Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: High Nitrate

High Nitrate 1 month 5 days ago #71298

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
Mako, just to add to all the good info above. A single oscar in ~50g of water is going to likely require 2 fin-level (80-90%) water changes per week to keep nitrates not to exceed 20ppm.

Leave the fish in the tank. Pump your water out, add your dechlorinator for the FULL volume of your tank and then refill with similar temperature tap water.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants
The administrator has disabled public write access.

High Nitrate 1 month 4 days ago #71299

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 426
It seems you have trouble undrstanding how the nitrogen cicle works, here you should read the articles on the Page.

For Nitrate. Image your fish produce 40 mg/l of No3 in an 60 G and your tap water is 0 mg/l NO3 and you do a 50% once per week.

1 week 40 ppm after 50% WC 20 ppm
2 week 60 ppm after 50% WC 30 ppm
3 week 70 ppm after 50% WC 35 ppm
4 week 75 ppm afrer 50% WC 37,5 ppm

If you now double the tank volume/gallons of water to 120G you would be

1 week 20 ppm after 50% WC 10 ppm
2 week 30 ppm after 50% WC 15 ppm
3 week 35 ppm after 50% WC 17.5 ppm
4 week 37.5 ppm after 50% WC 18,75 ppm

This is the benefit of an bigger tank. The lower Nitrate the more volume of water and trace elements don't make maintaince more easy and stressig free for you but also increase the long term health of your fish.

Of course the more costs are a point but on used space a 120 G with 4 x 2 x 2 is not so much different as an 65G with 4 feet.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

High Nitrate 1 month 4 days ago #71300

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 117
As toom demonstrated for you above, removing nitrate is essentially a function of math. As Ernie indicated earlier in the discussion, the primary way to remove nitrate from your tank is water changes.

A trick someone on this forum clued me in on was to do multiple water changes during a single session. For example, assume your tank is 100% full and is at 40ppm nitrate. Also assume your tap water has 0ppm nitrate.
  • Perform 80% water change. You now have 8ppm nitrate.
  • Fill the tank to 40-50% capacity. Do another 80% water change. You now have 1.6ppm nitrate.
  • Fill the tank to 40-50% capacity. Do another 80% water change. You now have .32ppm nitrate.
  • Etc....

There is a lot of good information on this site about nitrate management. If you're interested in the effects of nitrate on fish, why less than 20ppm, etc...., there is no other site on the Internet that has better information for fish keepers than this one. If you're having trouble finding the articles, we can help you find what you're looking for.

High Nitrate 1 month 3 days ago #71307

• Mako55
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thanks for all the info and help. I would like a bigger tank but may be hard to sell to the wife. But if I can just do more and bigger water changes with the 54 gallon I'll be ok with that. Gonna try and butter-up the wife tho for a bigger tank. Thanks again.

High Nitrate 1 month 3 days ago #71308

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 85
A wise man once said it is far easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission......good luck with the new tank.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

High Nitrate 1 month 2 days ago #71310

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 426
I also had once a Partner that did not showed any kind of sympaty to our hobby, she really disliked it.
My biggest tank in the house was an 160G and i wanted to upgrade to 220G.
She said of course no, no 220G in the living room. I said of course as you want my darling, I will do as you want "if you would start to pay your fair share of the rent but we both know this will not happen soon."
Than I switched the 160 for a 220. Well of course this Realation was over soon and is maybe not a option for anybody :whistle:
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

High Nitrate 1 month 2 days ago #71312

• tom
  • Thank you received: 234
Ernie14 wrote:
A wise man once said it is far easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission......good luck with the new tank.

I subscribe to this school of thought for the most part.
:thumbs:
6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Rotkeil Severum 10 Silver Dollars
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds