Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Oscar has multiple symptoms

Oscar has multiple symptoms 2 months 3 weeks ago #72255

• Seattle13
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey everyone,

So about a month ago I noticed my Oscars belly was becoming swollen. It was not in any sort of weird behavior and I figured it was constipation. I tried feeding it peas, but it didn't seem to like/eat them. I would make the fish fast for 3-4 days and put them in so that it would hopefully be hungry. Well this did not seem to help.

More recently its poor eyes have clouded up and may or may not have pop eye. I honestly can't tell. Like it looks normal, but they might be a little bulging, or they might now. I know this probably doesn't help.

The fishs anus seems to also look a bit swollen. I have never sexed my fish, but I think it is female.

It also had weird blisters around its pectoral fin. They were like small clear balloons, but they have all pretty much gone away.

Tank perimeters are as follows:

55 Gallon tank (I know everyone is going to jump on the "it's too small", but I have had this fish for 5 years in the tank with no problem until now)
PH - 6.6
Ammonia - 0ppm (maybe somewhere under 2.5)
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - Somewhere between a 5-10ppm (like a 7.5)

Tank is filtered with with 2 x Aqua Clear 50 HOB and 1 x Eheim Classic 2215

I am currently treating the tank with Melafix. I am 7 days into the treatment.

Tank gets a full clean and 85% water change every week.

Thanks for any advice!!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oscar has multiple symptoms 2 months 3 weeks ago #72256

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
Can you add pictures? In this case with several symptoms i would suggest a commen cause. But I am not very sure to recommend a deworming against flaggelants.

For the swollen belly and anus. Try to feed more fibers and try to soak your food in garlic extract.
This is of course no medical advice but it helps his digestion.
Also put the temps in the higher regions between 26/28 degrees and make sure you have good surface movement for gas exchange.

Also some questions.

What food do you use?
Do you use feeder fish?
Are there tank mates?
Did you change something in the last weeks? Dosen't matter if it seems not worth noticing? Like introducing decorations, switching media?

Is he still eating?
Is he interessted by cleaning a spot?
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Oscar has multiple symptoms 2 months 3 weeks ago #72257

• Seattle13
I am feeding Tetra Cichlid Floating Cichlid Sticks. I have been feeding my fish these since I got it. Never used feeder fish for fear of passing along worms.

It has one tank mate. A Black Convict Cichlid.

The tanks temp is set at 80F so 26/27C. I have an 8 inch bubble wand and a 2inch diameter disk to oxygenate and move water.

I have not introduced anything new to the tank, or changed media. I have only taken the carbon out of the HOBs because of the Melafix.

The fish is still interested in eating, although with the eyes clouding I think it is not as easy for it to see. The fish has stopped moving the sand around like he used to, and I don't know if it ever had a cleaning spot.

[/URL][/img]
[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

Oscar has multiple symptoms 2 months 3 weeks ago #72258

• Seattle13
Pics

Oscar has multiple symptoms 2 months 3 weeks ago #72259

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
Wow, this looks very bad. You need to treat against boat. At least i would do it but you need to do this soon. It may it is allready to late. But you can try.

May best with a medication on metronidazole or dimetridazole base. Maybe the others have a different optinion
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Oscar has multiple symptoms 2 months 3 weeks ago #72261

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
That seems to be a very sick Oscar indeed.
This can be bloat or even a tumor which causes the abdomen to swell. As well as a bacterial infection which may cause swelling.

Treat for bloat like toom recommends.

Is this swollen area hard or soft?
This can tell the difference between the two.

Do you peel the peas? If not, do so and try again.
Watch over him constantly and make sure he's eating.

If it's already been a month it's most likely too late for him. :(

Here's some more info www.oscarfishlover.com/oscar-with-swollen-abdomen

Oscar has multiple symptoms 2 months 3 weeks ago #72262

• Seattle13
My poor fishy. This is very sad news indeed.

The area is soft. It is not firm. I do peel the peas and try to drop them in the tank in a way that will spark his interest. The fish just never seems to want to eat it.

It really hasn't pooped in quite some time. That is my main concern.

I am going to try and treat him and make him comfortable and see where it goes.

Oscar has multiple symptoms 2 months 3 weeks ago #72264

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 217
Very bad indeed, and I think the end may be near. A couple of things for future reference if I may. You recognize that the tank may be too small, but state that fish has been fine till just recently. This is common, where fish owners proclaim all is good, but then the fish only lives a half life expectancy. Oscars need big space and its very rare that an Oscar will get to 14ins and live 12 yrs in a 55g tank. The food you have been giving is poor quality. Oscars need a variety of feed, good quality with vitamin content. They need substantial veg percentages in the overall diet, as much as 40%. I dont mean to come off as preachy, and I know you have done what you feel is best, but in actual fact the fish has been raised somewhat wrong, and the result is what you see. The fish is suffering, no doubt. You may want to consider humanely putting it down. There are several methods, we can advise if you wish.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Oscar has multiple symptoms 2 months 3 weeks ago #72265

• Seattle13
I definitely realize that a 55 is too small and I will never again attempt to have an Oscar at this size. I realize it isn't fair to the fish, I did my best to keep the tank clean and spend the money on proper filtration. Unfortunately I was too hopeful. When my poor fish does pass, natural or if I need to do it, I will be turning the tank into a community tank. Well once the Convict ends up passing as well.

Food wise that is just ignorance. I just assumed that the pellets were OK to feed all the time. I honestly feel bad that my short comings in keeping the fish may have caused it to suffer.

Everyone has to live and learn, I wish I could have gone straight to a 100 gallon tank and knew exactly what to feed but I didn't. If I ever have an Oscar again that will be the route I go.

I appreciate the input from everyone.

Oscar has multiple symptoms 2 months 3 weeks ago #72266

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
Seattle13 wrote:
....Everyone has to live and learn, I wish I could have gone straight to a 100 gallon tank and knew exactly what to feed but I didn't. If I ever have an Oscar again that will be the route I go.

You are so correct!! Your next fish will be much better cared for based on what you've learned with this one.

With respect to euthanizing, I believe clove oil is the most humane approach. Although different chemicals, it's essentially the same approach vet's use to euthanize dogs, cats etc...

The approach I use is I apply 1 drop of clove oil / 2 gallons of water. With a large fish like yours, that amount won't be close to enough to see an effect on the fish. However, it will "soothe" or begin to sedate the fish into an unconscious state. I give the fish it's space for 20-30 minutes and then repeat the process. After a couple iterations, you'll be able to determine if you could add more drops / gallon of water. Eventually, you'll see the fish's activity begin to slow, including their breathing, begin to slow down and eventually their breathing will stop altogether.

The thing with clove oil that others have shared with me is if you put too much of it in the water all at once, it panics the fish - exactly what you're trying to avoid. My intention is for them to seamlessly drift off to "sleep". I've only done it twice but my approach seems to take the better part of a day and has worked as intended both times.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds