Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Question about my Oscars

Question about my Oscars 1 week 6 days ago #69500

• LovesLC
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi All
I have not posted in quite some time!
I last posted about 2 little Lutino Oscars I got about 1 year ago. As babies, one had severe pitting all over her head and Gill plates and mouth. I treated her with some help from this forum. She is much bigger now, but as suggested she seems to be permanently scarred and her mouth has become extremely crooked, I think because of her very scarred Gill plates and jaws. She has no problem eating, though, and is active and my favorite fish. She eats from my hand and is Champion Food Dance fishy..
I was finally able to set up my large tank (had to wait a bit to finish the room it fits in). But even with all the space they had in that tank (200 gallons and they are alone), my boy Oscar attacks her. She can't defend herself at all because of her deformed mouth.
I tried several different separators but every one of them at some point got knocked down or fell apart.
My husband wanted me to find another home for one of them but I could not bring myself to do it. I would worry way too much that one of them would end up in a 10 gallon tank somewhere or in a tank full of very aggressive fish and get attacked (especially the girl who can't bite).
So I set them up in separate tanks. I have the boy in 95 gallon by himself and the girl in 75 gallon by herself (I picked up both tanks practically free on Craigslist). Both with canister filters, heat, hiding spots etc.
Is this OK for them long term? How can I tell if they are healthy? They eat fine and seem active. But they are only 8-9 inches after 1 year and I thought they would be bigger?
I change out about 75G a week on the 95 and 50G a week on the 75.
Should I have tried different things to see if they could somehow get along in the bigger tank?
Thank you!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Question about my Oscars 1 week 6 days ago #69503

• tom
  • Thank you received: 229
I believe you did the right thing, aggression usually doesn't go away and often gets worse with time.
Your water change schedule sounds great.
:)

6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Chocolate, Rotkeil Severum
10 Siver Dollars

Question about my Oscars 1 week 6 days ago #69508

• LovesLC
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thanks!
So do you think their size is OK? (8-9")
I was worried that they should be much bigger at a year old

Question about my Oscars 1 week 6 days ago #69509

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 186
Size is a bit small on average, but nothing serious.I currently have a pair that are a foot at best, and they are 3 and 4 yrs old. Genetics play a role. Also a possibility that your estimates are a bit off. Even holding a tape or ruler on the glass gives only a close measure. Refraction from water, skew from glass, angle all play. Example.. I had a big Oscar pass just about 2yrs ago. My best measure in tank put him right on 12ins. Measuring post mortem I got just under 13 1/2. Its quite possible your fish are bigger than 8-9ins
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Question about my Oscars 1 week 6 days ago #69513

• LovesLC
  • Poecilia reticulata
Ahhhh. That could very well be! I have a heck of a time trying to measure them no if there is a corner or angle it messes it up.
I guess I won't worry about it and keep doing the same with them.
The boy surprised me the other day by charging the front of the tank when I was watching him! I guess he is a mature Oscar now and not the cute little baby that he was, ha ha...
The girl just dances when she sees me....I love those guys.. I wish I could have 150 of them!

Question about my Oscars 1 week 5 days ago #69520

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
Now the trick question.. what makes you think you have a male and female?
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Question about my Oscars 1 week 5 days ago #69521

• Orange_Party8
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
LovesLC wrote:
I wish I could have 150 of them!
Haha don't we all ;)
All problems can be solved by a water change.

Question about my Oscars 1 week 5 days ago #69522

• LovesLC
  • Poecilia reticulata
North Star- It really is just a guess as to why I think one is a boy and one is a girl....I did not want to handle them to vent them (which is new to me), so I waited until they were eating treats off the bottom and were completely vertical, head down, tail up and undersides toward me.
I got pics of their undersides and then enlarged them on the computer so I could see better. The one I think is a girl looks like she has 2 very round openings and the one I think is a boy has one round and the other not so round.
I have not seen any eggs or anything else that would prove gender. For the sake of referring to them as something other than "the fish" I have been calling them The Boy and The Girl..
These are my first Oscars. I assumed a lot of things, like that if they are boy and girl they would be less apt to fight. And that if they had all the room in the 200G tank they would not fight. I'm learning!
I never wanted to breed them, so I never cared if they really are boy and girl.
I took the girl when she was a baby because the fish store would tell people not to buy her because of the severe pitting. But they also were not going to treat her for it. And we had just purchased our 200G tank (again, practically free on Craigslist!) and I was becoming obsessed with Oscars the more I read about them, lol..
I went back and got her tankmate because he was starting to develope the same severe pitting. He came through with no scars at all.

Orange Party8- I saw a couple of 500-600 gallon tanks for a steal on CL (one was even free!) and told my husband if we get one maybe I could rescue and rehome wayward Oscars (he actually said Ok??!) But I see now you can't just put them in a big space and assume they will get along! Even though it drives me crazy that in YouTube I see people constantly with like 4 in a 55G and they all get along great...sigh..
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

Question about my Oscars 1 week 5 days ago #69534

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 92
LovesLC wrote:
...I took the girl when she was a baby because the fish store would tell people not to buy her because of the severe pitting. But they also were not going to treat her for it....I went back and got her tankmate because he was starting to develope the same severe pitting. He came through with no scars at all.

Good on you! You're going to be really good at this!! :thumbs:

Question about my Oscars 1 week 5 days ago #69536

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
Great response! You may indeed have male and female. Regarding YouTube.. its polluted with examples of how not to. A few minute video is not a barometer to measure what works and what doesnt. The best possible info and advice comes from experienced and knowledgeable fishkeepers on quality sites such as this. I GUARANTEE you will not find 4 or probably not even one 14in Oscar over 10yrs old that has lived a full life in a 55g tank.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds