Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 4 months 3 days ago #68377

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 98
Scott49 wrote:
....also im having a issue with my wisteria .. its just slowly dying.. not sure why the fish dont seem to bother it so i cant figure out why..

lighting i have a 4ft 60w 5000k led light so i think its getting plenty of light..
if you look back at begging of post you can see what it looked like 3 months ago

I'm not being humble when I say I'm not an expert on aquarium plants. I've been trying to grow some in a 29g for the last 9-12 months. Based on my research and very limited experience, I've found growing plants in an aquarium is mostly finding the right mix of the following three things:
1. Light
2. Nutrients
3. CO2

I'm growing Wisteria in my 29g tank. It wasn't doing very well until a couple months ago after I'd changed up the amount of light it was getting. After adjusting the lighting, there was a little improvement but the Wisteria wasn't looking as good as it does for most others. I then changed up the amount of fertilizer I was adding. Over the last couple months it's finally started to do well.

How long is your lighting period? Are you adding fertilizer? Are you doing any CO2 supplementation?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 4 months 3 days ago #68383

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 98
Scott49 wrote:
i believe my substrate is Caribsea Instant Aquarium Freshwater Live Substrate Tahitian Moon but i cant be positive as i cant find the receipt

Your substrate is too large and course to be Tahitian Moon Sand.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 4 months 2 days ago #68387

• Scott49
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
Found out it is carribsea Eco complete ... The store I bought from said is great for plants they use it for all of there's
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 3 months 3 weeks ago #68507

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 185
The substrate might be Caribsea EcoComplete Cichlid 'Zack Black' instead of EcoComplete Planted 'Black'. EcoComplete Cichlid is for African cichlids and is crushed coral/aragonite so plants won't grow in that.

Caribsea has 10 different brands/types of substrate but 6 of those are aragonite/crushed coral/shells. Those six are: Ocean Direct, Arag-alive, Aragonite, CORALine, African Cichlid Mix and Eco-Complete Cichlid. It's confusing having six different categories of chalk.

In addition, Eco-Complete Planted and Floramax are the same substrate. The only difference is 'Eco-Complete Planted' comes in the bag with liquid and 'Floramax' comes in the bag dry without liquid.

I add my own liquid to aquariums. I'm a big DIY guy. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 3 months 3 weeks ago #68512

• Scott49
It came in sealed bags that's was about 1/4 filled with water or liquid of some sort
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 3 months 1 week ago #68823

• Scott49
hey Guys its been some time now .. the fish a growing well the tank is stable .. ive done some moving around and added some pipe and made a 2nd level so the fish have place to swim and hide... so my issue i guess is 2 of the O's are getting larger around 5-6 inches now while the one guy just wont grow at all he still 3 inches ...

When i feed the fish i get the big guys first as they eat most of all the food and when they done eating i will feed the little guy .. he eats same amount as the big guys maybe a little more..

ive been feeding them the omega 1 carnivore frozen... for some reason they all went off the pellet food and wont even touch it .. i stopped feeding them for a week to get them to eat pellet and still refused to eat so i just went back to what they like....

my question is .... is it possible the little guy just a really slow grower or could there be something wrong with him

will get some pics soon ph is doing an update
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 3 months 1 week ago #68830

• Ernie14
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 71
Oscars grow at different rates, when I got my two they were juveniles at about 2 inches. One grew much quicker than the other, at about 6 months one was about double the size of the smaller one. Like you I was concerned but both were eating so I let nature take it's course.
Three years later the " small one" is a good 13 inches and the " big one" is under 12 inches. Don't panic as long as they are eating and water parameters maintained they will grow at their own rate.
Are you still planning on keeping all 3 in your 100 gallon?
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 3 months 1 week ago #68832

• Scott49
No not their permanent home ... I'll move then to bigger tank when the time comes that I need too... so far water is great doing about 50% every 2-3 weeks now.. ammonia will go up about .2ppm every 2 weeks besides that nothing else really changes... I changed up my canister filter and used different media in it and it helped so much more than the standard stuff that you get for it ...
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 3 months 1 week ago #68833

• Ernie14
  • Symphysodon discus
Shouldn't still be getting ammonia readings now? What are your nitrate levels?
I would think water change schedule needs to be increased

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 3 months 1 week ago #68834

• Ernie14
  • Symphysodon discus
Another question, when you say you changed your filter media to something better, did you keep any of the existing media?
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds