Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to determine who are males and female?

How to determine who are males and female? 1 year 3 months ago #64387

• Dogster
  • Poecilia reticulata
I have a group of 7 Oscars. They have all been together since they where about 5-8 cm. With the exeption of one of them, who is two years older than the rest. Now they are 30-33 cm, exept one, that is about 25cm.
The plan was to wait until two of them formed a pair, then split them up. There are some rivalry among some of them. The oldest, the largest and the second smallest. They do some lipwrestling and spastic shaking to meassure one another up, and as far as I can tell, the smallest of these three have won, and are the leader. He(asuming) has much darker color than the rest, and have buildt a pit in one corner of the tank, for himself . But he doesn't get a partner, and this has been going one for three months now.
Can I asume that the three rivals are males, and the rest are females, or is it possible that I have 7 males in there?
I need some clues on how to tell the sexes apart in a group like this, and how to get them to pair up.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to determine who are males and female? 1 year 3 months ago #64388

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
Unlikely you have all males. Please post a video of tank and fish.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

How to determine who are males and female? 1 year 3 months ago #64389

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 403
You most likley have both male and female Oscars in your tank. The Problem is that a potential pair have to be able to claim a terretory and with 7 adult Oscars this would only be possible in an very big tank between 10 to 12 x 3.5 to 4 feet in footprint.
No terretory with clear borders they could protect no pairing.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

How to determine who are males and female? 1 year 3 months ago #64391

• Dogster
  • Poecilia reticulata
toom wrote:
You most likley have both male and female Oscars in your tank. The Problem is that a potential pair have to be able to claim a terretory and with 7 adult Oscars this would only be possible in an very big tank between 10 to 12 x 3.5 to 4 feet in footprint.
No terretory with clear borders they could protect no pairing.

I have been thinking i that direction, and buildt a barrier(a pile of pottery) in the middle of the tank, to do it more easy to claim a terretory. But like you say, the tank is 6,5 x 2,6 feet, so there's probably not enough room.

I am buildng a pond, outside, planning to keep them outside a couple of months during the summertime. I'll try to leave a couple of those who doesn't participate in the lipwrestling in the tank along with the dominant one, and see if they get a connection.

Thank you

How to determine who are males and female? 1 year 3 months ago #64408

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
With that tank size you should have success by finding a pair if you reduce to Maybe 4 exemplars. Still no guarantee but it will be at least more likley to happen as with that much Oscars in that tank.
You can say if there would be a pair they will claim at least 50% of the footprint as terretory and if possible around 4 x 3 feet that they protect around there offspring.

How to determine who are males and female? 1 week 6 days ago #70710

• Dogster
  • Poecilia reticulata
It have been quite a while now, and this project has gone shit. I found a pair among them. They made a little teritory, and try to fend of the rest, but I never saw any eggs. Right before christmas I got my hands on, and installed a new aquarium, and moved the others in to that. The pair was left alone with a lazy Pleco and a friendly Snakehead. I placed a big flat stone in the one end, and root in the other end, so they could choose the spot to their liking. Nothing happened for six month but in June they laid a LOT of eggs. They chose the flat stone. I moved the stone with the eggs to a hatching aquarium along with water from the Oscars aquarium. 20 cm over the bottom with an airstone under. In just three days all the eggs were covered i mould. Then tings started to happen in the other aquarium. The largest male paired with one of the others and a lot of eggs were laid on the tilebottom of that tank. I put in tankdivider, to give them privacy, so they could do the Job themselves. Nothing hatched. Then he paired with another female, just two weeks later, and new eggs were laid. Same spot. Same ting happened. Back to the first couple, in the other tank. Here the female got ill. Se started to swell up, and ended up lying at the bottom gasping, so I had to put her down. One of the two females in the second aquarium were moved over to replace her a month ago. They did not hit it of at first, but eggs were laid a week ago. Meanwhile another batch of eggs were laid by the pair left in the other tank. To sum it up. I've had five batches of Oscar eggs in just over two month, and all I get is dead white eggs! WHY?! :bang:

In the same periode a pair of Tilapia Mariae, I have, have produced 400 spawn, in two hatchings.

How to determine who are males and female? 1 week 6 days ago #70711

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
Chances that at least one fetrile pair is under this condition is quite good or your busy male is Not fetrile but i think more IT could be caused by water condtions. What are your parameters?

No2
No3
Nh4
Ph
Kh
Gh

How to determine who are males and female? 1 week 6 days ago #70712

• Dogster
  • Poecilia reticulata
It's been a mix of 3 different females and two males without any hatching.

I have not meassured my parameters in a long time, but I use a mix of tabwater and water from a 12 meter groundwell. Both PH 7 and free of calsium. I change half the water at least two times a week, and have filtration systems meassured for five times the size of the actual tanks. I also have a lot of "duckweed" plante to take care of the NO3 levels. There is no chance in hell, the water quality doesn't meassure up to the task.

But, asuming it's something with the water. What would prevent fertelizing?

I've heard rumores that some comercial breeders use chemicals to infertilize their spawn, before it's shiped to the stores, but I don't know if thats true. But i'm beginning to think so.

How to determine who are males and female? 1 week 6 days ago #70713

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
It's not about the water quality for the fish to maintain its about the parameters for breeding.
For example most drawf cichlids or angel fish, pike cichlids, plecos and so on can be keeped in neutral tab water but will never breed in it let alone bring up fetrile offspring. Here you need to simulate more south american standarts.

Still it could be possible both of your males are infetrile.

How to determine who are males and female? 1 week 6 days ago #70714

• Dogster
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thank you for insightful replies. However I still don't have a clue on what to do. I think that best thing to do is to get rid of all the Oscars and start over from scratch, with fish from new supliers.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds