Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Freshwater CUC?

Freshwater CUC? 5 months 3 weeks ago #71354

• JakeB
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
You guys helped last week with stocking suggestions as a convert my 400+ galllon display with 100 gallon sump from a marine tank to freshwater. I plan on having 2 oscars, 1-2 plecos, silver dollars and probably one other fish.

The tank is 9ft long and about 2.5 ft deep and wide. I am doing it bare bottom.

Question I have now if do you recommend any type of clean up crew or will they be eaten by the oscars?

Thanks
Tank: Display 450 g; 2.5 ft tall and deep by 9 ft long with 100g sump

zebra oscar x 1
red severum x 1
green severum x 1
convict cichlid x 1
tin foil barbs x 4
featherfin cat x 1
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Freshwater CUC? 5 months 3 weeks ago #71355

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 213
Oscars will try to eat anything they think they can. So that leaves out small cats like Ottos, Corys etc. Silver Dollars are actually a decent CUC on their own. They will eat other fish feces, but still produce their own waste. Decent sized plecos always make more waste than any cleaning they do. All said and done, its going to be you that's the real cleaner. Responsible feeding, diligent bottom vac at water change time, keeping mechanical filter media clean etc. Not cleaning related, but as to stocking, a small shoal of Tinfoil Barbs would be very cool in a tank that size. I have a single adult, about a foot long. Super fast swimmer, tough as nails. Not many home tanks can support a handful of these fish, but you could in that tank. Silver Dollars... meh, been done to death. Just an opinion of course, but worth looking into, ya think???
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Freshwater CUC? 5 months 3 weeks ago #71356

• JakeB
Great idea, freshwater is new to me so keep the suggestions coming. Tank is cycling now so will be a couple of weeks before I stock.

zebra oscar x 1
red severum x 1
green severum x 1
convict cichlid x 1
tin foil barbs x 4
featherfin cat x 1

Freshwater CUC? 5 months 3 weeks ago #71357

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 440
A megalodoras would be cool. They are gaint boney catfish and more pieceful as they look. They are snail eaters but maybe a little big for an 2.5 feet deep tank. Not getting much larger as a commen pleco so still possible but would maybe look a little displaced.
But they look super cool, like a living fossil
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Freshwater CUC? 5 months 3 weeks ago #71360

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
JakeB wrote:
Great idea, freshwater is new to me so keep the suggestions coming. Tank is cycling now so will be a couple of weeks before I stock.
What kind of water do you have? Are Ph and hardness within decent South American cichlid parameters? More Central or African friendly? CA communities are usually next to impossible, but you have the volume and footprint to have good odds on a handful of goons.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Freshwater CUC? 5 months 3 weeks ago #71363

• JakeB
I haven't treated the water with anything. Ph is 8.2 and water is on the hard side, somewhere between 120-250 ppm. Does this change any recommendations?

zebra oscar x 1
red severum x 1
green severum x 1
convict cichlid x 1
tin foil barbs x 4
featherfin cat x 1

Freshwater CUC? 5 months 3 weeks ago #71364

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
Your water is a fair bit outside the comfort zone of South American fish. Its very African Lake Malawi friendly, not too bad for some Central Americans. That said, aquarium bred fish will adapt to darn near anything you put them in. In your spot with a 400g tank and hard water I personally would stock with an all male African Hap/Peacock selection. I personally do not subscribe to the theory that African tanks need to be overcrowded, but you could likely get away with a nice collection of 12- 16 or so bigger Africans. As for Centrals, I am a big fan of Amphilophus and Parachromis breeds. Tough to mix though, they are a batch of killers. If you are set on your original Oscar and friends plan, some peat granules in a canister filter will put water at a lower Ph, more SA friendly.

Freshwater CUC? 5 months 3 weeks ago #71365

• JakeB
Love your idea, just watched some videos of these tanks. I was never set on an oscar tank, I just used to keep an aggressive marine tank so this seemed like a natural transition. If it's not too much of a pain, do you have a specific recommendation of an african hap/peacock stocking that would work well?

zebra oscar x 1
red severum x 1
green severum x 1
convict cichlid x 1
tin foil barbs x 4
featherfin cat x 1

Freshwater CUC? 5 months 3 weeks ago #71366

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
My African knowledge and experience is limited at best. I have kept a couple of African tanks in the past, but always went back to SA/CA. Not a lot of African traffic on here, it is Oscarfish after all. You may want to peruse a wider variety or African specific forum. Don't bail on us though, we surely want to see the tank in full operation. Africans aside, something else that would garner a lot of votes is to grow yourself a monster Dovii, maybe even a breeding couple. Check out Guapote Mel on YouTube. He is the Dovii master. Fishkeeping master in general really.

Freshwater CUC? 5 months 3 weeks ago #71367

• JakeB
Thanks. Too many choices for 1 tank!

zebra oscar x 1
red severum x 1
green severum x 1
convict cichlid x 1
tin foil barbs x 4
featherfin cat x 1
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds