Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Moving Planted Aquarium

Moving Planted Aquarium 1 year 7 months ago #69480

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
I'm moving at the end of April, or sooner (hopefully remaining in the same town, but I'm not 100% sure yet). I have a small aquarium in the home and I'm not sure how to move it. It's only a 10 Gallon, but this is my first time needing to move a fish + aquarium/home, so I'm a little nervous. The aquarium has a few tetras, an oto cat, and a few plants in substrate and the rest are on my log. The plants in the substrate range from 1" to 8" give or take. I'm worried about the taller ones not self supporting well enough once the water is removed. I've got two layers of substrate, I'd like to try to keep the layers undisturbed.

I'm not really worried about moving the fish, I'm confident I can do this safely. However, I'm concerned about the aquarium itself, and trying to have minimum disturbance to tall plants and substrate layers.
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Moving Planted Aquarium 1 year 7 months ago #69481

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
Marshy,

I think getting more clarity on exactly where you will be moving will enable you to devise a solid transportation plan. If you stay in the same town, my initial thoughts are to remove ~50-75% of the water and transport the entire tank without removing plants, fish, light decorations etc.... I'd only remove heavy decorations that could crush any of your fish and/or plants or break the aquarium glass if jostled too roughly. Removing 50-75% of the water would reduce the tank's weight - making it easier to carry. It will also reduce spillage during transport.

Do you have any idea how far away you'll move if it's not in the same town?
The following user(s) said Thank You: FreshyFesh

Moving Planted Aquarium 1 year 7 months ago #69482

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
Agreed. 10g's are small enough to be moved with some water and contents in them. I wouldn't do it in anything larger. I have broken down and moved some of my tanks with plants. Rooted plants hate it, but tough rhizome plants usually don't skip a beat.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

Moving Planted Aquarium 1 year 7 months ago #69483

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
I am going with baretta. But if the oppertunity is there i would may deroot the plants i wanna keep and store them in an air filled fish transporting bag with a small cup of water in it to keep it moist.

Than buy a good soil, rescape the tank, cut the plants roots down to around an inch, replant and start from scratch.
For a tank in this size costs should be predictable.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Moving Planted Aquarium 1 year 7 months ago #69486

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
The aquarium is kept at my parent's place. We have till the end of April, but as of right now my parents haven't found a new home yet. I'm sorry I can't give you an answer yet of how far the move is. For many reasons I believe we are staying in town, but I also need to prepare myself for an out of town move, just in case.
If we don't stay in the same town, we'd likely be moving to the town they work in which is about 30mins away, or 45+mins if we went to the far side of that town.

I'm thinking of removing the water and fish. I'll be putting the fish into a tote to transport them with a couple rhizome plants to hide in. Remove decorations from aquarium and bag my remaining plants with a little water + air. I'm going to remove the fish because afraid if leaving the fish in while moving, the substrate might shift and bury my fish.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,

Moving Planted Aquarium 1 year 7 months ago #69487

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
MarshyMellowFluff wrote:
.....I'm going to remove the fish because afraid if leaving the fish in while moving, the substrate might shift and bury my fish.

Well thought out concern Marshy!! Good stuff!!

Moving Planted Aquarium 1 year 4 months ago #70401

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
I'm going to be moving now by the end of May, just found out last night. It is possible in the new home I may not have a room.. So the fish tank has to come to my boyfriends place for a while.

I may have a pregnant Otocinclus catfish and want to minimize the stress on them during the move, not sure how I can do this.. The move will be under 10mins away, just across town.

The water is different though, the new water will be softened. Their regular water was not softened. Should there be an acclimation process? I was thinking of bringing a few 4L jugs of their regular water to fill the aquarium before adding fish. Throughout the week I will add small amounts of the new water. When water change day comes I will change 25%-50%, replacing with softened water. I'm mainly worried about my plants thinking their growth might suffer because of the lack of calcium (I read hard water is good for plants, but correct me if I'm wrong :))... Also, wonder if the new water will upset my fish.

Moving Planted Aquarium 1 year 4 months ago #70402

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
If the Oto holds eggs it don't mean it's pregnant. If there is no male to fetrilize the fish only spawn fish food so no worry about that.

At best do it like the Shop. A fish bag with 1/3 water and 2/3 air. Close it quick and double fould the opening. Than close it with a rubber Band.

If you are there put the bag on the water surface to aclimate temperature or level it before by putting tanks on the same temp. Right now outside temps are so high a chilling problem will not be the Case.

Than open the back but let it still float. Get a shot glass and put any coupe of minutes a shot of the your best Wiskey in the bag till the fish start to become drunk.

If you don't have alcoholic drinks tank water should do it to. If the back is around 50 filled remove the fish and let him swim.
If the fish is small i prefer to remove the fish via hand from the back, especially catfishes often get stuck with there fin rays in nets.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Moving Planted Aquarium 1 year 4 months ago #70403

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 192
Water softeners remove calcium and magnium ions and replaces them with sodium ions. GH will read lower but TDS should be close to the same as your current water, so I don't believe drip acclimation is necessary. The method toom outlined should be sufficient.

Some plants do well in hard water and some plants do well in soft water. Most plants can adapt to either hard or soft water and/or like it in the middle. The alkalinity (KH) can have as much or more to do with it than Ca and Mg.

Your plants will go into a higher sodium environment. Plants can handle some sodium so this isn't necessarily a problem. I also don't think the lower levels of Ca or Mg will matter unless they're very low. Test GH and KH at the new place and post the results when you get a chance.

Moving Planted Aquarium 1 year 4 months ago #70406

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
I wasn't really worried about the eggs, more so the fish. I felt that having eggs might make them easier to stress or more likely to have issues with the move. I knew the eggs wouldn't become anything other then a mess without a male.

Female is out and about today hanging around the circulation pump and hanging on the bottom of leaves and the side of this rock. Usually otos are very "go-go-go" but this female seems to be slow and relaxed right now. But this is the first time I've seen her out in over a week.

• Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds