Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: One Oscar + One Severum...?

One Oscar + One Severum...? 5 months 2 weeks ago #69114

• JAX3000
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I'm new on here, (literally just signed up) but I've been looking in and researching lots.

When I was a kid my dad had a BEAUTIFUL pair of Oscars, which is why I'm into fish now (over 30 years later).

I currently have 6 thorichthys maculipinnis (ellioti) which I LOVE (waiting for a pair and then trading the rest in) some Rainbow fish, bleeding heart Tetras, bristle noses, Cory's... typical community tank. Planted... etc... BUT, I have now become increasingly obsessed with large cichlids! I want some...!!

I don't have room for 2 Oscars, but after lots of research and thinking and more research, I've decided I'd like to go for 1 oscar and 1 severum.

My question is, will this work...?

The tank is a slightly odd shape, but it equates to a 340 litre or 90 Gallon (US) but slightly shorter than a standard 90.

It's 110 x 55 x 60 cm
Or about
43.3 x 21.7 x 23.6 inches

Now, I know the big issue I need to consider is nitrate. Add to this my ~30ppm nitrate tap water and I'm screwed, right? BUT, I have looked into this and I can buy a nitrate filter which will treat thousands of litres of water between cartridge changes to 0 nitrate.

So, having taken the idea from the article on this site where the Severum is listed as a maximum 5 star (most suitable Oscar tank mate rating) www.oscarfish.com/article-home/oscars/65-oscar-tankmates.html in a 75 gallon, I believe in my 90 I'll be fine.

(No other tank mates. Little decor, just a few rocks and wood. 2 x Eheim 2075 canister filters)

What do you say...?

Any thoughts / advise greatfuly received.

Thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

One Oscar + One Severum...? 5 months 2 weeks ago #69121

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 54
:welcome:

A 90 gallon should be fine for the two fish. Be careful with the rocks, make sure there are no sharp edges. an oscar is a very clumsy fish and can easily hurt himself if he gets spooked.

Otherwise, your stocking option should be fine.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

One Oscar + One Severum...? 5 months 2 weeks ago #69128

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 399
Depending on square foot space this will fail. Tank is way to small for the Oscar alone.
The commen Oscar gets at least 30 cm from head to tail (mostly bigger) so this 110 cm length will not even provide 3.5 body length to swim.

Compared to an betta fish with this tank diameters and 6 cm on the fish you would have a tank at 21 x 10 x 12 cm or around 2.5 Liters what is more or less a Soda bottle.
Can you keep an fish alive in that, of course but will he be happy? Most likley not, Oscars are may not fast but they are active swimmers, in a tank like this he would become resignated or aggressive.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

One Oscar + One Severum...? 5 months 2 weeks ago #69129

• JAX3000
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thank you both very much for your advice...

And here's the problem, I read everywhere that an acceptable - though not ideal - tank size for an Oscar is generally considered to be 55 gallons, I read in a published article on this website (presumably written by well respected, experienced people) that the Severum is an ideal oscar tank mate in a 75... mine is 90. I was only really doubting this idea, as I am 10cm short of a standard 55, but I'm 12cm deeper (front to back) so it's a bigger footprint... I have also read many many times over, that the footprint is a big factor... then there's volume of water, for dilution of nitratesome etc and I think with a strict, regular, large water change regime, I can control this.

I am not surprised that some would question the addition of a severum, but is my tank seriously "way too small for the oscar alone"?

I know the bigger the better, of course, but if 90 gallons isn't big enough even for the oscar, I'd say there's some terribly missleading advise advice being passed around.

I now have 1 for and 1 against... please help me clear this up.

Thank you in advance for any further input...

One Oscar + One Severum...? 5 months 2 weeks ago #69132

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 54
Even if I say yes go for it. You really should consider a back up plan because there is really no guarantee if it will work.

I went back and read the article and I quote

Severums are an excellent choice as an Oscar tank mate but, with any cichlid, there are no givens.

I attempted to house a pictus catfish with my Oscar and came to the conclusion he was better off as a single specimen because he snapped the catfish in half.

The Oscar was too aggressive to keep other fish in with him. I should've realized that sooner because he attempted to attack my cat through the glass more then a few times. It's still a cichlid and you are running the risk of being one less serverum short if it doesn't work.

It's up to you if you want to attempt it. The reason there is mixed reviews, it's based on personality of the fish and whether its a hit or a miss. Some have had good experiences and some don't.

It's up to you if you want to take that chance or not.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JAX3000

One Oscar + One Severum...? 5 months 2 weeks ago #69133

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 399
You can try it but I would not recommend a combination of this two under 120/150 Gallons and under tank sizes of

150 x 60 x 60
160 x 60 x 60
180 x 50 x 50
200 x 50 x 50
200 x 60 x 60

You will not be happy with that tank size and stocking while you need to do maximum maintaince, at least two 60/70 % WC, at least two cans and another mech filter and than it is still like a 70/30 gamble that it will fail because of aggression.
Also b by allready doing heavy maintaince the fishes will never reach full potential in that tank.

May the Sev alone would be an Option with a pair of keyholes and a group of 8 Phantom tetras but that tank size is not suitable for fishes in the 25 to 35 cm region.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

One Oscar + One Severum...? 5 months 2 weeks ago #69134

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
In my experience, which btw is several decades, Oscar and Severum do make excellent tankmates. I have them together right now. The key is tankspace. Mine are in a 7ft tank. Your 90 g has neither the volume or footprint to house an Oscar and another fish. As stated, your tank while having decent volume, has odd dimensions, and is far from ideal for an Oscar. Not critically inadequate, just not real good. This site and others recommend a MINIMUM 48x18 base and 75g for a single Oscar. Most Oscars can exceed a foot long by age 2, and live well past 10yrs. Its not a good life keeping such a large fish in a smallish tank for so long. Oscars do sooooo much better in 6ft tanks with 120-150g all to themselves.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

One Oscar + One Severum...? 5 months 2 weeks ago #69135

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 229
Jax, I keep an oscar and a green severum in a 75g and I've made it work for almost 4 yrs now. I feed no more than 5x/week, keep the water temp ~78F, have a pothos plant growing out of the tank and am able to stay at 20ppm or less nitrates with one weekly fin level water change. My O is only about 10" and the sev about 8+. Like said above, it's not a setup and stocking for everyone, but enjoy mine and would likely do it again.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

One Oscar + One Severum...? 5 months 2 weeks ago #69138

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 104
Regarding your nitrate tap water reading of ~30ppm....IMO that's a big issue. I heard these filters work really well. I've no personal experience with them....would like to try them out someday but probably not anytime soon.

One Oscar + One Severum...? 5 months 2 weeks ago #69144

• JAX3000
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thanks again for all your input.

blackcougar
You are concerned about aggression from a "you can never be sure" point of view, which nobody could agrue with, but according to what I have read from many, including Northstar5, they're a very well suited combination. (O & Sev)

Toom
Thank you for your suggested tank sizes. I wish that was what I had available and I'm sure one day I will, but for now, sadly I do not. But your primary concerns seem to be with overall volume and therefore water changes required. Please don't be offended, but on what are you basing your estimated required WC schedule? It appears to conflict with FreshyFresh's experience in a smaller tank...

Freshy
Thank you so much for your input. Not to dismiss others' input, but it's so important to hear from somebody who is actually doing or has done what I'm asking about. Again, I hope nobody takes offence, but if you have 10 120gallon tanks, of course a 90 looks small and why would you even try it?
Would you say this is realistic for a relative newbie, or is there some special trick / science to your setup that I may struggle to replicate....?

beretta95
Thanks, I'll get onto the topic of filters in another post, but, in a nutshell, what you have shown here appears to be designed to process nitrate in the water which is slowly added to the tank on an ongoing basis (like our conventional filters do with with ammo and nitrite) but I was thinking about a filter which clears nitrates from source water before it hits the tank. My originsl post was confusing, so I have now edited it.
But....Why don't I use both...?! As I said, that is for my next post... for now I must go to bed...

I know I'm rambling on here, but this is extremely important to me.

Thank you all so much for your advice.

(My wife and I had our second scan today and .... It's an apparently healthy little girl...!!!) :))))
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds