Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2017 Fishing Thread

2017 Fishing Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #70662

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 902
Those look awesome. I've used the "Firetiger" coloration on a number of Lures. It's become my go-to color.

I've been using softbaits made by a local guy. He's got a grub looking thing that just absolutely tears up the smallmouth. I've never seen anything like it. And I've NEVER had a fish spit it. It either feels so real to them or tastes so real that when they hit, they don't let go. I'll try and get a photo a bit later. They are very simple baits but man.... are they effective.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2017 Fishing Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #70668

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 406
Savage Gear really has some next Level stuff if it comes to realism on jerk and softbaits, if you can get some just go for it. But some are also really Overkill.
Like the 12 inch and 1.5 pound trout.

But the movement on that thing also on the 15 cm one that is actually able to be casted with only 30 gramms and not a lure that need to be fragged behind a boat is even that good.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

2017 Fishing Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #70669

• kmuda
  • Admin
Savage Gear makes some awesome lures. I've used their 3D Craw extensively

Have you seen their 3D Rat? I've thought about buying one of these just to remove the hooks and take to a local swimming pool. Cast it in, start reeling it back, and watch people freak out. I think Ted has fished with this before.

2017 Fishing Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #70670

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
The savage Rat looks also very good. The Pool idea would be aswome but be careful. Someone would propperly be triggered and sue you.

:pinch:

2017 Fishing Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #70677

• ted
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 15
Those rat baits are surprisingly effective. My brother in law has been catching bass over 5 pounds all spring and summer with the Spro version. I have a knock off from China. I really haven't used it that much. Too hot this time of year. For me.

I do think that some of Savage's stuff is designed just to win at ICAST, but what the heck. It sells lures. This year, it's the 3D Bat.

Thinking about it. The rat is just a large wake bait. The duck is a large buzzbait. And, the new bat is a large version of the old Heddon Crazy Crawler.

2017 Fishing Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #70678

• kmuda
  • Admin
I have not seen the bat. I'll have to check that one out.

2017 Fishing Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #70680

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, off course its alot of marketing but savage gear is an britisch company and fishing in europe is an different thing as in the US, also the only fish here in europe that goes for ducks, rats, bats or wohle trouts are pikes or catfish what is more or less very rare to catch them on surface.

Pike is i think way more protected and also fished as over there in North America so most regular sized pikes was allready catched once or twice in there life because they need to be released and so they become more skeptical and even learn to avoid strange looking and brightly colored shads or hardlures.
Another big difference is we are also not be allowed to use live bait like fish, reptiles, amphibiens, crustacean or mammals and especially in Summer and antum wehre predatory fish still hunt very active chances are not that good to catch something with a dead handsized rud while the water is overpopulated with fry and juvies. So something new mostly brings success.

Basicly the same goes here for carp fishing what is way more popular as for example casting. But because anybody goes for the big fishes that are like allready 5 to 25 years old, 10 to 50 pound and most likley allready catched up to a dozen times, anglers have to progress because this fishes had learned to be more careful and also to avoid the baits with the flavour they wehre catched with.
For this a typical carp angler looks for an spot pre feeds with particles like feeder mixes with part sweet corn and crumbled boilis with the flavour they will use and that daily for 4 to 7 days. Than they come with around 250 pound and thousends of bucks worth of teckel on hand trucks and build a Camp what looks because anything is in camouflage like an ISAF bridgehead in Kunduz and always become very, very and something times verrrrrrrrry angry if someone comes with his baitcaster along the shore or even a Kanu or kajak, boat or Wind surfer dares to come near there lines or camp. That carpers even use robotic warfare with RC drone boats that even avoid casrung the rod out by himself.

Look at that thing, could be the boat from the Series with Hulk Hogen from the 90s.

2017 Fishing Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #70688

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 477
Now that's a setup! I'd love to camp right on the waters edge like that.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

2017 Fishing Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #70692

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
~rush~ wrote:
Now that's a setup! I'd love to camp right on the waters edge like that.

My house is the last road that goes down to an carp fishing Hotspot on the Weser river. No kidding, on an hot summer weekend the river shore there looks like Operation Desert storm with all that tents, gaint umbrellas, camouflage camping chair/beds, rod pods with 4 rods on it 40 pound of fish food, military gas cartridge cooker, hooking mats. They even take fricking 12 Volt car batteries with them to reload there bait boats.

Carp anglers are also always wearing full olive green or military cloths, its like law for them and may think the hostile fish army will not notice them even more if they blend in into there suroundings. I bet someday i will even see one wearing an Ghillie suit.

2017 Fishing Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #70699

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 477
Don't you ever do any carp fishing toom?
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds