you make it in.
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

Tournament time 5 months 3 weeks ago #70152

• toom
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 410
Very cool. I can remember we had tournements like this. Than the Green Party got into power in coalation for 4 years and they forbid any kind of hunting trophy sport and changed fisging laws to also forbid catch and release excluding fish is catched out of his season or undersized.
So you may see how it works. You basicly are not allowed to fish for Sport because it's not allowed to fish without intention to eat your catch.

To small not allowed
To big not allowed until you all take it with you what 90% don't do because you may know for species conservation because an 3 to 4 feet mama Pike is needed for making new Pikes.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Tournament time 5 months 3 weeks ago #70153

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
popss wrote:
to get into the BassMasters Classic is the holy grail for bass fishing, be killer you make it in.

Would be a once in a life time kinda thing for me. Odds are definitely against me though.

Tournament time 5 months 3 weeks ago #70154

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
toom wrote:
Very cool. I can remember we had tournements like this. Than the Green Party got into power in coalation for 4 years and they forbid any kind of hunting trophy sport and changed fisging laws to also forbid catch and release excluding fish is catched out of his season or undersized.
So you may see how it works. You basicly are not allowed to fish for Sport because it's not allowed to fish without intention to eat your catch.

To small not allowed
To big not allowed until you all take it with you what 90% don't do because you may know for species conservation because an 3 to 4 feet mama Pike is needed for making new Pikes.

Luckily most of our DNR facilities are driven by money. They want you to fish because you need to buy a license. That money goes to the DNR. If people stopped fishing then there would be a lot less need for the DNR.

Tournament time 4 months 4 weeks ago #70396

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Humble pie. Gotta eat it every once in a while... Got my serving this weekend.

Saturday was our first tournament. Mississippi River pools 4 and 5. I've never bass fished a river system before, and it showed this weekend.

I headed down to my buddies house Thursday after work. Got there around 1030 and loaded up the boat and situated gear. Went to bed and got up at around 330A to head down to Wabasha about 2 and a half hours further south. We got to the water around 7. Launched the boat and began prefishing.

What we saw was an abundance of good fishable territory. Lots of flooded trees and brush, good cover in the way of fallen trees and over cast skies. The first 5-6 hours we worked our way through this type of cover but with little to show. We caught northern after northern but the bass were very few and far between. After several hours of getting discouraged and working through the flood plains we moved back into the main channel and found a large eddie that ran against the shoreline with docks lined up. We fished this area for less than 30 minutes and landed two keepers. We left immediately so as not to pressure the area too much knowing we'd come back the next day.

The next morning at 6 we launched. We were boat 8 of 16 to launch and we hit our spot with no other boats in sight. We were devastated to find no keepers. Two or three northerns, and a white bass, but no largemouth or small mouth. The two we caught the day before were easily 16-17 inches. Good keepers, but nothing this day when it counted. We made three or four passes on the spot before moving on. Spent almost half the day there.

After deciding to move on we found another backwater area that was shallow and had little to no current, much like the flood plain we fished the day before but this had a consistent shoreline. Had a few docks that we fished as well. I landed the first keeper fish here. A small smallmouth. 1lb 14 oz. Small, but it was the icebreaker that we needed. We breathed a little easier after catching that guy, but still had no consistent pattern. I pulled him in on the floating rapala. Twitching it at the surface and then slow rolling it in was the key. Just a straight retrieval would gain you nothing, except maybe an aggressive northern. We knew the bite was slow at this point. Another spell of 2 or so hours with no keepers. We caught 2-3 under 14 inches (14 inch minimum to weigh) but that was it. It was looking bleak. Finally my buddy hooked into a solid keeper. 17 inches and 2lbs 10 oz. He was throwing a weightless senko, twitching it nice and slow. I eventually switched over to this as well, but couldn't hold a candle to him, he has this technique dialed in. He pulled in two more in a matter of 30-45 minutes. All were right around the 17 inch mark. Solid keepers, but at 4 fish, we still didn't' have a full bag. With about an hour left, we headed toward the launch and fished our way in, but caught nothing else.

Conditions were horrid. About 40 degrees at launch at 530 in the morning, high was 46 degrees. It started raining at about 830 and never stopped. Wind was 10-15 consistently with gusts of 20-25. Ridiculous. A big part of me thought that the conditions just maybe shut them down and that we did ok.

I was wrong. Almost every boat brought a 5 bag limit in. We came in 11 of 16. Our total weight was 10lbs 14 ounces. First place was over 19 lbs........ Just got worked.

It's not even the fact that we lost or that we placed so low for me. I mean I knew these guys were going to be legit. But the fact that I couldn't pull my weight out there is what upsets me the most. It's all about versatility. You have to go where the fish are. No matter where they are. Go where they are, fish where they are, throw what they want, and do it flawlessly, or get the f out. Lol.

Humble pie. Get a slice. :rush:

Tournament time 4 months 4 weeks ago #70400

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 903
Hey, 11 of 16, that means 5 other boats (10 other fishermen) suck worse than you. :thumbs:

I hope this is not an omen for my week. Leaving for the Buffalo/Crooked Creek this morning. The Buffalo had a 10 foot rise Friday, from a bad ass storm system that blew through. It's dropped back down below 6', but I hope the water has cleared. You don't catch squat on a muddy Buffalo.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Tournament time 4 months 4 weeks ago #70405

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Yea I mean, I don't know how to feel about that. It's not like we ever found a really reliable pattern either. The three fish that my buddy caught I feel like was something tangible that we could maybe repeat - and if we had started out doing that earlier in the day maybe we would have been in the mix (top 4-5) but I wasn't really a part of that.

The 5 boats below us were: bottom two, no fish. Next two up, one fish. Next one up two fish. And then we had four. Everyone else had five.

I'm going to really use the weightless senko technique hard the next few times I go out so I can get a good feel for it. Next time if we go down, we'll go down swinging.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds