Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Back at it... Project Wild Columbia

Back at it... Project Wild Columbia 4 months 4 weeks ago #72007

• DMD4321
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 17
~rush~ wrote:
Sorry to hear. I personally would rehome #1. Unlikely that he will spontaneously become chill.

That is the way Im leaning right now, to rehome Oscar #1. This will make for an awesome solo wet pet Oscar for sure. I think it might even hold its own with some Central Americans, not that I would recommend that but this guy is pretty mean.

Oscar #2 is a bit mellower but it was still picking on Oscar #3 too. It just was not tearing up fins like Oscar #1. Looked like the scales had started to be removed from Oscar #3 also. Seemed to happen while fish was still alive. Just the day before Oscar #3 was feeding and doing well just the torn fins. So at some point Oscar #1 just went at him.

So a concern is how Oscar #2 will do socially if I raise it solo until it goes into the 300. I have found fish raised solo sometimes act kind of strange, like they dont understand the social/pecking order of cichlids and just end up better as a solo wet pet.

I wish I had a spare 75 laying around instead of the 65B.... Then I could keep one as a solo wet pet.
My tanks:
300g - H. Pearsei x1, P. heterospilus x1, Bichirs x 6
65B - Hairy Puffer x1
65B - Wild Columbia Oscars x3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Back at it... Project Wild Columbia 4 months 4 weeks ago #72008

• DMD4321
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Decided to try something... found a red oscar at Petsmart. It is bigger than both the Columbia Oscars. Just added it in and it caught on to eating bloodworms from Oscar #2. It showed no aggressiveness toward the smaller fish. Oscar #1 is in a time out net and I will release it when the new red settles in a bit more.
My tanks:
65B - Hairy Puffer x1
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

Back at it... Project Wild Columbia 4 months 4 weeks ago #72009

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 444
In my case it was a game changer as I introduced an nearly adult Oscar with the youngsters. The aggressive behaviour reduced around 80% while the smaller ones also gathered more together.
Of course its only an option if they are at least 3 to 3.5 inches and big and high backed enough to get eaten by an adult Oscar.

Also no agegessen of the big guy against the smallys till around 7 to 8"
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD4321

Back at it... Project Wild Columbia 4 months 4 weeks ago #72010

• DMD4321
  • Apistogramma agassizii
toom wrote:
In my case it was a game changer as I introduced an nearly adult Oscar with the youngsters. The aggressive behaviour reduced around 80% while the smaller ones also gathered more together.
Of course its only an option if they are at least 3 to 3.5 inches and big and high backed enough to get eaten by an adult Oscar.

Also no agegessen of the big guy against the smallys till around 7 to 8"

Thank you for that info.

So far the new tank raised has been a good influence on Oscar #2 and they both swim around together with no issues. If this kept up I could see keeping both to move into the 300. I will release the bad oscar soon and we will see how he reacts to the bigger red oscar.
My tanks:
65B - Hairy Puffer x1

Back at it... Project Wild Columbia 4 months 3 weeks ago #72012

• DMD4321
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Did a test of releasing the bad Oscar (wild Columbia #1) back into the tank and there was an odd tension between it and the new tank raised red but no fighting. But then it started nipping at Oscar #2. So back into time out it went and will likely rehome.

So I wasnt planning on having two oscars but the combo of the wild Columbia and Red just seems to work. There is zero aggressive behavior and they swim together and get along nicely.

So the negative to the wild oscar is that it really is a bland looking fish at this point. They go from that really cool dark pattern to a washed out light green at this stage (apx 3")
My tanks:
65B - Hairy Puffer x1
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

Back at it... Project Wild Columbia 4 months 3 weeks ago #72014

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 493
Too bad. I thought having the bigger red in there might have distracted #1 enough to leave #2 alone... guess not. Such is cichlid life.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Back at it... Project Wild Columbia 4 months 3 weeks ago #72016

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
True though... :dry:

Back at it... Project Wild Columbia 4 months 3 weeks ago #72017

• DMD4321
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Well its official... after all this wanting to have a cool wild type Oscar, I end up really liking the personality of the red better. lol

The wild has a skittish streak to it but at the same time a very bold fearlessness. The wild tends to dart about when I come into the garage and then takes a moment to settle down but is always enticed by food. It still eats bloodworms out of my fingers. The red is very calm with no tendency to dart about but still leary of my hand feedings. Having this combo of a tank raised and wild has been an interesting contrast of the Oscar fish.
My tanks:
65B - Hairy Puffer x1

Back at it... Project Wild Columbia 4 months 3 weeks ago #72020

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 444
The shy behaviour change like the coloration.

After loosing there Baby pattern in Nature it's a normal thing to become a blend and non visable little fish to not become food to someone else.
They start to show there adult coloration at around 10 to 12 months and are mostly finished after 1.5 to 2 years.
But than you have by far the best looking Oscars you can get. The wild patterns far ahead.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Back at it... Project Wild Columbia 4 months 3 weeks ago #72027

• DMD4321
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Well The red Oscar got bold and now eats blood worms from my fingers just like the wild one. I have Oscar #1 in time out still. I feed him very lightly right now while Oscar #2 is eating like a pig. Hopefully #2 is getting a little bit more size on him but it really is amazing how much faster oscar #1 was growing than the others. I just get that feeling that this guy would be just a huge fish at its current growth rate. Anyway he will likely be rehomed very soon.
My tanks:
65B - Hairy Puffer x1
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds