Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 5 months 3 weeks ago #68054

• Scott49
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
Water conditions havnt really changed at all.. looks like the nitrate is slowly coming up but i can not get the nitrite or ammonia to even budge
3 little O's
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 5 months 3 weeks ago #68056

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 800
everything looks good, your ammonia readings look a little high but this not a true reading with AP!, drop on you floor and look down at it and am betting it will be yellow with no green.
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 5 months 3 weeks ago #68057

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 800
the problem with yellow is that it takes on any colors reflected onto it. esp any green. so almost no matter how you look at it, it seems to read .25ppm.
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 5 months 3 weeks ago #68061

• Ernie14
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 73
Are you testing before or after water change? If you have chloramine in your water supply it will give a reading for ammonia for about 24 hours.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 5 months 3 weeks ago #68066

• Scott49
Im testing 24hr after each water change... :sick:
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 5 months 3 weeks ago #68067

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 191
At 5 months old, each of those 3 oscars should be about 4" in length. With that bioload in a tank that size, I'd expect the ammonia concentration to increase by 0.25 - 0.50 ppm each day (~1-2 ppm nitrate/daily in a cycled tank). So it looks like your filter bacteria have become established. When you see nitrate increase while ammonia and nitrite remain at zero the cycle is complete. :thumbs:

How often are you performing water changes and at what volume? I'd wait a few days to see what happens to NH3, N02 and N03. Wait a couple days without a WC and retest. Be sure to shake the nitrate solution #2 bottle like mad for 2 full minutes or it will give false low readings. Can you post a photo of the tank/fish to give me an idea of the bioload?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott49

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 5 months 3 weeks ago #68069

• Scott49
So nothing increases each day it stays the same every time ... I'm doing 50-60% every 3 days If you look back a page or 2 there is some pics
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 5 months 2 weeks ago #68236

• Scott49
Looks like im finally cycled.. i waited about 5 days to do a water change (mainly because i got what ever this sickness is going around and it wiped me out)

my ammonia is .50ppm which is understandable for long water change...
nitrite is 0ppm
nitrate is 10ppm so i think we are all good

im going to do a 30% change now see how it test tomorrow

thanks for all the help.... ive started buying materials for a bigger tank build as things come on sale...

SIDE NOTE: 2 of my O's are about 4-5" now and the other guy is still really small 3" range.. he has a lot of tanned stripes on him where the other 2 are majority black..

ill try to get some good pics but not sure why the lil one not growing
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 5 months 2 weeks ago #68237

• Scott49
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 5 months 2 weeks ago #68250

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 191
Nice looking oscars. They can be a lot of fun when they're that size.

Actually, this test confirms that you're not fully cycled yet. Your filter bacteria haven't reached sufficient numbers to convert all ammonia in the water into nitrate so that both ammonia (and nitrite) always read zero. At the same time, you're well into the cycle with both types of bacteria functioning in your filter (ammonia-oxidizing and nitrite-oxidizing bacteria) because a significant amount of ammonia is being converted into nitrate.

Based on those test results for the last 5 days you can figure out your bioload (concentration of ammonia released into the water each day).

Ammonia (NH3), nitrite (NO2), and nitrate (NO3) don't convert into equal parts. 1 part NH3 -> 2.7 parts NO2 -> 3.64 parts NO3. So your 10 ppm NO3 over 5 days are from 0.55 ppm NH3 per day (10 ÷ 5 ÷ 3.64 = 0.55). Take the 5 day 0.5 ppm NH3 yet to be converted into nitrite or nitrate and convert to daily and you get 0.1 ppm NH3 (0.5 ÷ 5 = 0.1). Add the two daily NH3 levels for the total ammonia released each day (0.5 + 0.1 = 0.6 ppm NH3 per day).

Since most of the ammonia is being converted into nitrate I don't think it will be much longer before your filter bacteria grow enough to keep ammonia at zero.

I hope you'll keep posts of the plywood build with pictures describing the process. A lot of people would appreciate that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott49
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds