Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 4 months 1 week ago #68254

• Scott49
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
Tarheel96 wrote:
Nice looking oscars. They can be a lot of fun when they're that size.
. So I did a little research and I found in this forum ... A page that shows the different types of oscars...

From what I seen I have 3 different types based on their colors....

The little guy is a wild Oscar
The. One is a red Oscar as he his mostly all goldish red
Then the last guy is a tiger as he has the red patches same tiger pics

I could be wrong but from what I see in the photos and them in the tank that's what I can gather
3 little O's
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 4 months 1 week ago #68257

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 394
I see two different patterned Tigers.

Wild young Astronotus looks very different.

Here as example an typical Baby tiger

True wild youngs are very unremarkable and dull. Baby Tigers would have a hard time surviving in the wild because they are breed for the untypical bright orange that comes out very early on them.

The other different is the Aggression level. Wild Astronotus are way more "wild". They are not as community friendly and often try to kill each other with only a couple of inches big. In the wild it seems that they become for a part time lone wolfs after leaving the parents and later after gaining size start to school again.
Tigers and other line breeds are at the other hand way more tame. You can see this often in pet Shops that keep from time to time WC Astros.
While linebreeds often accepts a overstocking in a selling tank wild ones start to kill each other.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 4 months 1 week ago #68258

• Scott49
i was basing it off this page here...

www.oscarfish.com/article-home/oscars/54-types-of-oscars.html

looks like i have 1 tiger 1 red and 1 common/wildtype..

photos it is hard to see their color as most of the tank is black.. but i could be wrong ... ill try and get some picks of them.. that shows color.. i dont really want to have to net them to take a pic ..

maybe ill try a video
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 4 months 1 week ago #68322

• Scott49
ok guys so i got a video..
take note i just feed these guys about 30 min before the video.. gave them all 1 cube each of Omega One Super Carnivore as their treat for the week....
they go completely nuts for it......

so here is the video
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 4 months 1 week ago #68323

• Scott49
So i turned up my light i must have turned it down one night and forgot to turn it ... much better now....

There is some debris in the water because i just added a wave maker couple days ago and so its kicking up a little bit of loose stuff from the bottom... im expecting it to go away in the next water change and canister clean tomorrow... ...

Also i would like to bring to attention regarding sump.. I know there is a ton of information out there and that has gotten confusing.. basically the next $1 per gallon sale im going to grab a 5-6 20g tanks to setup on a rack to start a small fish room.. im also going to get 2 either 30 or 40g tanks to build sumps with...

what has gotten me confused is mostly media how much is enough and what should i use..... i was thinking the scrub pads from dollar store as i see alot of people using them over bio balls... but after that im not sure.. maybe some lava rock but im clue less from there... so maybe if you guys could give me a list of what you use or have experienced in order of flow would be :thumbs: ..
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 4 months 4 days ago #68368

• Scott49
ok guys so its been over a week and busy with all the xmas stuff... i got a little slack on the tank cleaning and stuff as been hectic busy pulling 18-20hr days at work...

so just did a water check and a 75% change the readings before change are

nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 20pp-40ppm (depending on light and angle you hold)
ammonia .25ppm

also im having a issue with my wisteria .. its just slowly dying.. not sure why the fish dont seem to bother it so i cant figure out why..

lighting i have a 4ft 60w 5000k led light so i think its getting plenty of light..
if you look back at begging of post you can see what it looked like 3 months ago

attached is some pics
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 4 months 4 days ago #68369

• Scott49
i believe my substrate is Caribsea Instant Aquarium Freshwater Live Substrate Tahitian Moon but i cant be positive as i cant find the receipt
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 4 months 4 days ago #68372

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 61
Hi Scott-to my eyes your nitrate reading looks more in the 40/80 area.
Lets assume it's 40-your 75% change will reduce your nitrate to 10, that seems a pretty high starting point for a tank with 3 Oscars in.
If I was seeing red on my nitrate I'd be doing a couple of big back-to-back changes to get that number as close to zero as possible.

I'm surprised that you are still seeing ammonia-I would have thought that your cycle would be complete by now. Are you regularly dosing with safe/prime?

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 4 months 3 days ago #68374

• Scott49
Yes doing prime every time around 3 caps
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 4 months 3 days ago #68376

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 394
The plant has no substrate to root. You would need around 3.5 to 4 " of substrate where where higher growing plants can root and that colored gravel is most likley coated granules ans the little fish waste that could may become fertilizer is regulary removed. :whistle:

With that kind of lighting growing should not be the Problem even without Co2. You should give it a Kiss and say good bye because Oscars will soon or later shred it anyways or give it a try in a propper sized flower pot.
Get one in the size of a bigger Coffee mug made from plastic pin a couple of dozen holes in it and fill it with aqua soil or if you want it cheaper get a hand of pond earth.
Many people also usw just regular dirt with some clay balls arund the plant.

I personally would reduce the heavy lighting and save some Watts and may try it with Anubias but Oscars destoy them also :S
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds