Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Missing Oscar

Missing Oscar 1 week 2 days ago #71090

• Jordan99
  • Poecilia reticulata
I decided to get rid off my African cichlids and start an Oscar tank. I had a friend take the Africans and kept a 7 inch Leperonis(sp) this was about 3 weeks ago
Stats
180 gal
0 amonia
0 nitrites
20 ppm nitrates

I added the following to the leperonis
2 tiger oscars 4 inches
6 silver dollars 2 to 3 inches
5 clown loaches about 3 inches each
2 blood parrots 2 inches

Last week one silver dollar commuted suicide so 5 now

Two nights ago I went to feed and only saw one Oscar. Usually both are front and center. Thought maybe he was hiding for what ever reason. Next day nothing
Just did a water change and moved all decor. He has vanished without a trace....
I looked all around in case he jumped
Im stumped
Also remaining Oscar seems very standoffish now
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Missing Oscar 1 week 2 days ago #71094

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 56
:welcome:

180 gallons is large enough for the clown loaches and that's it. they can reach up to 12 to 16 inches in size. when they get too large you will have to reconsider your stocking.

you are way too over stocked.

I would keep the 1 Oscar, 5 SD, 2 blood parrots and rehome everything else.

For long term the oscars will either get along or one of them will decide he suddenly doesn't like tank mates as they mature somewhere between 16 to 24 months. I would have a backup plan just in case it doesn't work out. When I say don't like tank mates, there is no pecking order like African Cichlids, the Oscar can and is capable of killing all his tank mates if he decides he doesn't like tank mates. A backup plan is crucial.

As for the leperonis, Oscars grow fast and eat anything that fits in their mouth. If the leperonis is not fast growing, I would suggest to rehome him as soon as possible. If it were me I wouldn't keep the leperonis with an oscar. You take the chance that once the Oscar reaches 10 inches in five months from now that the leperonis will turn into a midnight snack one night....

Or maybe thats why the Oscar is missing? He killed off the other Oscar and the clown loaches ate him. You have some decisions to make. If the one Oscar is showing aggression now, it's only going to get worse as he gets older. He is capable of slowly killing off everything else in the tank.

Welcome to the world of Oscars.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Missing Oscar 1 week 2 days ago #71096

• Jordan99
  • Poecilia reticulata
I've seen no aggression at all so far. The leperonis is 7 inches . don't see the other Oscar this am. Maybe hiding. there's nothing large enough to be attacking except the leperonis and he's very docile
I know the stocking lever is high but I have access to another 180 when everyone grows...at that point ill probably put Oscars by them selves. Could the silver dollars be ganging up?

Missing Oscar 1 week 2 days ago #71098

• Jordan99
  • Poecilia reticulata
I've seen no aggression at all so far. The leperonis is 7 inches . don't see the other Oscar this am. Maybe hiding. there's nothing large enough to be attacking except the leperonis and he's very docile
I know the stocking lever is high but I have access to another 180 when everyone grows...

Missing Oscar 1 week 1 day ago #71100

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 56
Also remaining Oscar seems very standoffish now

This is an aggression trait. Every time an Oscar has been standoffish and the other has disappeared and one fish is dead, this is an early indicator that your remaining Oscar is intolerant of tank mates. The aggression will get worse as he gets older.

I would be more worried about the leperonis. An Oscar has been known to kill what it can't eat, this is why you will either see two in one tank or an Oscar by himself. They can get completely aggressive towards tank mates and will need to be kept by himself.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Missing Oscar 1 week 1 day ago #71101

• santamonicahelp
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
It's very peculiar that the oscar would just disappear like that. I'm sorry that happened. :(

Do let us know if you find any clues.

-Kamran
My name is ?? I work for SantaMonica
Research Studies
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds