Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Are Oscar stories exaggerated sometimes?

Are Oscar stories exaggerated sometimes? 2 months 6 days ago #70067

• stchamber11
  • Poecilia reticulata
I am brand new here, but have been reading this site for months. After many many years of this hobby, I had the opportunity to get my first Oscar. I had only 2 big silver dollars in my tank, and a cat fish who sleeps all day. I read so much about Oscars in the past months, being aggressive, don't mix with other fish, they attack other fish and well, we all know the stories. So I got a female oscar, was 2.8 inches in January. Today 6". I have added some fish, one at a time over the months. She is the king of the tank, but does not really bother the other fish. Actually, the only one who cause a day of probelms, is the Electric Blue Acara...nipping at the new geophagus. The fish all get along, some follow the Oscar as if she is the "mother". Maybe I got one that is not to aggressive, but maybe this fish is not as bad as some say. Anyhow, she is my favorite!
55 gallon (well aware of tank increase with fish size) Oscar, 4 Silver Dollars, Red Spotted Severum, Geophagus, Electric Blue Acara, plec and Spotted Raphael Catfish over 15 years old. They all get along!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Are Oscar stories exaggerated sometimes? 2 months 6 days ago #70068

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 897
Every Oscar is different. Some are total pansies, others are the spawn of Satan himself. And they can change from one to the other, especially as they age.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Are Oscar stories exaggerated sometimes? 2 months 6 days ago #70069

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 104
:welcome:

Tell us about your tank. I've had my Oscar for 1.5 years. Got him (I'm guessing it's a him) ~1.5 yrs ago. His personality has definitely changed. In his younger days was laid back,easy going - even playful many times. He has progressively become angrier. He's not yet the spawn of Satan but definitely a much more agitated soul than when he was a younger lad.

He used to seemingly give off the vibe of wanting to interact with you. Now he doesn't have much use for anyone and, at best, tolerates you if you're working in, or sitting near, his tank. He even snapped at me once a few weeks ago while doing a water change - which he's experienced dozens of times. I put his food in the wrong side of the tank a few days ago and he literally threw a little fit...was splashing all over the place, mouth wide open trying to barrel through the glass at me until he caught a glimpse of his food floating by - buttmunch!!

Are Oscar stories exaggerated sometimes? 2 months 6 days ago #70071

• Ernie14
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 75
As said depends on the individual Oscar. I have what I believe to be two females without the slightest bit of aggression, very placid fish. A few years ago I had a couple of baby lutinos and their only mission was to seek and destroy.
We as fishkeepers have to give our Oscars the best possible conditions if we wish for them to be healthy and have a long life. Most times that will mean they will be the only fish in a tank, mixing them with other fish is usually destined to fail.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Are Oscar stories exaggerated sometimes? 2 months 5 days ago #70072

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 399
I know Oscars as very friendly but always hungry Cichlid but i observed that they depend to become more aggressive in small tanks and in more open decorated ones too, self reflection also can cause problems.

Bad exp was only with wild caughts that can be like said very different to the commen Oscar we know. It seems especially as Juvis wild Astronotus don't like to interact with species mates what change until they become 1 to 1.5 years in age and settle down alot.

What can help to reduce aggressive behavior is

- bigger tank
- more decoration
- decreasing temp in the 23/24 degrees Celsius region
- decreasing the protein on food if it is not needed.

It's at least worth a try but of course you also just could have bad luck and get an fish with a**hole personality.

I had this for example alot with small cichlids from central america or from time to time with very dominant Snakeheads that did not just had there regulary show fight with a bit of chasing and fin nipping but going very quick for a kill.
In the Case of cichlids the males are trouble makers for Channas the female that mostly grow bigger is more often the nasty one.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Are Oscar stories exaggerated sometimes? 2 months 5 days ago #70073

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 53
Each personality per Oscar varies. One could be interactive with you while another could be super aggressive and don't want anything to do with you.

My last Oscar killed the catfish after one month of being in the tank with him and every time Anakin my cat at the time stuck his nose up against the glass, Drifter attempted to attack him through the glass. They can be very territorial when they want to be.

When your Oscar reaches maturity in the next sixteen months, he may not tolerate his tank mates and you'll be forced to do something.

What size is your tank?
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Are Oscar stories exaggerated sometimes? 2 months 4 days ago #70079

• stchamber11
  • Poecilia reticulata
All of you have some interesting comments. I do notice, after I added a few more fish, that Miss. Oscar (we call her that, as our car is also called Oscar) seemed to get even more complacent. Being a messy eater, when I give the late afternoon treat, (no pets go hungry in our house even if I have to do more cleaning!) I watch most other fish start to follow her through the tank. They all know in moments she will start shooting food out her gills. Miss. Oscar does not seem to mind at all, and is almost acting "motherly" to the rest.

I was hesitant to add any fish other than my Silvers, but one at a time noticed no problems. Everyone gets along in the tank. I have one hiding spot but no one really claims it, just a few go in there now and then.

But, Miss. Oscar is surely the queen of the tank. She will chase the silvers for a second or others, as she slowly swims around now and then.

Mostly, I have to say she is just hungry. When I come into the dinning room, she is going nuts, wiggling back and forth looking for food. I hoe I am not starving her!!

Now I know I will have people saying to many fish, they are going to grow bigger etc etc. and I know this, doing fish for many years. I have a whisper 60, using non tetra pads, cleaned in tank water often. My other filter is a HOT magnum, that I have filled with ceramic and the blue wrap around filter material, again cleaned often in tank water.

I vacuum every night, yes, every night, (I clean the cat box every night) with the best invention every for an aquarium, the Ehiem Vacuum. Water changes via draining through the substrate every week without fail. Water that is not treated first never hits aquarium, nothing is cleaned except in tank water. I use no charcoal.
55 gallon (well aware of tank increase with fish size) Oscar, 4 Silver Dollars, Red Spotted Severum, Geophagus, Electric Blue Acara, plec and Spotted Raphael Catfish over 15 years old. They all get along!

Are Oscar stories exaggerated sometimes? 2 months 4 days ago #70080

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 53
If your sig is correct about them being in a 55 gallon.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, a 55 gallon is enough room for one Oscar. I'm not going to sugar coat this either, you're on a road for problems in the long run. The Oscar will be 12 to 14 inches in three to five years which is average size , some have reached as big as 16 to 18 inches and will want that tank to herself within the next four to eight months.

That Oscar will become intolerant to tank mates as she gets closer to being full grown. It may work in the short run, but in the long run. It won't work. You need a 150 gallon minimum if you want to keep your current stock to handle territory issues and bioload. Bigger depends on the type of pleco you have. An Oscar matures in just under 2 years. They can be nice one minute and turn into satan spawn as they mature.

You have some decisions to make.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tom

Are Oscar stories exaggerated sometimes? 2 months 4 days ago #70083

• LovesLC
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
Your Oscar is still very young. She may end up being very tolerant of tankmates, some are. But it is a bit soon to tell.
I thought I was home free with my 2 Oscars because they got along great and they were a little over 6 inches.
But as they matured the aggression started and after rearranging decor and eventually dividers did not stop the aggression, I finally put them in their very own separate tanks.
Now that they are around 14-15 months old I see them challenge each other and make aggressive displays to each other because they can see each other from their tanks. And I believe one to be male and one female.
Not that it is written in stone that yours will be territorial toward the other fish...just that there is a big difference between how younger Oscars behave and how they behave once they have reached a certain level of maturity.

Are Oscar stories exaggerated sometimes? 1 month 2 weeks ago #70233

• tonytheboss1
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
:cop: Hate to rain on your parade but experience has taught me several things. 1) He/She will change in temperament w/ age. 2) 55g is way to small for all your lot to thrive. 3) Large Cichlids tend to be tolerant of others their size & larger as long as there is enough food & territory to share.
That said, you're probably gonna need 150g or better for success & still no guarantee. "T"
125g Tenecor - Cardinal,& Pristella Tetra - GBR's - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C110, MaxiJet 1200, 2 Eheim 300w Heater/Controller, 29g AGA-sick
"Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds