Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fishroom Feeding

Fishroom Feeding 3 weeks 1 day ago #72232

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
I am going to attempt to move all of my fish on to one primary pellet along with an occasional "treat" food like krill. I currently feed my larger fish Hikari Cichlid Gold (large) and they love it. My smaller fish, sadly, are receiving a much lower quality food, api bottom feeder shrimp pellets and api cichlid pellets. After these are all out I am thinking about moving all of my fish onto Hikari Cichlid Bio Gold as the primary pellet and using tetra jumbo krill as a treat. I know almost everyone on this site feeds bio gold but what about the Jumbo Krill? A guy on youtube that I like named GuapoteMel uses them and recommends them. He has some BIG tanks.

Does anybody have any experience feeding krill? What about other freeze dried treats?

Thank You,
Aquamoo

GuapoteMel's channel
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fishroom Feeding 3 weeks 10 hours ago #72237

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 217
Depending on what kind of fish you keep, it may be not such a good idea to stick to one pellet. Same as krill, its a good treat for omnivorous fish, but shouldn't be relied on too heavily. Mel's specialty is mostly Dovii, other Parachromis and Amphillophus. A little more on the carnivorous and piscivore side. For your Oscar, Biogold is very good, but Oscar does best with a varied diet and substantial veg content. Veg based pellets, kelp wafers and feed designed for herbivorous fish are very good for Oscars. Tetra Jumbo Krill is good and is available in a big coffee can size. I tried it once, and was left with a big amount ow powder in the bottom. Mel feeds a lot of big fish, the supply gets used up quicker than the average home hobbyist. You would do better with a 53g container of Omega1 krill.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aquamoo

Fishroom Feeding 3 weeks 7 hours ago #72238

• Aquamoo
Northstar5 wrote:
Depending on what kind of fish you keep, it may be not such a good idea to stick to one pellet. Same as krill, its a good treat for omnivorous fish, but shouldn't be relied on too heavily. Mel's specialty is mostly Dovii, other Parachromis and Amphillophus. A little more on the carnivorous and piscivore side. For your Oscar, Biogold is very good, but Oscar does best with a varied diet and substantial veg content. Veg based pellets, kelp wafers and feed designed for herbivorous fish are very good for Oscars. Tetra Jumbo Krill is good and is available in a big coffee can size. I tried it once, and was left with a big amount ow powder in the bottom. Mel feeds a lot of big fish, the supply gets used up quicker than the average home hobbyist. You would do better with a 53g container of Omega1 krill.

Any recommendations on Veg Pellets, only ones I have used are the Omega One Veggie Rounds? I have 2 Oscars, 1 pleco (Pterygoplichthys pardalis) I think, 1 Jack Dempsey, 4 convicts (going to sell them soon), 1 Texas, 1 Electric blue Acara, and 2 Australian rainbowfish. All of them are cichlids except the Pleco and the rainbowfish and all get 5+ inches? (EB Acara might not) and I believe they are all omnivorous.

So it is your recommendation to have various food types? Should I feed them on a schedule like food a mondays and fridays, food b saturdays, and food c tuesday- thursday or is it best to feed randomly? I don't feed my fish on Sundays as I have been told by numerous people to have at least one day off of feeding.

For the pleco I am trying to feed him veggies I drop in with a fork along with Algae Wafers.

Any recommended foods would be greatly appreciated. And a plus if they don't break the bank.

Thank You,
Aquamoo

Fishroom Feeding 3 weeks 1 hour ago #72239

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
+1 NorthStar, the more food the merrier :)

Your O's can eat quite a bit of foods because they tend not to be picky. I'll recommend both the Omega1 freeze dried krill and bloodworms, especially if you soak them in a vitamin supplement. They may also eat some household foods like peeled grapes (mine hates the skin) mangos, strawberry, and peas (vitamin C and a good laxative).

For your plecos you could try raw zucchini and cucumbers. Maybe the NorthFin veggie pellets (sinking type)?

This, and other forums have agreed on how good the NorthFin Cichlid pellet is. I feed him this almost every day in the 2mm size. It might be a bit more expensive compared to some other choices, but I find this the most bang for buck.

Links from Amazon:

www.amazon.com/Omega-One-Freeze-Dried-0-...eze+dried+bloodworms

www.amazon.com/Omega-One-Freeze-Dried-0-...e+freeze+dried+krill

www.amazon.com/Northfin-Cichlid-Formula-...orthfin+cichlid+food

www.amazon.com/Northfin-Veggie-Formula-P...Y803TH5BZF742FRHFTM2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aquamoo

Fishroom Feeding 2 weeks 6 days ago #72244

• Aquamoo
I will have to try out some of the NorthFin stuff. I also have a bunch of omega one frozen food that I forgot about! I have the brine shrimp, bloodworms, and mysis shrimp. I haven't fed them to the Oscars in a while though, I wonder if they will still like them. If not the convicts and JD will definitely eat them.

Oscarmon do you prefer the freeze dried over the frozen? I thought that the frozen has more nutrients in it. Also thank you for the links, much appreciated :)

Im thinking about getting the Omega One cichlid formula frozen food as when I had it in the past my O's loved them. They have some nice ingredients to: Salmon, Kelp, Spirulina, and even garlic which I know is supposed to be really good for them.

The entire ingredients list is:

Salmon, Whole Pink Shrimp, Whole Kelp, Halibut, Pacific Cod, Spirulina, Shrimp Eggs, Gel Binder, Vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Menadione, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine, Vitamin B12, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin, Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline, Inositol), Garlic.

Thank You,
Aquamoo

Fishroom Feeding 2 weeks 6 days ago #72246

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 217
Check the percentages of frozen food. Its generally 75% or better moisture, single digit protein. All worthless imo. Freeze drieds and pellet are vastly superior.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Fishroom Feeding 2 weeks 6 days ago #72249

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
Aquamoo, I personally prefer the freeze dried. This is mainly because there aren't any stores that carry frozen foods near enough to me.
Petco is a 45+ min drive depending on traffic for me.

I think they would love the frozen stuff as long as you mix in other foods with the diet. It's really up to you considering what Northstar5 said. There are varied opinions.

BTW: I find it hilarious that you're one of the few that has spelled my user correctly :laughcry:

(No offense to those who've made the mistake).

Fishroom Feeding 2 weeks 1 day ago #72263

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
When I fed freeze dried krill to my Oscar I'd hydrate it with Vitachem. Put the krill in a spoon, put 6-10 drops of Vitachem in the spoon, let it sit for 15 minutes and you've got a pretty good meal....if you're a fish!!
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds