Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Should I switch them?

Should I switch them? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69957

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
I have a 125G (60x18x24) housing two 6" oscars, separated by a divider. They've lived like this for 5 years, and seem to be fine this way. However, being 5 years old, they are both only 6" long. Just barely. On the other hand, I have a large oscar pushing 12" in a 55G (48x12x20). This just doesn't seem fair to me.. He barely ever sits facing the front of the tank because he just doesn't fit.. When he was rescued he was fine, but he has grown since then. I'd love to switch tanks for them because I think it makes more sense, I know 55G is bare minimum for one oscar, but I thought maybe because I have two dwarf oscars that will not exceed 6" it might be ok.. I understand this is not ideal, but I'm just trying to make things better for Big Fatty. What do you guys think, could my two 6" dwarf oscars share the 55g?

Or maybe this is just a stupid question.
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Should I switch them? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69958

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
Those stunted Oscars are likely getting to life's end, and already have only 50g apiece.They are divided because they dont get along? You cant divide a 55 for them, they are already suffering. The big Oscar desperately needs more room, or similar fate will befall it. No point in having 3 damaged fish imo. Make the switch to benefit the big Oscar.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96

Should I switch them? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69959

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
I know I wasn't able to provide the best life for my little oscars and I do realize that.. I made many mistakes with the small oscars being very new to the hobby and not knowing anything, didn't know what a cycle was, and was told by my LFS that 10g was fine for two oscars; I had no clue what I was getting into.. I know that doesn't excuse me or make things better. I just understand that I made many mistakes. I'm sorry.

The two small oscars are divided by egg crate, so the water can still flow without restriction. The lutino was always weaker and that's why they were separated. I later assumed they were both males because of aggression and just kept the divider in.

Talking about the little oscars kinda makes me upset to be honest. They were my first fish.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,

Should I switch them? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69962

• Ernie14
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 82
You obviously care about your fish so making the right decision is going to be hard. I agree with Northstar the big Oscar should be your priority, move him to the 125g. Then the hard decision, one of the small Oscars to go into the 55g and one to be given a new home. That is either a new tank or a new owner.
With your current level of fishkeeping knowledge what would you tell a new fishkeeper if they asked the same question you have asked?
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Should I switch them? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69965

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 56
I agree with Ernie. I would keep one of the two small stunted Oscars in the 55 gallon and rehome the other one. And place the big Oscar into the 125 gallon.

I made that mistake with a gold fish when I ten. Didn't know better, kept him for five years in a five gallon.

Looking back I really did not think that one through.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Should I switch them? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69966

• toom
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 410
It is very likley that the big guy gets along with one of the smaller ones. It is worth a try.
Of course it can end bad but I had several very large Oscars and they are very acaptable against species mates that are A not be able to be eaten and B to small to be seen as a challager for territory and this is given by the fact that one is twice as big and most likley 10 times as heavy as the other one.
Still give the small one a chance to hide from the big one like a cave or a clay pipe that is open on both ends.

I see success in this by 75/80%. Than you have still one tank left for the remaining drawf if you wanna still keep him.

Rehoming is still an Option but seen realistic, i would not be willing to get such an fish even for free.
Of course it's mean but you know what i mean, Oscars are expensive fish to maintain from water, electricity, food so why waste it on an exemplar that is lost anyways?
No diskredit to you marshy but for an new owner it would only be an sanctuary acquisition by compassion and such an person had to be found in the first place and fish don't have on this topic as much luck as cats and dogs.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Should I switch them? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69968

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
What if Big Fatty and the little guy are both males? Wouldn't instinct kick in and tell him to get rid of the other oscar? And I'm not sure what one of the dwarfs I would try.. I'm interested in your idea Toom, but trying this scares me a little because I feel like the small ones could potentially fit in big fatty's mouth.

A little into big fatty's past:
I rescued him from my LFS, he was in a small aquarium (about 30G?) no heater or filter, just an air stone. He was with a few small feeder fish, he wasn't eating them. When I got him home, he still wouldn't eat, however after salt and medication he started to eat very small pellets. Later he pooped a blue piece of gravel and then he started to eat everything again. I'm not sure if big fatty didn't eat the feeders because he didn't have room to chase them around the 30G aquarium, if didn't have room to eat them because of the blockage, or just didn't care for them.. But Big fatty seems to have a very mild temper. Seeing as he has never bit me when doing water changes or anything, he comes right up to the fresh water coming in almost touching my hand, but he has never bit me. When I feed him, he doesn't jump, and accepts the food nicely. I feel more safe having my hands in his tank being a ~12" oscar, then I do having my hand in with the 6" tiger :lol: I'm always on the look out for the dwarf tiger, he is mean.

A little about the two dwarfs: Lutino, very kind, likes to swim his obstacle course around the decor, swimming the same place over and over and over again. Very adorable little fishy, with lots of personality. Needs to always be fed in his "feeding corner" because he seems to have really bad vision, which has gotten worse over time. Tapping on the glass or dipping my finger in the water can help him find his food. I'm not really sure why, but he is my favorite. The extra care he requires makes me love him more for whatever reason. I think it's cute.
Tiger, is kinda mean, the reason the two needed to be separated. Always keep an eye on him during water changes cause he will nip you hard and break skin if you don't chase him away, and he always comes back. stubborn, wont move out of the way during water changes, not afraid of tube. Will jump when fed, will jump at water droplets collecting on lid. Attacks reflection a lot, especially after a water change or when lights are turned on. I feel like when I think of oscars, I think of a mean eating machine, and my dwarf tiger is an example of what I think of when it comes to "normal" oscars.

I don't take offence to what you said about my fish. I feel that you are right. I do love my fish, but if a stranger were to ask if I wanted a similar one for free, I'd probably say no too..

Should I switch them? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69971

• bloodmourn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 170
I would try and see which of the small ones would get along with the larger one. I think Tarheel said that cichlids that are close to 75% of each other's size tend to show aggression to each other, and anything smaller is ignored. I've also seen this with aggressive cichlids that I have kept over the years.

I would think that a 6" Oscar is too large to even fit in the mouth of a 12" Oscar. I had an 11" Oscar, and there was no way that he could fit a 5" geo in his mouth. The body was too tall.

Should I switch them? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69973

• toom
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 410
My plan would be to redecorate, do an fin level war chance, pull the devider and rehome big fatty into the 125.

If you are lucky you will see in the first couple of hours what will work out.
The male/male thing you hear so often is not always the Case. Male Oscars can get along but it is all about personality. For example two dominant fishes will never work but a dominant and a so called beta male :P can work. On other species of fish it's nothing new that weaker males color themself more dull like females to not get bullied and if the better male dies because of what ever case the hour of the second Division had come.

If you don't wanna try it with all 3 together for a shot time frame i would first try the meaner one for the 125 combination. If he gets mauled what i don't think will happen your favorite fish is still there.
If the little tiger don't work you can than still switch but at best always feed your big Oscar, make a big water change and redecorate your tank at least for a week or so before switch to normal. Also a hiding Spot for the smaller one should be avaible.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Should I switch them? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69974

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
So you think it might be possible? I'm just really nervous, I'd hate to wake up one day and find I'm missing an oscar.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds