Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Type Fishing Gear

Type Fishing Gear 1 year 2 months ago #64029

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 898
I don't know that we've had this discussion in the past. I would be interested in knowing what type of fishing gear you guys use. Me? I use a combination. When canoeing and fishing for smallmouth, I use a Diawa Goldcast Spincast Rod and a 5'6" Zebco Rod. I find the spincast is easiest to use with one hand and you don't have to fight tangles/backlashes, which are a problem when you are in a canoe and the fishing spots are flowing past you.... and perhaps some rapids approaching.

For bass fishing (or catching catfish), I use an 6' Ugly Stick with an Abu Garcia Black Max Baitcaster.

I also have a Southbend Eclipse that I found on the river, someone had dumped a canoe and lost their reel and pole. I don't really like using these type reels but I carry it as a backup.

90% of my fishing is on the Ozark streams, fishing for Smallmouth and Kentucky Rock Bass. My "go to" baits are Rebel Crickhoppers. These things flat out catch smallmouth and trout.

I also use plastic crawdads of various colors. I know on the float rivers and streams in my area, Pumpkin colored crawdads work best until the algae and plants get established, at which point I move over to green crawdads. Aside from the Crickhoppers, I'm not big on crank baits and don't even own a spinner bait, but I have every worm, crawdad, frog, and plastic whatnot known to man.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Type Fishing Gear 1 year 2 months ago #64031

• dlll
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
I use a simple Spincast reel for all types of fishing, Bass, northern pike, walleye, trout, catfish, everything. I hate those open reels, I could never cast them, but the spincasts I can hit a rock or stump from 75+ feet no problem with one hand.

Mostly I use live bait or these for northern pike

Type Fishing Gear 1 year 2 months ago #64032

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
The classic rapala. aint changed in 40 years. and for good reason.
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

Type Fishing Gear 1 year 2 months ago #64034

• bassetmancichlids
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 395
Mostly flies and hair poppers from a 3, 5, or 8 weight rod for me. And heavy casting gear for sturgeon in the snake and Columbia

Type Fishing Gear 1 year 2 months ago #64186

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 898
I've never gotten into Fly Fishing although it's the type of fishing I love to do. Up to my waist in clear flowing water casting out for fish. :thumbs:

It's not fly fishing, but the Crickhopper baits I posted above allow me to catch fish you would normally only catch with flies, when used with an ultralight setup. So I kinda fake fly fish. :think:
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Type Fishing Gear 1 year 2 months ago #64211

• bassetmancichlids
  • Advice Team
Fishing hopper flies midsummer is as good as any fishing gets.

Type Fishing Gear 1 year 2 months ago #64212

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
Any of you old timers remember the Mitchell 300 spinning reel? I still have one, its from the 70"s and works as well as it did back then.I recall it cost something like $30 back then. Be like spending 300 now. Its had new line a couple of times though. lol.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Type Fishing Gear 1 year 2 months ago #64215

• bassetmancichlids
  • Advice Team
I have two that work fine. They were grandad's

Type Fishing Gear 1 year 2 months ago #64218

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 399
I have alot of fishing gear like two heavy carp rods with free runners on a Rodpot with visual and electrical bait alerts, a heavy spinning rod for cods and Pikes but my Favorite kind of System is the Winkelpicker rod with a front brake where is own 4 of them.

Its like a all in one System for me for fishes up to 2 to 14 inches. You can put it on ground with a feeding basket and a single pinky maggot and catch fishes between 2 and 3 inches and see there baits on the very sensetive and in 90 degree layed rod tip, you can put a small spinner or twister on it or a sensetive 1 to 1.5 gramm pose.

An very light and multi optional setup so with a good Box of poses, leads, feeder baskets, spinners, twisters and hooks you can basicly fish for anything on any kind of water from white fish to pearch and trout.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Type Fishing Gear 1 year 2 months ago #64219

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 399
Just a question..

I can remember this commercial already runs as I was a kid, did anybody tried this thing?? :lol:
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds