Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oscar not eatting!!

Oscar not eatting!! 1 month 5 days ago #71108

• LooneyBadger
  • Poecilia reticulata
Sorry for the long post but I felt like you needed background

So I've had these Oscars (one bronze one albino) for 2 1/2 years now. They were in a 55 gallon tank with a fluval 305 and aquaclear 70, doing great; but I knew they needed a bigger tank. Well, a little over week ago, my husband surprised me with a 125 gallon tank. I used all of their previous media as well as a biological booster. I'm aware the tank wasn't fully cycled but ammonia wasn't high or getting any where near what happened to their 55 gallon six months ago (had a cycle crash). So impatient me :( I moved them into the 125 gallon. While I'm aware I moved them to quickly, the parameters were almost spot on for their 55 gallon. For about a day they did alright, until I woke up the 4th morning and the bronze was not in good shape. I'm thinking he got spooked in the middle of the night and somehow damaged his head, he was laying on one side and wasn't moving much. While all of this was going on the albino would lay with him, get up and swim regularly then go back and lay on his side by the bronze again. I preformed water changes because people were saying the ammonia was killing them, did almost 75%. Sadly, the bronze passed quickly it took about an hour after I found him. The albino who was acting normal started laying on his side more after I took the deceased one out, he completely stopped moving and lost interest in living it seemed. As a last resort I scooped him up and placed him back in his 55 gallon alone. He's swimming and seems happier but WONT eat. I've offered him all of his favorites and it's like he is depressed. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen? I almost want to leave him in the 55 gal by himself now. I'm at a complete loss and terrified i'm going to lose the albino.....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oscar not eatting!! 1 month 5 days ago #71109

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 83
Sorry to hear about your Oscar, couple of things might help us understand what is going on.
Can you give us your current water results, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for both tanks?
Are there any tank mates in either tank?
When you swapped media was it possible that it dried out?
Which filters are you running on each tank or are both on the 55g ?
Not too fussed about Oscar not eating they can go weeks without food. Also a solo Oscar in a 125g would be perfect so we probably need to assist you in getting your remaining Oscar back into the bigger tank.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Oscar not eatting!! 1 month 5 days ago #71111

• LooneyBadger
  • Poecilia reticulata
The 125 has just one fluval fx4 right now and a large airstone. Everything is still running on the 55

The 125 was am: 0.25 nitrite:0 nitrate:0.25 before i did a water change. There 55 they were in had am:0.25 nitrite:0 nitrate:0.25. I preformed water changes yesterday on both tanks. I always add prime to my tanks, but even in my established 55 there is always some ammonia.

Oscar not eatting!! 1 month 5 days ago #71112

• LooneyBadger
  • Poecilia reticulata
LooneyBadger wrote:
The 125 has just one fluval fx4 right now and a large airstone. Everything is still running on the 55

The 125 was am: 0.25 nitrite:0 nitrate:0.25 before i did a water change. There 55 they were in had am:0.25 nitrite:0 nitrate:0.25. I preformed water changes yesterday on both tanks. I always add prime to my tanks, but even in my established 55 there is always some ammonia.

Sorry nitrate was 5.0

Oscar not eatting!! 1 month 4 days ago #71113

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 83
Is the fx4 new and what media are you using in it? If this was my setup I would move your other 2 filters, fluval 306 and ac70 onto the 125g and rehome your Oscar into this tank. You can never be over filtered with an Oscar tank.
Are you using a liquid test kit to test your water parameters? A little confused as to why your 125g has an ammonia reading if it has no fish in it?
With all 3 filters running and hopefully some beneficial bacteria still surviving you should get in top of your cycling issue quickly.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Oscar not eatting!! 1 month 4 days ago #71114

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 413
LooneyBadger wrote:
LooneyBadger wrote:

Sorry nitrate was 5.0

I am Not sure if higher aquatic life could survive a worth of 5.0 NO3 regardless of whether Liter or US Gallon
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Oscar not eatting!! 1 month 3 days ago #71115

• beretta96
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 112
@ LooneyBadger

:welcome:

Ernie is giving you great advice. As an FYI....I've got a single adult Oscar in a 125g. It's filtered with two Eheim 2217's and two AC110's. The AC110's have no biomedia or carbon in them....double sponges in each. I clean all four sponges every two weeks and probably should do it weekly due to how much crud I squeeze out of them. The cannisters get cleaned every four months and could stand it every 2-3. Ernie isn't exaggerating by much when he says you can't over filter an Oscar tank.

Once you get that 125g settled in and stabilized, it will be a great home for your Oscar.....that's exciting stuff for you!!

Oscar not eatting!! 4 weeks 22 hours ago #71140

• Scamp
  • Poecilia reticulata
Hi Looneybadger
My 3 oscars took 13 days before they started eating, after introduced to their new tank. Fortunately I read on hear first they can be moody, so I just added a couple pellets a day, and removed if not eaten. Careful not to add fresh or frozen food, as don’t want them getting fussy for this only...finally they started eating on day 13. Patience and they will start, good luck.

Oscar not eatting!! 3 weeks 5 days ago #71149

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 180
i have moved oscar a few tmes
55 to a 125..a 125 to a 180
had to move 180 and he was in bucket for a few hours

all three times he went almost 2 weeks eating nothing

sometimes a try adding new additions to self made food and he pouts for days -no eating

may be just the move
180 oscar/JD/pleco
75 peacock and eB
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)- RIP 6/11/17
2 english bulldogs
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores-

Oscar not eatting!! 3 weeks 5 days ago #71151

• beretta96
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 112
Rob167 wrote:
...sometimes a try adding new additions to self made food and he pouts for days -no eating...

So your Oscar can tell when you change ingredients of his gel food? I'm not sure if I'd be impressed or irritated if mine were like that!! :)
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds