Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hi Guys - 90g

Hi Guys - 90g 8 months 3 weeks ago #68913

• keenech
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello all,

I've followed this site on and off for a long while. I frequently read the forum around 12-14 years ago, as a young teenager myself and our family had a few aquariums. I had a 10g with a few community fish while my dad kept an O and Sev in a 20g for a few months. After finding this site I talked him into a 55g. I remember there being frequent poster who kept an O and full grown plec in either a 55 or 70 while doing daily water changes to keep the nitrates under 40ppm. Many members weren't impressed.

Fast forward half my life and I've talked the wife into allowing me a 90g 4ft tank. I bought it used and it came with a fully functional Rena Filstar xp2, gravel, decor, and a beautiful stand whose doors I let blow off during transportation. I've completed a week of fishless cycling. NH3 readings drop about 1ppm every 12 hours now. Nitrates around 10. PH 7.4ish, no NH3 in tap. How close do you think I am? The canister had water in it so I hope there may be a bit of a head start there. The guy had cut up straws in place of bioballs. I've got ceramic cylinder media arriving tomorrow. There's also carbon in the Filstar which I'll remove tomorrow while replacing the bio media.

My son received a 6g for Christmas, which I set up immediately and started to cycle with feeder goldfish from walmart, not ideal I know. Hoped that it would be cycled by now but it still has about 1.5ppm NH3, if it does complete anytime soon I'll bring the filter to the 90g for a short bit.

The plan is a tiger O, 5 spotted SD's, an Albino BN plec, and a Convict. I'll do fin level WCs weekly. Whenever the bioload becomes a struggle I hope to talk the wife out of the SDs (which I can rehome to the LFS). The O and BN are non negotiable, but I'd like some ideas for additional movement outside of SDs. I'm going to need additional filtration and am considering a Penn Plax 300gph HOB or another medium sized canister. What do you think there?

Thanks!
90g Oscar
6g Guppy tank
1 Great Pyrenees 1 Border Collie
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hi Guys - 90g 8 months 3 weeks ago #68914

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
48in 90g doesnt allow for more fish past an Oscar. A big Oscar will make it look small in just about a year. A BN plec is not a good Oscar tankmate, as Oscar will no doubt try to eat it as soon as he thinks he can. Very likely will mean death to both fish, as the plec could easily get lodged in the Oscars mouth/throat. I would add a pair of Aquaclear 110 hobs to go with the canister. If you are consistantly reading no ammonia or nitrite, and have nitrates, then tank is ready for fish.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Hi Guys - 90g 8 months 3 weeks ago #68916

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 410
+1
You can't keep Astronotus and Ancistrus save together. An adult Ancistrus is in snack size of an normally sized Oscar.
An Agamyxis pectinifrons what is an very inactive fish would work if they are allready adult. An Liosomadoras oncinus would also work looks better and is also big enough not to end as Lunch.
For the SD. You don't have enough footprint for so many large fish.
I also would say keep to the Single O with one of this catfishes or Stock with more bit with smaller species.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Hi Guys - 90g 8 months 3 weeks ago #68917

• keenech
  • Poecilia reticulata
As I was typing out that fish list I realized how unrealistic it was. The length of the tank and SD incompatibility hadn't been a thought yet and I realize that now. Really like the Agamyxis idea toom. I want to keep something with a sucker-mouth in the tank due to the driftwood piece I have, would a Thomasi Plec work? Do I have enough swim space for a Convict, Sev, Port, etc (just one)? I may just do some Danios.

Understood on the BNs, I've seen somewhere that people thought they were good tank mates, but ya I bet they'd look real tasty to an O
90g Oscar
6g Guppy tank

Hi Guys - 90g 8 months 3 weeks ago #68918

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 112
:welcome:
You seem to have done some good research. As a result, you've read the consensus is to keep nitrate levels at 20ppm or less for the long term health of your Oscar.

I started my Oscar as the lone occupant in a 75g. At `6-8 months, I was having trouble keeping the nitrates at under 30ppm (orangish red color on the API test kit) even with lower than fin level water changes every 4 days. My water municipality says my tap water has a max. of 3ppm nitrates. My interpretation of the colors on my API test kit indicates I have 5ppm.

As a result, I upgraded my Oscar to a 125g - still the lone occupant. It's filtered by (2) Eheim 2217's and (2) AC110's. He's now ~15 months old & ~11". I go no longer than 5 days in between water changes and then do a 95% water change. I can't remember the last time nitrates were more than 10ppm since moving him to the 125g.

With his diet, I've learned doing a 50% water change on the 3rd day after the 95% water change keeps his nitrates at ~5ppm in between the large 95% water changes.

Even if your Oscar doesn't eat/kill the pleco and you feed them very sparingly, I can't imagine how you would keep the nitrates at 20ppm or less after the first 6 months.

Hi Guys - 90g 8 months 3 weeks ago #68919

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 410
L188 gets to the same max size as Ancistrus at around 12 cm so no.
A pleco should at least have around 16/17 cm so that he will not be food size to an Oscar.
L114 stays mostly around 20 to 25 cm but it's not easy to find allready bigger ones and they are very slow growers.
L 137 the Red Bruno also stays between 20 and 25 cm and also don't need super tropical temps and are also not so super expensive but unlike the L114 what is more an carnivorus eater the L137 needs his veggis with fibers and not only cucumber.
There also still alot of nice plecos out there but I don't know if you can excuse to spend 200 to 800 Dollars for an fish while some are real stunners.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Hi Guys - 90g 8 months 3 weeks ago #68920

• keenech
  • Poecilia reticulata
You guys are the best. I would have a hard time justifying an expensive pleco Toom. My tap shows nitrates as well Beretta (5ppm according to the API master) and I should be able to squeeze bi-weekly WCs in easily.

I've been looking through wetspot online store and came across a wide variety of Synodontis catfish. I may end up with one in the 15-20cm range to keep in the tank with the O. It looks like some are less hardy than others. Check out this guy

90g Oscar
6g Guppy tank

Hi Guys - 90g 8 months 3 weeks ago #68921

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 82
Welcome.
Lots of sound advice given so far.To answer your question on cycling be prepared to wait up to 8 weeks. Whether you're doing a fishless or fish in cycle will take roughly the same time.You mentioned you're doing a fishless cycle in the 90 ,I assume you're adding liquid ammonia?
Yes definitely remove the carbon, more media is the way to go.
Patience is your best friend at the moment, keep up with your water testing, once you start to see a Nitrite reading your cycle is well under way.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Hi Guys - 90g 8 months 2 weeks ago #69047

• keenech
  • Poecilia reticulata
Do I need to change the water to keep nitrites down? I did a 95% WC today and the nitrites were still 0.5-1ppm. The ammonia is being cycled 4ppm to 0 in 12 hours.

Are high nitrites stalling the procedure? I know 5ppm+ ammonia stalls

Also, I think I want a true albino tiger O. Do lutino Os have the bright red eyes as a juv?
90g Oscar
6g Guppy tank

Hi Guys - 90g 8 months 2 weeks ago #69051

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
no worries about nitrite stalling cycle, change the water as you would keeping fish, DO NOT clean your filters. the only real dif between an albino and a lutine is there will be graying on a fin. most often pect fins. I would rather have a lutino than albino, albino,s have genetic (sp)defects most notably eye sight. but are others. can not really tell the dif between an albino and a lutino cept for the graying. here is a short vid of my lutino.

The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds