Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Thoughts on filtration

Thoughts on filtration 3 months 4 days ago #71826

• ted
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
Hey, look at me posting a real fishy topic!

I have a 150g tank, plumbed and running a wet/dry sump that I have had for years. I've had African cichlids and local natives and exotics. Today, I have a Greater Siren, a Brown bullhead and a pleco.

I have thought of catching an Oscar in the Everglades to bring home, but I think I may be done with larger fish and their demands.

What is everyone's opinion on switching to two large (125g rated) sponge filters with power heads and maybe a long air stone across the back for fun and excitement. I want to switch off the sump pump. The goal would be to stock with local natives like sail fin mollies and killies. I'd probably keep the pleco but offload the siren and the catfish.

Overall, I want to lower maintenance demands as well as sound level, but still keep the fish alive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thoughts on filtration 3 months 4 days ago #71827

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
ted wrote:
....Overall, I want to lower maintenance demands as well as sound level.....

My Oscar tank is in the main living area. I've wanted to run an air stone(s) in that tank primarily because I think bubbles in the tank look cool. However, I've never been able to find an air pump that is quiet enough to run the air stone(s). I'm starting to get annoyed at the noise associated with the AC110's that are on it.

Is your sump noisier than an air pump would be?

Thoughts on filtration 3 months 4 days ago #71828

• ted
  • Administrator
Yeah. It gurgles and the pump is pretty loud. I have the all rigid PVC plumbing and I think that makes the vibration worse.

I have a small air pump running on it now, but it’s drowned out by the sump pump noise.

I do like the look of bubbles too, that’s why I’m going for the back wall bubble curtain thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

Thoughts on filtration 3 months 3 days ago #71831

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 440
That is the actual standart here on HMF reactor filtration..
You can use them with air lifters but also with an wave maker as powerhead.

www.hmfshop.de/HMF---pump/HMF-pump-overview-82/

Maybe you can order there or rebuild something simular.

For quite air Pumps you need to get larger as the to ones..
Hitschi and Osaga do decent ones. The 20 Liter per Minute ones and larger are simular in Sound as an Fluval FX with 35db
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Thoughts on filtration 3 months 3 days ago #71834

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 492
Perhaps I'm behind the curve here but I love the functional capacity of a sump. Aside from the return pump (which I just need to adjust for noise a bit) my drain side is nearly silent. The baffles keep the water level up high enough where the noise is minimal from the overflow side. My return pump is over kill and PVC plumbed so unless it sits perfectly even with the bottom of the tank it vibrates and creates a good amount of noise. I'm just going to cut my vinyl tubing down (I have vinyl tubing after the ball valve that I plumbed in hence the PVC) so that the pump can sit even and really that should cut down on the noise a lot. I know others have used like the soft mats from a mouse pad under their return pumps to absorb vibration with success as well.

Removing the sump is going to reduce your overall volume hence creating a more frequent need for water maintenance IMO, but hey I'm old fashioned.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Thoughts on filtration 3 months 2 days ago #71835

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 440
In a heavy duty fish tank with a couple of pounds of fish like a pair of Os and some sidestock i would totally agree rush. A sump is biological the best alternative.
Aquarium filters are like car engines, more volume means more power.
It still has some down grades and is in some cases just a waste of electricity. What is the 65G sump worth on a 220G tank if you only keep stock for a 55G tank? Sure the more volume keeps No3 more under control but while most here are anyways heavy water change maintainers you could keep that also in Check with internal filtration..
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Thoughts on filtration 3 months 2 days ago #71836

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 492
Going high(ish) water volume and lower(ish) filtration is not my forte. I defer to you here toom.

Do you rely on powerheads to keep water from being stagnant? Or are air pumps enough to move water around?
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Thoughts on filtration 3 months 1 day ago #71838

• ted
  • Administrator
Rush, good points for sure. My return is very quiet. The main noise is definitely the return pump.

I would be sacrificing overall volume but my intention is to hopefully have the equivalent biomass of what I have today, but in much smaller fish. The bioload I have in there is pretty light, I think.

Might not be a great idea if the loss in volume is significant. Hmmm.

I am looking to use two power heads and also the air curtain for circulation. I definitely plan to maintain some pretty large water changes, but hopefully the nitrate won't be as bad as if I had the tank full of medium or larger fish.

I have an Eheim canister I can use too. I was hoping not to have things hanging, but I will if I need to.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds