Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New to Oscars

New to Oscars 1 month 6 days ago #70794

I just bought a tiger oscar today. He's already fully grown I believe about 10 inches I would say. I have him in a 75 gallon. I have two HOB. Both fluval aquaclear 70s they are rated at 300 gph each. Is that enough filtration. I have no tankmates but wouldn't mind adding one or two. All my water peramiters are good. I could bring my nitrates down a little. Also, he's scared of me. When I'm away he's out an about but when I get near he hides and lays on his side. I read it is common but I'm worried he's always going to do that. Any advice or tips would be great! I'm so excited about this guy!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New to Oscars 1 month 6 days ago #70795

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
The filtration could be beefed up a bit. Usually 10X turn over is what you're aiming for. So if you have a 75G, you're aiming for 7,500GPH total. The more the merrier. You need lots of Bio-media to process their waste, Canister filters are ideal for this because of the amount of media they hold, they give more options for media, and the turn over rates are great. Oscars are pooping machines.

With a 75G you're maxed out with that oscar, a 75G is minimum size for an oscar. Some people say 55G for one oscar, but in my experience it is way too small for a full grow Oscar.. Adding anything else will cause you to be overstocked, and water parameters will be very difficult to maintain.

We suggest liquid test kits here, not sure what type you're using. Strips can be inaccurate. Do you mind posting the exact results you got from your test? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH would be appreciate.

I feel like when you rescue adult Oscars, they normally take a bit longer to adjust to you. At least in my opinion, and experience.
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,

New to Oscars 1 month 6 days ago #70796

• toom
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 406
MarshyMellowFluff wrote:
The filtration could be beefed up a bit. Usually 10X turn over is what you're aiming for. So if you have a 75G, you're aiming for 7,500GPH total. The more the merrier. You need lots of Bio-media to process their waste, Canister filters are ideal for this because of the amount of media they hold, they give more options for media, and the turn over rates are great. Oscars are pooping machines.

With a 75G you're maxed out with that oscar, a 75G is minimum size for an oscar. Some people say 55G for one oscar, but in my experience it is way too small for a full grow Oscar.. Adding anything else will cause you to be overstocked, and water parameters will be very difficult to maintain.

We suggest liquid test kits here, not sure what type you're using. Strips can be inaccurate. Do you mind posting the exact results you got from your test? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH would be appreciate.

I feel like when you rescue adult Oscars, they normally take a bit longer to adjust to you. At least in my opinion, and experience.

+1

Also of possible close his Tank to all sides (Front Not included) and put something in the Tank where the fish can hide and get Cover. This will make him way more secure. Adjusting to a new Setup after an Transport and getting used to a new human can take some time. But Oscars hearts can be winned with food. If He is adult let him a 5 to 7 day without food what is nothing to worry about, than start some kind of Ritual like tipping 3 times the glass or put your finger inside the tank and offer some food. Only a small about of 2 to 3 pellets. If you don't spook him off he will trust you and eat like a pig in a 2 to 4 weeks.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

New to Oscars 1 month 5 days ago #70798

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 110
:welcome:

Supplementing what Marshy said about filtering, I would get a cannister with the primary purpose of providing biological filtration (eg. managing the nitrogen cycle). I'd get a second HOB filter, larger than your AC70, to primarily handle mechanical filtration. There are many filter brands & models that will suffice. If I were putting an Oscar in a 75g, I'd use an Eheim 2215 and an AC110.

I strongly suggest not putting any other fish w/ your new Oscar. It's hard telling what toxins yours has been exposed to prior to your adoption but as a general rule, the long term health of your Oscar is optimized when kept in a fully cycled tank w/ nitrates consistently kept below 20ppm. As Marshy suggested, get a liquid water test kit, most on here use API, to test your water. If you post your resukts we can give you guidance based on our collective experience.

Keep asking questions....lots of good folks here willing to help you keep that new fish of yours healthy.

By the way, pictures are awesome!! ;)

New to Oscars 1 month 4 days ago #70799

• toom
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Ämmm guys, i think there is a zero to much. 7500 gallons of filtration on an 75G tank? I know you all like this kind of overreacting but holy moly, not even the dark lord of overfiltration Kmuda himself has this. 7500G this is worth 13 Fluval FX6 cans using 0.55 KW :woohoo:

New to Oscars 1 month 4 days ago #70806

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
@toom- Maybe my math is... a lot off. :laughcry:
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,

New to Oscars 1 month 4 days ago #70808

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 54
In my 65 gallon I aimed for 7 times over in an hour. I thought that was considered a good goal to reach ten years ago. Did someone change their mind :p
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

New to Oscars 1 month 3 days ago #70817

• toom
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, we know that biological Filtration don't run parallel with crazy high filtration rates.

I for example go way lower. Like 1.5 to may max 5 tank volumes per hour depending on what kind of filtration is used.
But circulation is another point.
My 220 just runs right now on an single 1200 XL doing 1200 Liters per hour. Tank may keep lose to 700 Liters but I have around 11000 Liters per hour of circulation. A 6500 and a 4500 Wavemaker. Turning the tank like 15 times per hour and also keeps particles floating around till the get near the Filtration.

The principielle is the same as with stronger filtration over a pump itself.
I put the 4500 Lph Wavemaker in the direction so that he feed the filter inline.
The difference is a 4500 Lph Wavemaker needs 7 Watt a 4500 Liter pump for a sump or an canister need 10 times as much still the outcome is like 80% the same on both methodes
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds