Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What is wrong with my oscar. Need help.

What is wrong with my oscar. Need help. 4 months 2 weeks ago #69515

• illbethejudge
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi i am new to the forum!
I've been keeping fish for a long time but i have zero experience with cichlids.
I rescued a huge oscar like 12" from a friend's 30 gallon tank with water that looked like mud, my friend got the fish from his cousin that had him in a 120 gallon tank but didn't want him anymore.
So i have had the fish for 6 months he eats like a pig and looks healthy he is in a 90 gallon tank with a common pleco, tank has 2 emperor 400 filters and i do 35% weekly water changes.
Water parameters are perfect and he eats high quality cichlid food and crikets once a week.
2 dias ago i noticed a strange mark on his head and i have no idea what could it be.
ibb.co/kDxcVa
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What is wrong with my oscar. Need help. 4 months 2 weeks ago #69519

• Orange_Party8
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi and :welcome: to the forum! When I saw the picture it really confused me. So I searched it up on the internet, and found on another forum that somebody was having the same (or similar) problem. The person on that website said to touch the bump, if it falls off then take it out. If it doesn't, then don't try to rip it off... If that doesn't work (or even if it does) do a lot of water changes, and see if that helps.
All problems can be solved by a water change.

What is wrong with my oscar. Need help. 4 months 2 weeks ago #69523

• illbethejudge
  • Poecilia reticulata
Orange_Party8 wrote:
Hi and :welcome: to the forum! When I saw the picture it really confused me. So I searched it up on the internet, and found on another forum that somebody was having the same (or similar) problem. The person on that website said to touch the bump, if it falls off then take it out. If it doesn't, then don't try to rip it off... If that doesn't work (or even if it does) do a lot of water changes, and see if that helps.
It kind of looks like a scab but i am afraid i could be hole in the head disease even do i weekly test my water and everything is fine.

What is wrong with my oscar. Need help. 4 months 2 weeks ago #69528

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
we need to know water perams. and a pic be great.
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

What is wrong with my oscar. Need help. 4 months 2 weeks ago #69529

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
oh and :greet: to the site.
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

What is wrong with my oscar. Need help. 4 months 2 weeks ago #69533

• illbethejudge
  • Poecilia reticulata
popss wrote:
we need to know water perams. and a pic be great.
Ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 10ppm.
PH was 6 but when up since i added a couple of pieces of limestone. here is another picture but there is also a link (copy and paste)in my first post
ibb.co/mxyWOv

What is wrong with my oscar. Need help. 4 months 1 week ago #69535

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 104
illbethejudge wrote:
... Ihave had the fish for 6 months he eats like a pig and looks healthy he is in a 90 gallon tank with a common pleco, tank has 2 emperor 400 filters and i do 35% weekly water changes....

:welcome:

You don't need me to tell you what an awesome thing you did rescueing that Oscar!! :thumbs:

What type of nitrate test kit do you use? How many times / day and how much do you feed your new guy??

What is wrong with my oscar. Need help. 4 months 1 week ago #69537

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
30 gals a week w/c in a 90g tank with a heavy bioload is not good enough to keep a previously abused Oscar healthy. If once a week is all you can do, make that water change as much volume as possible. Take it right down to the fish's dorsal fin.Better still would be a high volume change every 4-5 days. The cleaner the water, the better for Oscar. Its biologically impossible to have safe nitrate levels at weeks end with your tank stock and 1/3 water changes.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

What is wrong with my oscar. Need help. 4 months 1 week ago #69538

• illbethejudge
  • Poecilia reticulata
beretta96 wrote:
illbethejudge wrote:
... Ihave had the fish for 6 months he eats like a pig and looks healthy he is in a 90 gallon tank with a common pleco, tank has 2 emperor 400 filters and i do 35% weekly water changes....

:welcome:

You don't need me to tell you what an awesome thing you did rescueing that Oscar!! :thumbs:

What type of nitrate test kit do you use? How many times / day and how much do you feed your new guy??
I use an API master test kit and get eats once a day around 10 big cichlid pellets and around once a week crickets or raw shrimp
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

What is wrong with my oscar. Need help. 4 months 1 week ago #69540

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 104
Northstar5 wrote:
30 gals a week w/c in a 90g tank with a heavy bioload is not good enough to keep a previously abused Oscar healthy. If once a week is all you can do, make that water change as much volume as possible. Take it right down to the fish's dorsal fin.Better still would be a high volume change every 4-5 days. The cleaner the water, the better for Oscar. Its biologically impossible to have safe nitrate levels at weeks end with your tank stock and 1/3 water changes.

@illbethejudge
Northstar is 100% correct. If maximizing your new Oscar's life is a primary objective, you'll want to keep the nitrates (NO3) below 20ppm at all times....there was a study done on a type of fish hardier than Oscar. The study identified biological changes occuring at nitrate levels of 21ppm. If you'd like more info. on the negative affects of nitrates on various fish species, I'll dig out some informaton for you to read through.

I kept my 6-8" inch Oscar alone in a 75g tank. My tap water reads 5ppm NO3 from the tap. I was unable to keep its nitrates under 20ppm with an 80% water change every four days. The nitrates were regularly at what I interpret as ~30ppm - the test color was always a reddish orange using the API test.

Based on the collective experience of most of the folks on this forum, I suspect they are nodding their collective cyber heads in agreement with Northstar and my skepticism of the accuracy of those tests. The API nitrate test has a reputation of giving low readings if Bottle #2 isn't THOROUGHLY shaken/abused before use.

That said....I think it is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME what you've done to give that fish such a better and healthier life!! :happy:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ernie14
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds