Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Oscar won’t come up to eat

Oscar won’t come up to eat 1 week 6 days ago #71438

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 205
You have to keep in mind that Oscars mouth is 4-5x the size of their throat. They are generally piggish, but at the same time lazy eaters if that makes sense. They may not put in the effort to get bigger pieces down. Make them small. Better to eat4-5 small bits than spit out 1 bigger one
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oscar won’t come up to eat 1 week 5 days ago #71446

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 117
madhatter6907 wrote:
...I didn’t realize they would eat fruit! That’s awesome!

I also feed blue & raspberries.

Oscar won’t come up to eat 1 week 5 days ago #71447

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
madhatter6907 wrote:
So how do you feed them oranges? Just put a while slice in and let him nibble? Or break it up into little pieces?

For your size Oscar, if I were feeding a clementine orange, I'd try feeding a 1/4 slice...maybe even a 1/2 slice but 1/2 slice may be a little too large. The thing with oranges, mine seems to handle them fairly easily since they are very pliable whereas cod, tilapia, shrimp etc... require your portion sizes to be a bit more sensible. You know how it is, you could handle stuffing half an orange in your mouth much easier than a similarly sized piece of steak.

I also try to get as much of the white stringy stuff off of the orange slice before I put it in the tank. Doing so may be a bit over the top but that stuff doesn't seem like he'd process that stuff very well.

Oscar won’t come up to eat 1 week 5 days ago #71448

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
toom wrote:
The fish do not really care for the object itself bit for the cover it provide....

Adding on to toom's advice, I had a lot of cover for mine, that he seemed to use regularly, until he was ~6-9 months old. He didn't seem to use it much around that time. I eventually took all the cover out of his tank. I've left a large rock that I pulled out of the local river in his tank but I've never seen him use it as cover.

Oscar won’t come up to eat 1 week 2 hours ago #71477

• madhatter6907
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
Sorry, about no replies, I have been crazy busy lately! Anyways just to update, our Oscar is doing awesome! We started feeding new life spectrum pellets and he goes crazy for them! The trick is, he won’t eat pellets off the surface and he won’t eat off the bottom, so we have to strategically drop the pellets so they sink in his field of vision, and then he attacks like a shark whil they are on the way down. The NLS pellets are really small but they work for him really well. Now that we have the pellet situation under control, we can start to add in some variety
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds