Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Oscar With *FeMaLe* cichlids

Oscar With *FeMaLe* cichlids 1 month 1 week ago #69299

• PatricktheOscar
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 1
This is the same oscar from the bullfrog post, not the one with HITH. She's in a 120 with 1 severum. The 2 convicts have moved out (I might add the female back).
So everyone says they won't get along with a number of cichlids especially in a this tank size, but what about their female counterparts?

I was thinking
- Female jack dempsey
or
- Female texas cichlid
or
- Female vieja synspilum
or
- if those don't work, a banded leporinus

Which one do you think will work best? My oscar was very calm around the convicts and severum, so I'm sure the oscar will do her part. The leporinus will be my last resort.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oscar With *FeMaLe* cichlids 1 month 1 week ago #69301

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 61
If you have a mix that's working for you why change it? Oscar, Sev and Convict sounds like a nice combination-probably pushing your stocking to the limit but if you're happy and can keep on top of the water changes required......

Personally-I'd stick to just the Oscar and Severum.

Oscar With *FeMaLe* cichlids 1 month 1 week ago #69302

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 387
You allready have two large growing Cichlids in the bare minimum.

Jack Dempsy will most likley work but is more of a shy fish if not keeped with smaller fish as a non dominant species.

Texas gets to dominant for Severum and Astronotus if they are adult.

Vieja gets way to big. This fish grows not depending on its sex (smaller female) like Astronotus and can become even bigger.A propper cared synspilum gets at least between 14 to 15". The bare minimum for a pair of this is at least 180G and that is still small.

In reality the CA/SA mix is always not the best solution because CA cichlids are regulary way more aggressive and have different and stronger evolved jaws.

Personally for myself your tank is full, maybe a midsize or slow growing pleco or an midsize catfish can be stocked but if it had to be cichlids i would may look for a ground depending friendly species like Geophagus or keyholes.
Maybe even an midsize but single Crenicichla but with at least 2 caves to hide but nothing that depends like Sevs and Astros to all water layers.

If you just want more fish get rid of the severum and switch to a group of 5 to 6 Mesonautra.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Oscar With *FeMaLe* cichlids 1 month 1 week ago #69306

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 187
The advantage of keeping some females is smaller size. The ladies however can be just as violent as males. Mixing cichlids is always a coin toss. What works for some long term may fail for others within hours. 120g with Oscar and Severum, and possibly the female Convict is a full tank.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Oscar With *FeMaLe* cichlids 1 month 1 week ago #69332

• PatricktheOscar
muddybear wrote:
If you have a mix that's working for you why change it? Oscar, Sev and Convict sounds like a nice combination-probably pushing your stocking to the limit but if you're happy and can keep on top of the water changes required......

Personally-I'd stick to just the Oscar and Severum.
toom wrote:
You allready have two large growing Cichlids in the bare minimum.

Jack Dempsy will most likley work but is more of a shy fish if not keeped with smaller fish as a non dominant species.

Texas gets to dominant for Severum and Astronotus if they are adult.

Vieja gets way to big. This fish grows not depending on its sex (smaller female) like Astronotus and can become even bigger.A propper cared synspilum gets at least between 14 to 15". The bare minimum for a pair of this is at least 180G and that is still small.

In reality the CA/SA mix is always not the best solution because CA cichlids are regulary way more aggressive and have different and stronger evolved jaws.

Personally for myself your tank is full, maybe a midsize or slow growing pleco or an midsize catfish can be stocked but if it had to be cichlids i would may look for a ground depending friendly species like Geophagus or keyholes.
Maybe even an midsize but single Crenicichla but with at least 2 caves to hide but nothing that depends like Sevs and Astros to all water layers.

If you just want more fish get rid of the severum and switch to a group of 5 to 6 Mesonautra.
Northstar5 wrote:
The advantage of keeping some females is smaller size. The ladies however can be just as violent as males. Mixing cichlids is always a coin toss. What works for some long term may fail for others within hours. 120g with Oscar and Severum, and possibly the female Convict is a full tank.

Thanks for the info!
I agree with cichlid aggression, but if anything this 120 is not full. How about the leporinus? you guys never said anything about them.

Oscar With *FeMaLe* cichlids 1 month 1 week ago #69334

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
Leporinus make decent cichlid tankmates. Moderately aggressive. Notorious escape artists. Tank top must be gap free. By what criteria to you proclaim that the tank is not full?
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Oscar With *FeMaLe* cichlids 1 month 1 week ago #69336

• PatricktheOscar
Northstar5 wrote:
Leporinus make decent cichlid tankmates. Moderately aggressive. Notorious escape artists. Tank top must be gap free. By what criteria to you proclaim that the tank is not full?

Aqadvisor
-after putting the fish in (there is not male/female option so I used a green terror instead of female dempsey) I was only at 88%
-filtration was satisfied

Other people
- From 75 - 125 gallons, I have seen many successful combinations that most of you would call overstocked
- 90 gallon example www.ratemyfishtank.com/photo/aussie-luke/34980
- 120 gallon example
- 120 temporary but working example

Mine technically works
- I successfully had 1 oscar, 1 severum and a 2 convicts
- The male moved out which frees up a space

I hope that's enough

Oscar With *FeMaLe* cichlids 1 month 1 week ago #69338

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok this will be my last input re overstocking. I do not wish to argue. Just know however that Aquadvisor is a very generic basic guideline and does not apply to large territorial cichlids. YouTube is grossly overpopulated with poor examples of fishkeeping. 90g with 3 adult Oscars is a prime example. What you see in a 2min video does not translate to success. You should take quality advice from experienced fishkeepers, not YT fools looking for thumbs up for their videos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96

Oscar With *FeMaLe* cichlids 1 month 1 week ago #69339

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 61
PatricktheOscar wrote:

I hope that's enough

Yes those examples you show have fish (which for now) appear to be healthy-however, the point you seem to be missing is this. Long term health and longevity of the fish in the examples shown is questionable (beretta-smoke filled box analogy please) also, you are posting and asking for opinions on a forum where 99.9% of the members subscribe to the same stocking principles.

You are unlikely to change any minds here-the advice being offered to you is sound and based on many years of experience (and mistakes).
If you are of a mind to crowd your tank, and that is entirely your choice, don't be surprised when you are met with less than favourable responses.

Take some time to read back through all of the historical posts and articles here and you will very quickly spot a pattern whereby the advice heeded breeds success and the advice ignored has the opposite effect.

The thing that surprises me most is that you have a fish that is already suffering from recurring HITH and yet you still seek to heavily/over-stock your tank.

What is it they say about doing the same thing over again but expecting different results?

My very first post here (before I even had a tank-just planning) was putting forward stocking suggestions for my (soon to arrive) 150. I used AQadvisor as a guide and quoted all of those numbers here.
Various members here posted-pointed me to articles, used their vast experience and very quickly convinced me that I was way off the mark-personally, I'm glad that I listened.

In a nutshell, I think it comes down to this-If you want a busy tank, fill it with barbs, tetras etc-sit back and enjoy. If you are attracted to large cichclids-be prepared to have only a couple of fish in your tank. If you want a lot of large cichlids-get a f***in' big tank!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tom, Ernie14

Oscar With *FeMaLe* cichlids 1 month 1 week ago #69340

• tom
  • Thank you received: 229
We are trying to provide our fish with the healthiest environments possible in order for them live as long as possible.
Our stocking recommendations are based on this and nothing else.
;)

6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Chocolate, Rotkeil Severum
10 Siver Dollars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ernie14, beretta96
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds