Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sick Tiger Oscar

Sick Tiger Oscar 3 months 3 days ago #70809

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 57
If you have high nitrates out of the tap water, you may still want to consider something to help reduce them. I heard water sprite grows like crazy in high nitrates. You may want to consider to do a little gardening ;)
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sick Tiger Oscar 3 months 3 days ago #70810

• Lori919
  • Poecilia reticulata
So it's being at the top a good thing? My Oscar (I took him away from my brother) was put in a tank where a catfish lived. Two weeks after he starts being at the bottom and showing bad signs of illness (nitrate poisoning). I did a 80% water check and have been monitoring the water. He was at the bottom, now at the top floating sideways, slow breathing... swims and then goes back to laying the same way... and to top it all off he came down with ick... :( I'm hoping he will survive this...

Sick Tiger Oscar 3 months 3 days ago #70811

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 57
sorry to hear that Lorie, an Oscar laying on his side is not a good thing and is a sure sign of high nitrate poisoning.

Ick guard by tetra if you can find it. Raise the temp to 86f as that will speed up the cycle of the ick. Aquarium salt helps promotes healing and stress guard by seachem.

1 tablespoon per 10 gallons.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Sick Tiger Oscar 3 months 3 days ago #70813

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 413
blackcougar wrote:
If you have high nitrates out of the tap water, you may still want to consider something to help reduce them. I heard water sprite grows like crazy in high nitrates. You may want to consider to do a little gardening ;)

The result is minimal, its like trying to stop an cargo train with an air rifle.
The only way is beides RO and other resin filtration the Denitrator filter with selective filtration.

Aqua Pondics may could keep No3 in check but if you don't have an green house that allows plants to grow and you also need to add more light for plant growth it makes it ineffective.
Also all the rooting plants in an more open tank shoots up air hummity, keeps your heating bill up, lowers air quality and make you feel like you are in the Rain forest and you will get molt.
It's way better to deal with it on filtration.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Sick Tiger Oscar 3 months 15 hours ago #70824

• Lori919
  • Poecilia reticulata
He seems to be doing better, finally staying in one corner of the aquarium but he's upright. His tail seems to bend in a little but now he's eating (very little to keep his water in check), water seems to be staying low in nitrates and ammonia. I tried the ap ick medicine (only one I could find), did the two doses as now I have to do the new filter and 25% water change. I really hope he pulls through this one. He's a big guy and hopefully that helps him. Thank you for your advice :). My brother was feeding him loach food that he has fed the catfish and there was hot dog debris at the bottom of the tank... such a shame. Why does someone rescue a fish only to neglect him like that??

Thanks

Sick Tiger Oscar 3 months 3 hours ago #70828

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
@Lori919 - You should create your own post on here under "Oscar Fish Care". You will get more replies specific to your situation. Every fish and every situation may be a little different, or drastically different. My issue could be very different from yours.. I'd love to get to know more about your tank, like how many gallons it is, how often you change the water, what he eats on a regular basis, etc. These things will help us understand what is going on with your aquarium and we can offer better advice.

The majority of people on this forum are intelligent and experienced fish keepers. I encourage you to post a topic to get more help.

Read this before posting so you know what information we're looking for: oscarfish.com/forum/oscar-fish-care/199-...ast-please-read.html
And, you can post your topic here: oscarfish.com/forum/oscar-fish-care.html
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds