Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can you look at this

Can you look at this 8 months 2 weeks ago #71864

• 4Real
  • Poecilia reticulata
Can't believe it's been 3 years since I posted. Life can get in the way of keeping an online Present. My apologies for my absent, but I'm glad you guys are still here.

My Os are all grown up. 3 Males ranging 10-12 inches in size. Their tankmates are Polleni, frontosa, Jack Dempsey, Plecos, Pictus catfish, Chocolate cichlids, and a female flower horn, and 4-5 AF cichlids that were getting beat up in my AF tank - Fish size ranges 4-5 in. for Africans, the others 8-13 inch, with the pleco being 13, Jack is shortest at about 8 inch

The Os do ok together except today I noticed my White O has a crooked mouth with tangling pieces of flesh inside his mouth. White O is the biggest at 12 inc, but there's a Tiger close to his size that challenges him on a regular. But it is the the white O that is the bully. I would like to know if its an injury or a disease. I tried uploading to the gallery but the pics didn't take. Is there something special instructions in uploading pics, or can somebody direct me to another place to post the pics?

Actually my photos did take.

www.oscarfish.com/photo-gallery/?g2_itemId=30122
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can you look at this 8 months 2 weeks ago #71867

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 495
We are unable to see the picture. Usually you have to upload then to a host website like Imgur.com and then link the image to our website.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Real

Can you look at this 8 months 2 weeks ago #71870

• 4Real
  • Poecilia reticulata
Better links for pics

imgur.com/xORZ4rK

imgur.com/s6LKdxc

Can you look at this 8 months 2 weeks ago #71871

• 4Real
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thanks Bro, your assistance was greatly appreciated. I'm use that signature. That's what up..

Can you look at this 8 months 2 weeks ago #71872

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 219
That is an injury from fighting, but unlikely caused by another Oscar. Oscar has no teeth up front. Polleni or JD have done the damage. Risk here is an infection setting in. Which leads to the question... what are water parameters? Tank size? You have stock that would overpower 300gals of water.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Can you look at this 8 months 2 weeks ago #71873

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
Well it looks like his law is at least dislocated or worse maybe broken.

The fish need to be separated for a possible treatment and healing.

Can he still close and open his mouth? This is important and will choose about his future. If he can't open it he will maybe starve to death and if he can't close the mouth anymore and his lower jaw is to badly damaged it is possible that the jaw will get inflamed and maybe die off.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Can you look at this 8 months 2 weeks ago #71876

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 60
My money is on the Polleni doing the damage.

They come from the Rift lakes in East Africa and it's not something I would mix with Frontosas, oscars or jack Dempsey.

Probably not something you would want to hear. I would keep an eye on him, but it wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be him. They can be quite aggressive when they want to be
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 yellow top finned Lawanda
2 male cobues, 1 cobue fry
6 female cobue peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis
1 electric yellow

5.5 Gallon
red finned, blue and white marbled Delta tail betta

30 gallon
3 males, 4 females

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Can you look at this 8 months 1 week ago #71880

• 4Real
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thank you for your input, will try and answer all questions: The Polleni do not interact at all with the Os - the two fight amongst themselves when one enters into the other territory. The O damage came from fighting the other tiger O who will refuse to be bullied. The white O usually starts the fight. The white O is definitely the Alpha/straight Thug of the tank. I'm aware of the problems with different types mixing, but that hasn't been a problem of late. The 300gal is enough to keep the various types out of each others way. Same Family fight mostly each other. The Africans that I put in this tanks are being stressed in my 125 African tank, and I place them in the 300 to get a breather, and grow a little. I treat my tanks with 3 day cycles of Melafix when I see scale damage which I believe comes from interactions with my plecos, or decor. I have a 10 in Royal Pleco that will charge anybody that interferes with his 4x3ft Mopani wood. The Polleni will move the Frontosas, and Jack over every now and then, but nothing serious. I believe the 300g makes enough room for everybody.

Tank been up 3yrs +, water parameters as far as anomina, nitrite and nitrite 0, Kh 50-100 - GH 200-400 ppm

Tankmates: 1 Frontosas 9in, 3 Oscars Tigers 10-11in White O 12in, 2 Polleni (8-9in), 1 Jack 7in, 6 plecos 8-13, Royal Pleco 10 in (heaviest), 1 passive Flowerhorn (currently in hospital tank being treated for bloat), 5 Africans 5-6in (temporary because they needed the break)

I'm currently treating the entire tank with melafix, and the bottom of his mouth seems to be healing. He still eats and opens his mouth wide when somebody enters his territory, and still starting the fights.

Thank you and I appreciate all your assistance.

Can you look at this 8 months 1 week ago #71881

• 4Real
  • Poecilia reticulata
BTW: He appears to be healing - under his mouth is not black anymore, looks better now

imgur.com/6ZZ36WP
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds