Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Type Fishing Gear

Type Fishing Gear 1 month 3 weeks ago #70413

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 898
On my most recent North Arkansas fishing excursion, I only took three Rod/Reel combinations (left the most expensive stuff at home, too likely to get lost when fishing from a kayak in water as high as it was)..

Abu Gracia Black max/Vendettta M/H Rod - basically never got used. Only used it when we stopped on a gravel bank and I was trying cast to the other side of the river.

Pfuenger Presidential Limited/Fenwick HMG 6' Medium Light Rod - Originally intended to use with lighter baits (Crickhoppers, Rapallas, etc,,,,)

Okuma Trio High Speed/Vendetta 6'6"Medium Rod - To be used with 1/4oz Jig heads.

On the third day fishing, while casting the Okuma/Vendetta combo, the Rod came into contact with the other Vendetta that was sticking up from a rod holder behind my seat and snapped at about the 4th (from the top) eyelet. Up until that point I had used the Okuma Reel on the Vendetta rod almost exclusively because I was catching fish after fish and did not want to change. However, after snapping the rod I moved over to the Pfuenger Presidential Limited Edition/Fenwick combo.

I have to say that I prefer the Okuma reel over the Presidential. The higher speed allowed me to get the fish retrieved quicker or quickly reel in the bait on a failed cast, both of which are important when combat fishing from a fast moving stream containing obstacles wanting to dump your kayak. Aside from speed, it just felt more robust. I was also getting much further casting with this red/reel combo. How much the added 6" of the Vendetta Rod plays into this I don't know. However, when it comes to feeling what your bait and/or hooked fish are doing, there was no comparison between the Vendetta and Fenwick HMG. The HMG blew the doors off the Vendetta.

So I have a Vendetta to replace. I'm trying to decide to go with another Fenwick HMG (Medium this time) or over to a 13Fishing Omen Rod. :confused:

EDIT: Looks like I need to stay with Fenwick as they are basically the only quality Rod maker who makes 6' rods, which is what you need for kayak fishing. I can't get 13 Fishing in anything shorter than 7'. I can handle a 6'6" rod, max, but would prefer 6'. I have a 7' and 6'6" Rod for my bait casters, which are my primary Lake./Large Mouth rigs, but for combat fishing on a moving stream, I need a 6' rod. Looks like the remaining decision is....... I need to decide if the HMG is worth the extra $20 over an HMX?

EDIT: EDIT: Hmmmm, looks like the Omen Black has a 6' 3" Medium version. That would be the ticket, I think.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Type Fishing Gear 1 month 3 weeks ago #70418

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 399
What do you think of the Gamakatsu AJ Masters AJ Masters?
I could make a couple of casts with it with a 1000 shimano reel. It just so super light.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Type Fishing Gear 1 month 3 weeks ago #70420

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 476
FWIW I have a 7'1" medium omen black that is awesome. I know it's not a 6 footer and will likely feel a bit different, but it is balanced very nicely and has great sensitivity and backbone. If you don't want to gamble, I think that going with the HMG is a solid. I've fished the HMX before and don't like it quite as much, but it's not a bad rod.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Type Fishing Gear 1 month 3 weeks ago #70424

• kmuda
  • Admin
I have the Omen 7'1" MH Rod. I like it. I have "Light" covered with the Fenwick HMG. What I need is a Medium, although Medium Light would probably be a better option for Small Mouth/Stream fishing. I can get the Fenwick HMG in a 6' Medium Light rod while the Omen would be a 6' 3" Medium. How much difference do you think there is between a M and an ML?

Type Fishing Gear 1 month 3 weeks ago #70430

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
I can't answer that. I've never owned a medium light before. I have my Medium 6'6" HMG's and then the 6' ultralight.

I'm guessing the ML would be a really nice rod. Part of me thinks that the 6'3" medium would be a little too stout just given the length, but that's just a guess too.

Type Fishing Gear 1 month 3 weeks ago #70445

• kmuda
  • Admin
I went with the Fenwick 6' ML Rod. The broken Vendetta was a 6' 6" Medium Rod and I did not like it's feel when catching smallmouth. Too stiff. I have a baitcaster on the same Vendetta 6' 6" Rod that is my "Medium" Rod for largemouth bass fishing, so I do have that area covered. The ML I am hoping can serve the dual purpose of being my primary Smallmouth Rod as well as a finesse rod for largemouth.

Type Fishing Gear 1 month 3 weeks ago #70446

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Just be careful when you are mentally preparing for 'finesse' tactics for largemouth and smallmouth. I know that you have a certain style of fishing from the kayak that dictates some of your tackle but remember that ultimately by sacrificing the strength and backbone of a rod you are significantly reducing your chances of landing that 20+ incher.

You can employ finesse tactics with medium strength rods, heck you can even employ finesse tactics with medium heavy rods. I just don't want to see you lose that big boy because you went a little too light on your tackle. Throwing smaller stuff on lighter line definitely increases your odds of hook ups, but at some point it also hurts you after you hook up with a 4,5,6 lber.

Type Fishing Gear 1 month 3 weeks ago #70448

• kmuda
  • Admin
Chances are, if I am fishing somewhere a 20"er is possible, I will be using either the 13 Fishing Inception baitcaster on a 7' 1" MH Omen Black Rod, or an Abu Garcia Black Max Baitcaster on a 6' 6" Vendetta M Rod. The Fenwick ML with the Okuma Trio Spincast Reel would be used when fishing up close in the weeds, etc..... with smaller (lighter) baits, or when combat fishing for smallmouth from the Kayak.

So for largemouth fishing, I basically have three rigs:

Primary: Inception Reel on 7'1" Omen Black MH - Used to bomb away from a distance, Spinbaits, crank baits, and plastics

Secondary: Abu Garcia Black Max on 6' 6" Medium Vendetta - Used to bomb away from a distance, basically using the same bait options as the Inception, just rigged with something different. For example, if casting a spinbait on the Inception, the Black Max/Vendetta combo may be rigged with a Crankbait, worm, or craw.

Tertiary: Okuma Trio High Speed on Fenwick 6' ML rod. Primary top water rig for tossing lighter weight baits (Smaller Rapalla's, Rebel Minnows, Crickhoppers, weightless flukes or worms, etc...) or for up close fine tuned casting. Hopefully enough backbone to pull a fish from the weeds.

For Smallmouth Fishing I basically have two rigs:

Primary: Okuma Trio High Speed on Fenwick 6' ML rod. Basic go to smallmouth Rig.

Secondary: Pflueger Presidential Limited Edition on Fenwick 6' Light Rod: Used for ultra light baits such as the smaller Crickhoppers and Rapallas. Or when fishing for Pan fish.

Type Fishing Gear 1 month 1 week ago #70504

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Just wanting to throw this out there. If you guys do a lot, or even a little bit of panfishing - crappies, sunfish, perch, whatever - you must have an ultralight rod. It's so much fun. Forget that a 6ish foot rod and an appropriate sized reel makes panfishing with small lures and tiny jigs easy and efficient, or that feeling and setting the hook on panfish with an ultralight is what it is designed for... It's just plain fun.

This past weekend I bought my son a new rod and reel. He had one of the push button release movie character based rod combos. His was iron man. It lights up when you push the button and he's just a huge iron man junkie overall. Fortunately/unfortunately, the reel bit the dust after (I think) he fought in a 6-7 lb carp on the river a few weeks ago. We took it out to fish on the dock and the gears to the spool were stripped. So he could cast but couldn't retrieve. Went to the local shop since we were at the cabin for the weekend and he couldn't wait to go fishing. Ended up with a 5ft 6inch berkely combo. Not the highest quality rod out there. I think we paid 30 bucks for the rod/reel combo and an extra 10 bucks for some trilene 4lb test mono.

As luck would have it he hooked up with a 33 inch northern pike on this little rod and reel and lands it like a champ. I had to help him out a bit, the rod and reel worked beautifully handling the 15-20 yard bursts that the pike rattled off 2-3 times. Right after the pike was landed, he also caught a nice little 13 inch bass, and a handful of sunnies as well. What a blast.

I have my own scheels series ultralight as well and love it for spring crappies and sunfish as well. Don't turn your nose up at panfish just because they are 'easy to catch'. They are a blast on the proper tackle and taste damn good too. :)

Type Fishing Gear 1 month 1 week ago #70509

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 399
Sounds aswome and also that the little men allready outshine his old dad on the water. :lol:
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds