Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Resistant hex?

Resistant hex? 7 months 1 week ago #69565

• Cailany
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
For a few months now ive been fighting with my oscar having hole in head . Hes in a 55 gallon, 50% water changes weekly. He had 2 rounds of metronidazole with focus. And he did greatly improve, but still got white spots on and off. So i soaked his food in 3% epson salt and fed for 5 days. No soars for 2-3 weeks. And now hes got another soar, acting and eating fine.
I never saw him poop out a worm on that note.

Other options?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Resistant hex? 7 months 1 week ago #69566

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
I'd up your water changes. I don't believe 50% weekly is enough to control the water quality in a 55G aquarium. A fin level water change weekly (75%+) and possibly a small water change (30%+) half way into week to keep nitrates under control would be helpful. Doing more water changes would likely resolve your problem. HITH is usually caused by poor water quality; so having pristine water is the best medication. Your goal is to keep nitrAtes under 10ppm. Do you have a liquid test kit to test your water, like one from the brand API? The nitrAte bottle #2 must be shaken for several minutes, I hit mine off my leg/palm/table to loosen the particles from the bottom allowing it to properly mix. What do these "sores" look like? Do they look like pits/holes? Pictures would be very helpful if you could provide us with one. It's just that "White spots" is very vague in description, and could be anything from ich to HITH.

Hex is too small for the naked eye to see. It would only be visible under a microscope. If you're seeing worms coming from the butt, you'd have a different issue, not Hex; however that isn't the case.

Here is a link for more information on HITH, if you're interested: www.oscarfish.com/article-home/oscars/67-hith.html
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96

Resistant hex? 7 months 1 week ago #69569

• bloodmourn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 170
Seeing as the epsom salt solution worked briefly for a few weeks, I would look into improving the water conditions and increase the frequency and volume of the water changes, look at water quality as the cause for the return of the HITH.

Resistant hex? 7 months 1 week ago #69573

• Cailany
  • Poecilia reticulata
MarshyMellowFluff wrote:
HITH is usually caused by poor water quality; so having pristine water is the best medication. Your goal is to keep nitrAtes under 10ppm. Do you have a liquid test kit to test your water, like one from the brand API? The nitrAte bottle #2 must be shaken for several minutes, I hit mine off my leg/palm/table to loosen the particles from the bottom allowing it to properly mix. What do these "sores" look like? Do they look like pits/holes? Pictures would be very helpful if you could provide us with one. It's just that "White spots" is very vague in description, and could be anything from ich to HITH.

Definity not ick, white spots/soars that varry in size from 5-15mm. Usually the edge is more white .ill try to get a pic.
As for the or nitrates..... We live on a well and it comes out of the tap at 30ppm. So that's a battle ill never win.

Resistant hex? 7 months 1 week ago #69574

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
With 30ppm tap water, you may never completely heal the fish. Small tank is compounding the problem. Once Oscar contracts hith, the chances of recurrence are very high, and may reappear with nitrate under 20. If you are very dedicated, very attached to the fish, willing to invest more monies, then a tank in the 100g range with a 30ish gal heavily planted sump/refugium would better manage nitrate. There are also de-nitrator filters, but I cant vouch for their effectiveness
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Resistant hex? 7 months 1 week ago #69575

• Cailany
  • Poecilia reticulata
Northstar5 wrote:
With 30ppm tap water, you may never completely heal the fish. Small tank is compounding the problem. Once Oscar contracts hith, the chances of recurrence are very high, and may reappear with nitrate under 20. If you are very dedicated, very attached to the fish, willing to invest more monies, then a tank in the 100g range with a 30ish gal heavily planted sump/refugium would better manage nitrate. There are also de-nitrator filters, but I cant vouch for their effectiveness

I have a 140g he is suppose to go into, but sadly I've had to have to wait and hear about reinforcing the floor first.
Ive added some porthos sometime ago to hopefully help.

These are what I mean by "spots"

Resistant hex? 7 months 1 week ago #69578

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 903
Unless the water quality is brought within acceptable parameters, meds will serve little benefit.

That said, I would not be thinking HITH as much as I would bacterial pitting. Please review the following article:

www.oscarfish.com/healthdisease/117-bact...tting-treatment.html

My experience with HITH is it's normally symmetrical... as in the pitting generally appears in pairs. Nicely circular individual pits would be more consistent with a physical injury (such as would result from an intake tube without a strainer) or bacterial pitting, with physical injury sometimes leading to bacterial pitting.

Nor do I see the "crinkling" of the skin on the forehead that would be an indicator of HITH, which would again, lead to either a reoccuring physical injury or a bacterial issue.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Resistant hex? 7 months 1 week ago #69580

• Cailany
  • Poecilia reticulata
So looks like he recommended salt and baytril. I have access to most antibiotics so I can do that.

He doesnt have anything in his tank to hurt him self on (except the tank himself) and its only been on his head, never body or gill plates.
Nitrates are 20ppm today. Amonia and nitrite 0

Resistant hex? 7 months 1 week ago #69585

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
Odd numbers here. How do you get 20ppm with 30 from the tap? Nitrate builds round the clock, it cant go down from the source. Is it possible you misread the tap water? With a well there are likely fluctuations between seasons. Is it possible you read 30 at a peak time, like spring run off? I would get that 140 going asap. The extra volume for dilution of toxins will help a great deal. As for the floor, the 140 will not exert much more pounds per sq in than the 55. Double the weight yes, but more footprint equals better weight distribution. Put it on an outside load bearing wall, you will be fine. I will presume your dwelling has at least some sort of adequate construction
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Resistant hex? 7 months 1 week ago #69593

• Cailany
  • Poecilia reticulata
Northstar5 wrote:
Odd numbers here. How do you get 20ppm with 30 from the tap? Nitrate builds round the clock, it cant go down from the source. Is it possible you misread the tap water? With a well there are likely fluctuations between seasons. Is it possible you read 30 at a peak time, like spring run off? I would get that 140 going asap. The extra volume for dilution of toxins will help a great deal. As for the floor, the 140 will not exert much more pounds per sq in than the 55. Double the weight yes, but more footprint equals better weight distribution. Put it on an outside load bearing wall, you will be fine. I will presume your dwelling has at least some sort of adequate construction

Ive tested the tap multiple times for the same reason it will go between 20-40ppm. Also have plants in the system to help with nitrates.

Also I wont bet anything on my floor. You can see ripples and major dibs in the floor. Old farm house. Id love to set up the 140, believe me. Cant wait to go to a sump.
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds