Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 9 months 5 days ago #68835

• Scott49
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
Yeh I slowly added new media... got rid of the standard bio floss and got basically a much finer floss and used to trays with the fine then used to more trays with the course black foam . And added some bags with seachem matrix ontop of the course foam just a thin layer
3 little O's
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 9 months 5 days ago #68836

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 82
Floss is great for mechanical filtration but you need to substantially increase your bio filtration. I would remove the two trays of floss and replace with matrix.
This will be why you are still getting ammonia readings, your filter is being over whelmed and not coping with the bio load being produced by three Oscars.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 9 months 5 days ago #68838

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
The other problem running mainly floss in your filter is that it gunks up. So even though it may hold small amounts of beneficial bacteria when you replace it every two to three months you will at best have a mini cycle it at worst have a complete crash.
Ceramic noodles like matrix will still gunk up a little but can be rinsed in tank water and have no effect on your cycle.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 9 months 5 days ago #68840

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 61
Hi Scott-I would echo what Ernie said, ammonia should not be present at all. This could be a contributing factor to the slow growth of the one fish.
Also, your water change schedule needs to be upped-3 fish (2 of which are around the 6 inch mark) require at least 1 large (80%+) water change per week.
As I'm sure that you have read here time and time again-clean water can only benefit your fish.
I have a 5 inch Oscar in a 75 with 2 silver dollars-water gets changed (fin level) every Monday and Friday-maybe a little excessive but hey, why not? If you get a good routine worked out it's surprising how quickly you can get through a change.
I do 4 tanks twice a week (150, 75, 30, 20) the whole process takes around 3 and a half hours (I don't rush)-time well spent.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 9 months 5 days ago #68843

• Scott49
ok so grabbed a pic for you guys right after feeding while the kids are out swimming around..

Yesterday afternoon i did a 150% water change.. Drained it down to about 10% the put a hose in while still draining with another and let it go for about 30 min while i cleaned the glass and fixxed up the gravel that had shifted around over time... this is the readings as of 14hrs later .. normally my nitrate is a touch higher but i think i lost a little with the big change ...
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 9 months 5 days ago #68846

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 61
All looks good to me Scott-your nitrate should reduce according to the amount of water you change eg, change 50% water/reduce nitrate by 50%.
Did you keep you filters running whilst changing? To perform a true 100%+ water change (at least this is how I do it-and I always turn my filters off during a water change, shut it all down).

1) drain the tank down to fin level
2) refill (some refill half, I go the whole hog)
3) run filters for a couple of hours-this allows the water that remained in the filters after the first drain to be diluted by the new water
4) drain the tank down to fin level
5) refill

This process should reset your nitrate level to as close to zero as it's ever going to get. I run a 4 week cycle, every Friday 1 of my tanks has a back to back change as outlined above.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 9 months 5 days ago #68847

• Scott49
muddybear wrote:
All looks good to me Scott-your nitrate should reduce according to the amount of water you change eg, change 50% water/reduce nitrate by 50%.
Did you keep you filters running whilst changing? To perform a true 100%+ water change (at least this is how I do it-and I always turn my filters off during a water change, shut it all down).

Yes i kept the filter running for most of it ... i always do i have piece of hose i attach to the return and put on a plate so the water doesnt splash with the low water level and freak out the little guys .. they dont like water changes very much... they pout and get moody at me .. swim near the glass and just stare at me and bite the glass.....
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 9 months 5 days ago #68850

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 192
That is eco-complete planted 'black' substrate and not eco-complete cichlid 'zack black' since it came sealed in the bag with liquid. Is the wysteria still not growing? I'd think the color spectrum and intensity emitted by those LEDs would be adequate for some growth at least. Does brown algae grow low on the glass? What about green algae?

I see what you mean about the one oscar being so much smaller. It's possible the smaller one is from a different clutch but even fish from the same clutch can vary in size and have different growth rates, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 9 months 4 days ago #68855

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Water testing results look perfect that's what you need to aim for.Keep up with weekly water change schedule, nitrate results will indicate how much water you need to change. I would be doing at least 1 x 75% per week, possibly two. Also you should never get a reading for ammonia unless as I said filter is being overwhelmed.
Also consider beefing up your biological filtration by increasing your ceramic noodle media, you indicated you only have a thin layer on top of your floss.
Muddy also gave you a great method of doing 100% water change, will definitely improve your water parameters.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 6 months 1 week ago #70013

• Scott49
Hey guys.. Been a while..

So been doing 25-40% a week for few months no issues with a 75% once a month... tank has been crystal clear and fish have been growing fast..
i went out of town for a week so gave my guys double feedings for 3 days prior before going out of town. well when i cam back i noticed alot of what looks like mold growing around the tank.. so i did back to back same day.. once in the morining then again in the afternoon 80% water changes.. changed the filters scrubbed the rocks and glass.. then continued to do 50% everyday for a week... so water is testing at Ammonia 0ppm - Nitrite is 0ppm and nitrate is about 8ppm .. water temp is 75 degrees and the mold seem to go away.. well its been about a week and ive gone back to my regular routine of 25-40 a week and now its back again .. can anyone tell me is this good or bad...

3 little O's
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds