Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Oscar splashing out massive amounts of water

Oscar splashing out massive amounts of water 5 months 1 week ago #69597

• tadmartin21
  • Poecilia reticulata
:wtf: I have a 100 gal tank with a two year old oscar and pleco only. Recently the oscar has started splashing water out of the tank, thank goodness for the top protection. I awoke this morning to tons of water all around the tank. Is this normal. The pleco is very docile so I don't think it's caused by interaction between the two. I think he has become mentally ill :confused: any suggestions
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oscar splashing out massive amounts of water 5 months 1 week ago #69601

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
I noticed my Oscar doing this when there is something scaring them at night, it can also happen if there is some kinda internal bug that is making them "Itchy" or uncomfortable. How much water do you change and how often? If you can post water parameters it might help narrow down the possibilities.

If it only happens at night, I would say its likely getting spooked. This happened to my oscar until I left a night light on in the room for him. Things like pets can also be spooking him. Maybe even the pleco simply grazing him while hes in sleep mode, I'm not sure.

Third possibility, he likes to see you clean up the mess :P
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,

Oscar splashing out massive amounts of water 5 months 1 week ago #69602

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 229
Could be the age of the oscar. I believe they reach sexual maturity at about 2yrs old. Could be related to that friskiness. I keep an adult oscar and a green severum in my 75g and they sometimes lunge at each other, slashing water out of the gap at the rear or the glass tops on this tank. My oscar will splash me almost every time if I lift a lid to feed them.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarshyMellowFluff

Oscar splashing out massive amounts of water 5 months 1 week ago #69603

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 403
Could be anything. Could also be an beetle, fly or other Insects on the water surface or under the lid. Could be spooked by something around the tank or something else.
Could also be a random tantrum by seeing himself as refelection or the tried to push the pleco away.

Ahh so many possible things.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Oscar splashing out massive amounts of water 5 months 1 week ago #69608

• Ernie14
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 75
I think we've all had an Oscar doing what yours is doing. As Toom said could be anything, but if you're indicating it only happens at night I would also maybe suspect your pleco. Being nocturnal your pleco is more active at night and has more chance of bumping into your Oscar and spooking him. Make sure your tank lids are secure, don't want to find him on the floor.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds