Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Scared or sick?

Scared or sick? 3 weeks 5 days ago #70155

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
My Oto cat keeps freaking out and zooming around the tank smashing off substrate and everything. Hes never done this before. I just changed 50% of the 10G last night and removed the log from in the tank to add rocks instead. When I went to look at him he started to dart around and if I moved he would dart again.

He appears like he is clamping his fins, mainly the top one. He is just sitting still at the bottom of the tank.

He is a lone Oto cat, and I was wondering if this may be the problem. I was expecting to move soon so held off on getting a few more, but it doesn't look like we will be moving for another month or two now.. Would getting him a buddy help? I should be able to quarantine and add to the 10G before the move.
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scared or sick? 3 weeks 5 days ago #70156

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 52
removed the log from in the tank to add rocks instead
Did you do this while he was still in the tank? That could've stressed him out and he'll need a day or two

My syndontis don't like movement around the tank, every time I catch them while moving, they stop moving and clamp their top fin down. When I move their hiding place to clean the gravel they hate it. If I don't put it back just right they refuse to use it.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Scared or sick? 3 weeks 5 days ago #70157

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
Thanks, that's really good to know. I feel kinda bad for changing his tank now. But the log was just too hard to do water changes with it in.

Is there a good source you can link me to where I can learn more about Oto cats? I really adore them.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,

Scared or sick? 3 weeks 5 days ago #70158

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 52
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
4 juvenile peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Half moon Betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Scared or sick? 3 weeks 2 days ago #70177

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
He has calmed down since the water change. I might add a small piece of wood for him to munch on next water change but I'm going to try not to change things on him so much anymore. Thank you for the information you provided based on your experience. It was very helpful in understanding these guys a little bit better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackcougar

Scared or sick? 4 days 16 hours ago #70378

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
Or.... Female and pregnant.. I thought they looked extra thick.. They came out during my water change today after hiding behind the heater for what feels like over a week. I happened to get a glance at their belly and it's filled with yellow dots near the anal fin just behind the belly. It's the cutest thing ever!! I'm fairly certain this means eggs :) right?

I know they won't be making any real babies since there is no male, so where do I go from here?

Scared or sick? 4 days 16 hours ago #70379

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
The tank has dropped about 3-4F over the past couple weeks. I turned off the heater because of the weather, it was heating to about 80-82F, it's now sitting at 77-78F. Been doing weekly water changes of 25-50% replacing with week old water that's been sitting with almond leaves and a bubbler, same temp and tank. Don't know if anything I've done triggered anything, but this is my usual routine. Just thought I'd share :)

Scared or sick? 4 days 13 hours ago #70380

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 191
AFAIK all otocinclus sold in stores are wild because they're one of those fish that won't breed in captivity, so I don't think your oto has eggs. It's possible. It might be that some otocinclus do breed in captivity but there's just not enough of them so it's just common practice to get them from the wild.

I remember your water has a medium-high alkalinity (KH) so you can add driftwood and it won't drop your pH like in water with very low alkalinity. I used to think otos preferred brown algae but I no longer believe that in the sense that otos need to eat more than just brown algae. One of those things otos eat is the stuff that grows on driftwood, so I think your oto would do better with some driftwood in the tank.

Keep updating the thread. :thumbs:

Scared or sick? 4 days 8 hours ago #70381

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
pH is steady at 8.2 or 8.4, hard to tell. Very hard water. I added frog bit recently too, not sure if they liked that. There is driftwood in the tank, always like to keep a piece cause I noticed they often graze on it.

I could be wrong about the pregnant Oto, I've read about them being hard to breed in captivity. I can't get a picture of the Oto cat currently, but if I can I will. Also if I find any eggs laid, I'll let you know. However I found this picture on Google, this Oto cat appears to be farther along with the pregnancy then mine, but the yellow dots is what I'm looking at. Mine is very thick at his point.

Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds